Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #2,581 of 2,613
I think that if I did order the SH-9 I would find it the same or worse and be somehow disappointed. There are a few reviewers that say it comes close to the HPA4, which I have heard.

If the SH-9 goes on sale or Drop I may get it.
I think they were referring to objective measurement. If not mistaken if talking about number games, then Geshelli A2 pro on ASR. I cant remember.

Aug 27, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #2,582 of 2,613
An amplifier would have to be extremely flawed to effect the frequency response in terms of shifting or emphasizing something like treble or bass. When amplifiers go wrong it really tends to be distortion and of course that can be expressed in frequency dependent performance, but distortion is not what people are talking about when they say bright. In fact people often imply the treble is too clean and bright which does not say distortion.

Sep 5, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #2,583 of 2,613
Only problem with the THX 789 is, if they ever develop any problems? (Mass)Drop won't help you. Bizarre that they would sell an amp that's really quite good but have no (as far as I'm aware) repair options available. Turned what used to be my favorite amp into the anchor dragging down my audio stack.

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #2,585 of 2,613
The DROP + THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier is a true audio gem that has redefined my listening experience. This amplifier delivers exceptional performance that's nothing short of extraordinary. The sound quality is incredibly clean, powerful, and transparent, making it a perfect match for high-end headphones and demanding audiophiles.

What sets this amplifier apart is the THX AAA™ technology, which ensures distortion-free, reference-quality sound. It elevates every note and detail in my music, providing an immersive, lifelike listening experience. The build quality is exceptional, with robust construction and a sleek, minimalist design that complements any audio setup.

The amplifier's versatility is also worth noting, with multiple inputs and gain settings, making it compatible with a wide range of audio sources and headphones. Whether I'm enjoying music, movies, or gaming, the DROP + THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier takes my audio to new heights, making it an absolute must-have for any audio enthusiast.

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #2,586 of 2,613
The DROP + THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier is a true audio gem that has redefined my listening experience. This amplifier delivers exceptional performance that's nothing short of extraordinary. The sound quality is incredibly clean, powerful, and transparent, making it a perfect match for high-end headphones and demanding audiophiles.

What sets this amplifier apart is the THX AAA™ technology, which ensures distortion-free, reference-quality sound. It elevates every note and detail in my music, providing an immersive, lifelike listening experience. The build quality is exceptional, with robust construction and a sleek, minimalist design that complements any audio setup.

The amplifier's versatility is also worth noting, with multiple inputs and gain settings, making it compatible with a wide range of audio sources and headphones. Whether I'm enjoying music, movies, or gaming, the DROP + THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier takes my audio to new heights, making it an absolute must-have for any audio enthusiast.
Wow, This is about the exact opposite of how I experienced this amp... I listened to it for 30 minutes and sold it. To each their own I guess

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #2,588 of 2,613
I liked ok until it broke.
The 1/4” output on mine broke in the first 10 minutes. Biggest waste of money ever for a sterile, lifeless, soulless amp.

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #2,590 of 2,613

1. Agree with @geoffalter11 ;
2. The very syntax of your post, JASTRONG, is redolent of chat GPT / marketing dreck; or is an abysmal attempt at humour;
3. Thin Hollow EXcruciating, AAArrrggghhh!!!
4. I would take your avatar amp [Woo Audio WA6SE] on any day which ends in “y”.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #2,591 of 2,613
Even though it's not a full balanced amp I once used one connected to a Schiit Modius, the AK4493 model, using the balanced connections and it was a really great sounding setup.
Agree - I use mine with a Topping D70s w/AK4497. Maybe it's the 789/AKM combo. But I wouldn't consider it to be dull, thin, lifeless, etc. as others have claimed.

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #2,594 of 2,613
Can you share how the volume knob was removed from the original pot shaft?

What new pot is that one?

Can you share your experience with it?

Thanks
Unscrew the bottom screw and all the screws on the rear I/O so that the backplate comes off. After that, you can slide the front plate and the entire PCB out of its housing.

The original knob is quite nice and reusable, but its glue’d in or the friction fit is very tight. Leave it for now.

I removed the old pot by cutting off the 6 legs that go to the pcb with wire cutters and then just destroying the old pot with tin snips, it’s crap anyways. Leave the legs intact for easier desoldering later.

When you destroy the plastic housing in the original pot, what we’re after is the metal O ring that is keeping the volume knob on the other side in place. If you cut the O ring out, the volume knob and the shaft it’s attached to will just come out on the other side. You can then use needle nose pliers to remove the shaft from the volume knob for re-use.

Finally, you’ll need a metric ratcheting wrench, I think it was 11mm, not sure, to remove the nut that is keeping what’s left of the pot attached to the front plate.

I replaced my pot with a resistor based stepped attenuator from Lazer Collection on eBay. My 789 is from the second drop and is still from “MassDrop” before they cost cut like mad. It has a 5k pot. Later models have a 10k pot so I’m using a 10k stepped attenuator with the special db curve and 1% Vishay resistors. It costs $25 USD. Only complication is you’ll need to either bypass a relay or relocate it with wire to accommodate the larger attenuator.

The better question is, how does it sound :) It’s a good improvement. Micro dynamics actually exist now. FYI I also use a cheap Jameco linear PSU with mine. I’m not done modding my 789 yet, so I won’t say any more than that.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #2,595 of 2,613
Unscrew the bottom screw and all the screws on the rear I/O so that the backplate comes off. After that, you can slide the front plate and the entire PCB out of its housing.

The original knob is quite nice and reusable, but its glue’d in or the friction fit is very tight. Leave it for now.

I removed the old pot by cutting off the 6 legs that go to the pcb with wire cutters and then just destroying the old pot with tin snips, it’s crap anyways. Leave the legs intact for easier desoldering later.

When you destroy the plastic housing in the original pot, what we’re after is the metal O ring that is keeping the volume knob on the other side in place. If you cut the O ring out, the volume knob and the shaft it’s attached to will just come out on the other side. You can then use needle nose pliers to remove the shaft from the volume knob for re-use.

Finally, you’ll need a metric ratcheting wrench, I think it was 11mm, not sure, to remove the nut that is keeping what’s left of the pot attached to the front plate.

I replaced my pot with a resistor based stepped attenuator from Lazer Collection on eBay. My 789 is from the second drop and is still from “MassDrop” before they cost cut like mad. It has a 5k pot. Later models have a 10k pot so I’m using a 10k stepped attenuator with the special db curve and 1% Vishay resistors. It costs $25 USD. Only complication is you’ll need to either bypass a relay or relocate it with wire to accommodate the larger attenuator.

The better question is, how does it sound :) It’s a good improvement. Micro dynamics actually exist now. FYI I also use a cheap Jameco linear PSU with mine. I’m not done modding my 789 yet, so I won’t say any more than that.
Can you post the link of that 10K stepped attenuator with the Vishay resistors?? I looked and could not find it.
Also, if you could share more pictures of the project if you have then would be appreciated!

thanks in advance. I am highly interested in this

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back