Meze Audio 109 Pro
Jan 26, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #1,503 of 3,544
Come on an adventure with me, and let's try a Neumann NDH-30 together :black_heart: German, with Sennheiser roots.
I've checked out its thread, very interesting and has a great price but the angled drivers requires precise placement, the cable is very long (not that big deal though) and the soundstage is a question mark because some said it's huge and some said barely more than the HD6xx series :D Also some complained about the headband.

I'm not that afraid of the 109 pros treble because yes I'm a bit sensitive to it (whos not to some degree with healthy hearing?) but can't be worse than the M50x treble which I happily used until I heard the HD 6xx. But still the exposed drivers and just a tad higher price that I'd would be comfortable with are making me hesitant but really tempting due the authorized store is just few minutes away :)

The SR3 might be very interested at a pretty good price. Much higher impedance than the SR2. Not sure if that's bad or good. I do love my SR2's though.
Yes, I expect the price to be similar to the mentioned Neumann in my country and probably the safest sound, comfort wise. Reliability is unknown to me, I'm not that familier with the brand, in this regard probably the Neumann and Meze are better. But the 109 Pro is definitely a love or hate headphones based on this thread, yes I am so into this one that I read the whole thread which was maybe a mistake :D Hopefully VSG will post his SR3 review soon, that might will help, the measurements are uploaded which is promising. I'm probably overthinking it and I'm sure that I would love all of these, I'm not that picky, like I said I used the M50x happily until I was exposed with a better one haha

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #1,504 of 3,544
I've checked out its thread, very interesting and has a great price but the angled drivers requires precise placement, the cable is very long (not that big deal though) and the soundstage is a question mark because some said it's huge and some said barely more than the HD6xx series :D Also some complained about the headband.

I'm not that afraid of the 109 pros treble because yes I'm a bit sensitive to it (whos not to some degree with healthy hearing?) but can't be worse than the M50x treble which I happily used until I heard the HD 6xx. But still the exposed drivers and just a tad higher price that I'd would be comfortable with are making me hesitant but really tempting due the authorized store is just few minutes away :)

Yes, I expect the price to be similar to the mentioned Neumann in my country and probably the safest sound, comfort wise. Reliability is unknown to me, I'm not that familier with the brand, in this regard probably the Neumann and Meze are better. But the 109 Pro is definitely a love or hate headphones based on this thread, yes I am so into this one that I read the whole thread which was maybe a mistake :D Hopefully VSG will post his SR3 review soon, that might will help, the measurements are uploaded which is promising. I'm probably overthinking it and I'm sure that I would love all of these, I'm not that picky, like I said I used the M50x happily until I was exposed with a better one haha
The SR2 is quality all around. I can only imagine that the SR3 is an improvement.

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #1,506 of 3,544
Hi everyone,

My second post on head-fi.org...
I bought the 109 pro about 10 days ago. I cannot be more happy with the sound.
Although they are, by far, the most comfortable headphones I owned, my ears are quite sensible, as the zone around the ears (plus, I am bald). Also, my head is on the smaller side.
I would like to ask for advice on this matter: The headphone cups make uneven pressure around my ears. More pressure at the bottom than at the top.
For testing, I have attached a, sort of, little cushion between the head-band and my head. This has increased the "lift" force applied by the band, thus making the cups pressure pretty even around my ears.
As these headphones are so well designed for maintenance, I am considering two options:

1 Make a small cushion to put under the head-band (like my temporal solution). I could stuff the cushion with more or less layers of foam, to adjust.
2 Replace the elastic inside the head-band with a stronger, stiffer, one.

What would be your advice on this matter...? All brainstorming welcome.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #1,508 of 3,544
My NDH-30 should be here Saturday night, and I can give my impressions directly against the 109 while I still have it.

Let me know, if you have specific questions or tracks you want me to A/B.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #1,510 of 3,544
Hi everyone.

I’m interested in potentially purchasing the Meze 109 Pro.

However, DMS said he wasn’t that impressed with them when running on tubes.

I run a iBasso DX320 edition X with the Amp 14 module which is a dual nutube setup and it sounds awesome.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experiences with the 109 pro on tubes, and if so how does it sound especially the treble end of things?

Thanks all

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #1,512 of 3,544
That deal in the Spanish store has me tempted. I've had my eye on them since they were announced. I promised myself no new gear until I sell my Arya V2s, but I may have to bend the rules just this once.
What do you dislike about Arya, or think the 109 will do better at..? I would for sure go for Arya, if similarly priced.

Jan 26, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #1,513 of 3,544
I have both. The 109 Pro has a more intimate sound with better bass dynamics, richer vocals, and airy treble. I think they compliment each other well. If I could only pick one though, it would be Arya V2 as I find it's attributes to be more special.

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #1,514 of 3,544
Arya V2 attributes to be more special
Such as the sense of space, speed, detail/resolution, effortlessness, imaging, extension(in one or both directions), and comfort & build quality?

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #1,515 of 3,544
Hi everyone.

I’m interested in potentially purchasing the Meze 109 Pro.

However, DMS said he wasn’t that impressed with them when running on tubes.

I run a iBasso DX320 edition X with the Amp 14 module which is a dual nutube setup and it sounds awesome.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experiences with the 109 pro on tubes, and if so how does it sound especially the treble end of things?

Thanks all
AMP14 is a hybrid amp and it does a great job with the 109 Pro as the Lyr+ etc.
I don't really understand that generalization and why tubes don't match with the 109 Pro unless he meant a tube OTL amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back