Meizu M6 MiniPlayer First Impressions (Compared to X5)
Feb 24, 2007 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

3X0

Headphoneus Supremus
This is going to be pretty short and sweet. I'll flesh it out later once my new portable set-up is complete (waiting on one item).

It looks great. The only problem is that while it comes with protective film on its front and back, it also has stickers on the back that were a pain to remove. I ended up with some sticky residue from the stickers that I can't quite scrape off with my fingernails (which leads me to ask: does anyone know of anything to get rid of the adhesive?). Nonetheless, it's very shiny and eye-catching. I chose black and I couldn't be happier about its looks (though I could do without the sticker residue on the back).

The screen on this thing is absolutely beautiful. If I had to hazard a comparison I'd say it's at least as good as the iPod 5.5G. It's 2.4" on diagonal and it's just fantastic. It absolutely KILLS the X5's screen in every possible way.

The touch pad is VERY finicky and extremely sensitive. It has a perceptible learning curve and gets easier with use. Despite its advanced-ness I prefer the joystick of the X5.

As for sound: when I first played music through it, I was amazed. However, as I cycled through more and more music, I grew curious. Some songs sounded "processed." I checked the settings, and sure enough, effects were enabled. I disabled all effects and tried again. It still sounded pretty good out of the headphone out. There's a thickness and vivacity to the sound that's very pleasing, and it's extremely loud. Anything higher than 5 (out of 40 digital volume steps) is unbearably loud on my KSC-75. It's very full-sounding and well-rounded. I'd say through the headphone-out it's almost as good as my X5, just lacking a little in detail. Its separation is better than the X5, and it also has a more intimate soundstage. It's also, step-for-step (they have the same number of digital volume steps), at least twice as loud.

For whatever reason, this all changes with an amp. I tested both through their headphone-outs at maximum volume with no effects and flat EQ. I used a Canare StarQuad interconnect terminated in 3.5mm Neutrik plugs. My amp of choice was the Go-Vibe V5.

When amped, the Miniplayer is a VERY dark sounding player, moreso than my X5. The hint of detail loss (in comparison to the X5) becomes more vast. It devolves an understated treble that successfully hammers the impression of less detail. Its mids and lows are more than fine, but its treble is quite lacking and recessed. Separation and soundstage become very disappointing (bad). It's actually rather surprising. In hindsight, I think the M6 may sound better without an amp than with!

I'm kind of disappointed as I was very much prepared to pair the MiniPlayer up with a nice amplifier for on the go use. I'm still keeping it, though, as its tiny and its headphone-out quality is pretty good, so I guess it can be a true pocketable portable.

My M6 MiniPlayer is the 4GB SP (Samsung screen) version, with the 2.001.1 firmware.

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 22
I've found electrical spray to be the best solution for removing remains of glue from stickers. Do it all the time at work. Nothing else works as well.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 22
Sounds like it might be a higher-gain headphone circuit, how is the hiss and noise with IEMs?

when you amp the headphone out... does it sound any different with lower volume settings?

curious...
Garrett

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 22
borninquisitive: Thanks. I intend on expanding this sometime during the summer, as I don't have too much time to analytically compare my equipment these days.

Marasmus: Sounds workable. I actually used WD-40 to remove the sticker residue recently, and it worked perfectly.

kramer5150: The M6 is hissy with sensitive IEMs (<70 ohms or so). My ER4P has moderate hiss, but my iM716 in HD mode is rather silent. The headphone out doesn't really sound that different if I change the volume on the player.

I can't stress enough the power of this player's headphone-out. After some careful evaluation it's definitely stronger than my X5's headphone out and drives all of my headphones with authority. The volume the player provides is amazing.. right now I limited the volume to 10 (out of 40) because anything above that is unbearable to me. It's got a really strong current going there..

I did an A-B between the M6 and the X5 on flat settings through the headphone-out and I'm feeling that the Meizu is showing more detail and subtleties within the music. Amped, the X5 is superior when using the headphone-out or the line-out, but the M6 really approaches its level of sound. As a result my Meizu M6 is now my superportable source (with the iM716), and my X5 is my heavy-duty home/bedside/long-trip source.

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 22
Okay, I tried amping the M6 with my iM716 using first the Go-Vibe V5, then the C&C Box V2.

Results are not good. Once you get loud enough to get to the music, there is a high frequency hiss and distortion that oscillates and persists throughout the music. This makes it unlistenable in these circumstances.

Also I'm now convinced the Meizu has a negative slope frequency response curve. On HD mode my iM716 has suprisingly satisfying bass, but the high frequency cymbals seem to be subdued. It's definitely a little dark.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 22
Did you see the firmware notes? Next firmwares supposed to increase snr to get rid of the hiss!!!

Jul 8, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I tried amping the M6 with my iM716 using first the Go-Vibe V5, then the C&C Box V2.

Results are not good. Once you get loud enough to get to the music, there is a high frequency hiss and distortion that oscillates and persists throughout the music. This makes it unlistenable in these circumstances.

Did you try amping it with the newest firmware available? Laxx says that it increases SNR.

Jul 8, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 22
Yeah, I've been using the latest firmware lately.. if anything it makes the unamped sound better than it was and the amped sound even worse than usual.

Jul 8, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i did end up getting one, i'd wait for the new one. supposedly improved battery life and a TV out option.

It's thinner and has support for higher res, 30fps video too. There's no reason to buy one now considering whats to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back