Master Clock Talk
Mar 22, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #3,316 of 3,353
to see if other people use it like me. and is there any improvement?
Yes. My DAC R8HEMK2 gets improvement with Square wave, but not Sine wave. To my ear.

Type in the search for this thread “U18” and you should maybe see it pop up.

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #3,317 of 3,353
A quick question; I purchased a filter to go on the end of my cable, but which end do the filters go on? The end nearest the DDC or the end nearest the clock?

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #3,318 of 3,353
A quick question; I purchased a filter to go on the end of my cable, but which end do the filters go on? The end nearest the DDC or the end nearest the clock?
The end you can hear it makes you like it more😁

Edit: found a picture
1C64D0EA-4E39-4CC4-AC75-C628476DD5B5.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #3,319 of 3,353
Hi Duong

I have an older Audio-gd dac without clock input. Better quality i2s input makes a big difference in my setup and I pair up the DI20HE with an OCK 2 with great results.

Love Vietnam, visit every year, haven't been to your city yet.

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #3,320 of 3,353
Chào Dương

Tôi có một DAC Audio-gd cũ hơn không có đầu vào đồng hồ. Đầu vào i2s chất lượng tốt hơn tạo ra sự khác biệt lớn trong quá trình thiết lập của tôi và tôi kết hợp DI20HE với OCK 2 để đạt được kết quả tuyệt vời.

Yêu Việt Nam, năm nào cũng ghé thăm, chưa đến thành phố của bạn.

Hi Duong

I have an older Audio-gd dac without clock input. Better quality i2s input makes a big difference in my setup and I pair up the DI20HE with an OCK 2 with great results.

Love Vietnam, visit every year, haven't been to your city yet.
Yes. Thank you. So you just combine OCK-2 with DDC. So are the results of the change clear and easy to recognize?

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #3,321 of 3,353
Yes. Thank you. So you just combine OCK-2 with DDC. So are the results of the change clear and easy to recognize?
I would say the change is not so apparent that it is easy and clear for anyone to recognize. With the clock in place there is an improvement that you can pick out, especially with separation and space between instruments and voices. Without A/Bing the differences you might have a hard time deciding which is the music with or without clock, but when you A/B things it is obvious. You can win a blind A/B every time between clock and no clock.

The amount I paid for the clock and cables is worth it to me. Plus it is fun to have a clock, to see what it can do and how it changes the sound. That is worth it alone.

If I had to downgrade something in my setup the clock would be the first thing to go though. Any other piece and my system would change too much in the wrong direction. I could sacrifice the clock if I had to.

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #3,322 of 3,353
I would say the change is not so apparent that it is easy and clear for anyone to recognize. With the clock in place there is an improvement that you can pick out, especially with separation and space between instruments and voices. Without A/Bing the differences you might have a hard time deciding which is the music with or without clock, but when you A/B things it is obvious. You can win a blind A/B every time between clock and no clock.

The amount I paid for the clock and cables is worth it to me. Plus it is fun to have a clock, to see what it can do and how it changes the sound. That is worth it alone.

If I had to downgrade something in my setup the clock would be the first thing to go though. Any other piece and my system would change too much in the wrong direction. I could sacrifice the clock if I had to.
Yes. So you mean using Ock-2 with U18 doesn't have much effect, right?

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #3,323 of 3,353
Hard to say until you try it. And it depends on what effect you are looking for in this upgrade. It's going to sound better but perhaps a different upgrade would deliver more results. It's not going to be huge. But still likely worth it.

I'm saying don't expect fireworks like what you might get with a better amp or dac.

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #3,325 of 3,353
Hard to say until you try it. And it depends on what effect you are looking for in this upgrade. It's going to sound better but perhaps a different upgrade would deliver more results. It's not going to be huge. But still likely worth it.

I'm saying don't expect fireworks like what you might get with a better amp or dac.
For me, using the NuPrime STA-9 monoblock amplifier is quite good. DAC musician pegasus. Nor is it usually the case that the DAC does not have an OCK input line

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #3,326 of 3,353
I noticed a useful improvement running the clock outs from DI24HE in Etherregen (75 Ohm) and R7HE Mk3 (50 Ohm). The clock is no better on the DI24HE than the R7HE as far as I know so I guess that it is the running the DI24HE/ Etherregen/ R7HE all on the same clock that helped? I cant understand the very noticeable audible improvement any other way. When even my wife notices I know it is substantial :)

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #3,327 of 3,353
I noticed a useful improvement running the clock outs from DI24HE in Etherregen (75 Ohm) and R7HE Mk3 (50 Ohm). The clock is no better on the DI24HE than the R7HE as far as I know so I guess that it is the running the DI24HE/ Etherregen/ R7HE all on the same clock that helped? I cant understand the very noticeable audible improvement any other way. When even my wife notices I know it is substantial :)
So upgrading OCK-2 with DDC U18 probably won't make any difference. Thank you

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #3,328 of 3,353
You could start with a cheap masterclock and see if it made noticeable changes. If it does OCK-2 will for sure better it.

I recently bought a masterclock from Alibaba around 100 dollars for my network adapter. I have a decent psu for it, the stock PSU is not good.

If you already have a good 12V PSU I would recommend you one from alibaba. Why`?

If you add the cost of Alibaba clock and a decent psu, you almost will reach the price of LHY OCK-1, roughly mathematics :sweat_smile:

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #3,329 of 3,353
You could start with a cheap masterclock and see if it made noticeable changes. If it does OCK-2 will for sure better it.

I recently bought a masterclock from Alibaba around 100 dollars for my network adapter. I have a decent psu for it, the stock PSU is not good.

If you already have a good 12V PSU I would recommend you one from alibaba. Why`?

If you add the cost of Alibaba clock and a decent psu, you almost will reach the price of LHY OCK-1, roughly mathematics :sweat_smile:
I had an extra iFi 12v psu, so I bought the Aliexpress Clock that @OCC7N recommended.

It sounds good so far. I will eventually take the time to compare it to my Aune Clock.

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #3,330 of 3,353
If you haven't already done so I suggest you review the U18 thread where a number of owners have posted their experiences using external clocks with the U18, including clocking only the U18 vs the DAC or both. I'd caution against making strong inferences from entirely different setups such as the Audio-Gd chain described above. How your DAC treats synchronous inputs such as I2S is also relevant - does it reclock them or leave them untouched? For example the behaviour of Gustard DACs in this respect seems to vary depending on whether PCM non-oversampling or DSD Direct modes are ON or OFF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back