Meet the HD 598 Special Edition
Apr 22, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #331 of 379
While I haven't tried the DT990s, from what I've heard and read, they are really bassy, whereas the HD598 aim for a more balanced response, so in comparison, it should be that way - the HD598 most probably have less bass than the 990s. That doesn't mean they lack bass, though. On the contrary, lows are present when they are called for, and the headphone even has a warm sound signature to it.

However, there seems to be a consensus that the 990s are considered higher end stuff than the 598s. So there should be an overall drop in sound quality. Where? How much? I don't know, I haven't tried the 990. But as for me, as a happy 598 listener, I think at that price, they're great for what they are - a budget hi-fi headphone. I don't think you'll find anything better under $200.

All in all, I will always recommend the 598s, especially at the discounted $100-130 price. So, back to your question, 'are they worth the price?', I'd say, 'yeah, totally!'. Go for them.

I agree with Veggie, airman. I've tried out both the 598 and the 598 SE, and they do sound GREAT! With regards to comfort, I initially found the 598 uncomfortable, but a year or so later I tried the 598 SE, and I found that if I put them on, then angle the earcups so the top parts point INWARD at me, they become much more comfortable. 

I also suggest you read my review of the 598 SE vs. my AKG K553 Pro (which I just replaced with the K550 MK II, same sound signature though). You may find it helpful. But yes, that price is MONEY! 

May 31, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #335 of 379
I regret selling the original HD 598s, time passed by and I miss them, and seeing some of the posts mention SE has different sound I'm left with a sad face cause I want the originals in black color! Why can't things just be simple. :)

May 31, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #336 of 379
  I regret selling the original HD 598s, time passed by and I miss them, and seeing some of the posts mention SE has different sound I'm left with a sad face cause I want the originals in black color! Why can't things just be simple. :)

I've owned both the HD 598 and HD 598 SE at different times Glorious. I may not be the best source on this because of that, but from memory I felt like they both sounded exactly the same to me. I own the AKG K550 MK II headphones, and I've read posts on here where people said the K550 sounds different from the K550 MK II, and the K553 sounds different than them both, etc. But then I found out that AKG had actually TOLD a customer who asked what the difference was b/t the 3 that in actuality ALL 3 headphones are exactly the same in sound! I mean, they actually ADMITTED that. So, I would just get the black HD 598 SE and try it out and hear for yourself if there's a difference or not. Worst thing that can happen is you don't like it and just return it.

I myself prefer the 598 SE (black), but I only went with my K550 MK II because I prefer closed-back over open-back headphones, and the K550 MK II sounds VERY open-back even though it's not.

Hope that helps. 

May 31, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #337 of 379
I've owned both the HD 598 and HD 598 SE at different times Glorious. I may not be the best source on this because of that, but from memory I felt like they both sounded exactly the same to me. I own the AKG K550 MK II headphones, and I've read posts on here where people said the K550 sounds different from the K550 MK II, and the K553 sounds different than them both, etc. But then I found out that AKG had actually TOLD a customer who asked what the difference was b/t the 3 that in actuality ALL 3 headphones are exactly the same in sound! I mean, they actually ADMITTED that. So, I would just get the black HD 598 SE and try it out and hear for yourself if there's a difference or not. Worst thing that can happen is you don't like it and just return it.

I myself prefer the 598 SE (black), but I only went with my K550 MK II because I prefer closed-back over open-back headphones, and the K550 MK II sounds VERY open-back even though it's not.

Hope that helps. 

A few posts ago in the previous page Lazyylistener said there is a very noticible diffence, so it all boils down to trust hah... thinking about buying both for Christmas and giving away the beige ones if its an identical sound. Plus I'd be able to perform and publish a direct comparison and close this discussion. I've never returned an item tho, thats a good thought.

May 31, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #338 of 379
A few posts ago in the previous page Lazyylistener said there is a very noticible diffence, so it all boils down to trust hah... thinking about buying both for Christmas and giving away the beige ones if its an identical sound. Plus I'd be able to perform and publish a direct comparison and close this discussion. I've never returned an item tho, thats a good thought.

Yeah go for it man. Maybe there is one, maybe there isn't. But people will still hear what they wanna hear. Or "can" hear. lol The beige one is nice too, so whatever. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #339 of 379
Yeah go for it man. Maybe there is one, maybe there isn't. But people will still hear what they wanna hear. Or "can" hear. lol The beige one is nice too, so whatever. 

Ok here's a guy that I trust, Lance from HifiHeaven who did a side by side comparison and confirms they are trully identical: https://youtu.be/Rzd62TAwnus

I suppose those that hear a difference either have a bad item, or are comparing to an older version but improvements were made by Sennheiser later on.

Also amazon.com and amazon.co.uk have product reviews for both models merged meaning any review for the original should apply to the SE black model, so that confirms it.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #340 of 379
Ok here's a guy that I trust, Lance from HifiHeaven who did a side by side comparison and confirms they are trully identical: https://youtu.be/Rzd62TAwnus

I suppose those that hear a difference either have a bad item, or are comparing to an older version but improvements were made by Sennheiser later on.

Also amazon.com and amazon.co.uk have product reviews for both models merged meaning any review for the original should apply to the SE black model, so that confirms it.

The 2nd point is invalid... :p

Many amazons have the reviews merged for the beyer dt770 for example.... And as we all know the 80ohm does not sound the same as a 250.....

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #341 of 379
The 2nd point is invalid...
tongue.gif

Many amazons have the reviews merged for the beyer dt770 for example.... And as we all know the 80ohm does not sound the same as a 250.....

Oh!

Ah well...

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #343 of 379
However, at the start of every review there is a banner that says, "Version" or something like that, that specifies which version of the product was purchased by the reviewer, so even though the reviews are placed together, each individual review makes it clear which version that particular opinion is about, avoidong any possible confusion.

Also, I did test the two models a while ago, and after about 30 minutes of A/B'ing, I came to the conclusion that both sound exactly the same. So count me in in the "sounds the same" camp.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #344 of 379

It's true Glorious that the second point regarding Amazon's reviews is invalid, however, that review on YouTube is a different story. Sounds to me like you've found your answer! So go ahead and enjoy the HD 598 SE! 
L3000.gif

However, at the start of every review there is a banner that says, "Version" or something like that, that specifies which version of the product was purchased by the reviewer, so even though the reviews are placed together, each individual review makes it clear which version that particular opinion is about, avoidong any possible confusion.

Also, I did test the two models a while ago, and after about 30 minutes of A/B'ing, I came to the conclusion that both sound exactly the same. So count me in in the "sounds the same" camp.

Thanks guys! :D Although I won't buy them just yet, already happy about it. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back