Meridian 808.2 - Anyone
Jun 9, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to hear it too. You would think for as much as Todd is charging that the fit and finish would be a little nicer though... To each their own but if I'm going to fork out that much cash not only should it sound good but look good too.

I was talking to Todd today on the 808i.2 and asked about the 307A. Todd indicated all the $$$$ are in the parts. I guess the question would be how much more would someone be willing to pay for a different finished look? Would that be worth another $500 to $1000? I tend to agree that it is a pretty utilitarian look but Todd indicated it weighs in at 60 to 70 pounds already with today's finish.

My Meridian shipped from Todd today so if I am lucky, it should be he Wednesday or Thursday.
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Todd indicated it weighs in at 60 to 70 pounds already with today's finish.

wow.

it doesn't look that big. i can't believe it's that heavy.

96651831.jpg

Jun 10, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow.

it doesn't look that big. i can't believe it's that heavy.

I am pretty sure that is what he told me. I tried to talk nicely for an audition but the shipping would be brutal. I believe Todd is going to be at the Chicago meet in November with the 307A so I hope to get up there and spend some time with it. I am sure Ray will also be in attendence with the B-52. However, the Apache will probably still be in my future after buying the Meridian.

Jun 10, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #20 of 39
That is consistent with some discussions I've had with Todd as well. I think the transformers are just damn heavy.

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it may be a good indication of the quality and parts they used. It does look a bit plain but as long as it sounds impressive enough for me not even care about its looks
tongue.gif

I agree. I wonder whether our buddy TTVJ may not try a few cosmetic flourishes if they don't simply serve to add cost. I don't know what the dimensions of that brute are, but given the relative scale you can pick up on from the picture, I'll bet those transformers are high quality and thus very heavy.

I used own some Conrad Johnson amplifiers that were similar cosmetically and stylistically (Premier 12 for example). I remember struggling to get the box in my front door and they couldn't have been much bigger. They were very top heavy as the transformers sat right on top of the chassis just like Todd's design and many others.

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is consistent with some discussions I've had with Todd as well. I think the transformers are just damn heavy.

Wow, that is impressive. I would like to lift the thing to prove it though!
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #25 of 39
The 307A is massive in person. That pic doesn't really convey its size. I didn't try to pick it up at CanJam but I can definitely believe 60-70 lbs. The 808.2 is even more massive than the 307A too, it was more than double the height!

Also just a reminder that the amp was designed & built by Pete Millett, not Todd, who's more like the seller of the amp. Hence the "Millett" in its name.
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #26 of 39
That's right Pete Millett designed it.

Jun 10, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been dealing with hi-fi long enough that weight doesn't surprise me anymore.

Actually, weight is very important to reduce fibration. That's probably why the higher end system all weigh more then standard or mid-fi components. Some might weigh in at 20-30kg!

Jun 10, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's right Pete Millett designed it.

Maybe todd was the ear and gave some directions of how the amp should sound, as usual, every amp is tuned by ear.
wink.gif
Alot f caps, resisers, wiring etc. will be tested out before one finds the best sound in the amplifier, or the best compromise concerning cost/quality.

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #29 of 39
I picked up my 808.2i from FedEx today. Much lighted than I expected after talking about the 307A hefty weight. Maybe it was just the adrenalin kickin in from the excitement. I am glad I went with the preamp version as you can also use its DAC for other items where from the manual, it doesn't look like the 808v.2 has this option.

I will try and take some pictures but I am not sure how to get them loaded into Head-Fi.

Picasa Web Albums - Audio Addict - Meridian 808i.2

808i2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back