Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Apr 23, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #1,486 of 1,493
Wow, your hearing is above the 20 Hz-20 kHz limit of the average human. Congrats!

I’m not joking; this is remarkable.
Yeah I was quite surprised! I've got a video going up on the headphone show this week which is on the subject of 'Do DACs make a difference' and ABXing between different oversampling filters. And after at least an hour discussing WHY there was an audible difference with Blaine (Mad Economist), he asked 'have you actually checked what you are able to hear upto?'. Which I had not :p

And yeah, turns out my upper limit is around 21k so that's pretty neat

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #1,487 of 1,493
I'm 25, my hearing currently goes up to about 21khz as I learned this week which was surprising.
How loudly did you turn up the volume to hear that high? I've heard of people going above 20K, but they had to crank the volume up to get there.

Beyond age, I think listening volume will play a sizable role in how bad that peak will sound. I generally listen at lower levels, where the main vocal should be roughly normal speaking volume. On loudly-mastered pop music, that's roughly 66 dB SPL RMS, low enough that I can't get good measurements in a rig at that level because the SNR is too low. At that level, I can hear up to 18.4KHz, and I'm 30. But my main point is that at lower listening levels, the loudness contours mean that we don't perceive the upper treble or sub-bass as easily, so peaks in those areas aren't as problematic as they would be for someone who plays things loudly. Then that peak just becomes air and spaciousness.

The peak you measured between 15-18K on the Liric 2 seems comparable to the peak in that region on the Audio Technica AWAS (both are about 6 dB higher in max level vs the Liric 1), but I don't find the AWAS' peak troublesome. But the Liric 2 has another peak around 6KHz, which could combine with the 18K peak to produce some 3rd harmonic emphasis for components in the sibilant range. While the AWAS has a dramatic dip in that 6K area, so the 18K peak doesn't sound as bad even if it measures at a similar level.

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #1,488 of 1,493
Age is only one factor tbh I'm not remotely young but my hearing is still way above average for the mean even ... (I'm 40+). But I can hear up to around 19.5khz or slightly higher very well in fact. I personally find the mid range of the liric 1 to be more pleasing to my ears, and find the liric 2 to be a little bit harsher in the treble and high mids. But that's just me 😉

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #1,489 of 1,493
Just as an update to this thread...
I am looking to see if I can get a different unit in possibly to retest. I find it very odd that I was such a big minority in having a fit issue that my bass response was...not good. If I'm able to, I'll definitely do an update and let everyone know.
I know others reported a seal issue with glasses, but I do not wear glasses. At the end of the day I can only report on what I hear and experience but damn if I don't feel like an alien with my experience.
:alien:

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #1,490 of 1,493
Just as an update to this thread...
I am looking to see if I can get a different unit in possibly to retest. I find it very odd that I was such a big minority in having a fit issue that my bass response was...not good. If I'm able to, I'll definitely do an update and let everyone know.
I know others reported a seal issue with glasses, but I do not wear glasses. At the end of the day I can only report on what I hear and experience but damn if I don't feel like an alien with my experience.
:alien:
For me, it helps to adjust the length of the headphones to be slightly on the smaller side.

To achieve the best seal and comfort, the headband needs to do its job, allowing the earcups to rest in an elevated position.

In other words, try the smallest position you can that is comfortable enough; the looser the position, the more problems you’ll encounter.

Also, it helps to put the headband a little towards the back than usual.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #1,491 of 1,493
For me, it helps to adjust the length of the headphones to be slightly on the smaller side.

To achieve the best seal and comfort, the headband needs to do its job, allowing the earcups to rest in an elevated position.

In other words, try the smallest position you can that is comfortable enough; the looser the position, the more problems you’ll encounter.

Also, it helps to put the headband a little towards the back than usual.
I did try several positions and adjustments. The main issue for me is the spring is too aggressive at the bottom of the cups, if that makes sense.
It's definitely noticable when you sit them on a headphone stand where the cups don't hug the stand. They naturally want to tilt inwards quite a bit. I didn't have that issue with the og Liric, so makes me wonder if just that part is a tighter spring mechanism. It just would not seal without me literally holding the cups to my head at the top.

That's why I'd love to try another set just to see. 🤷

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #1,492 of 1,493
I did try several positions and adjustments. The main issue for me is the spring is too aggressive at the bottom of the cups, if that makes sense.
It's definitely noticable when you sit them on a headphone stand where the cups don't hug the stand. They naturally want to tilt inwards quite a bit. I didn't have that issue with the og Liric, so makes me wonder if just that part is a tighter spring mechanism. It just would not seal without me literally holding the cups to my head at the top.

That's why I'd love to try another set just to see. 🤷
My brother has the OG Liric, and I don’t see any differences between them in the clamp force or placement. If you don’t have issues with the OG Liric, you shouldn’t have any issues with the Liric II either; the few extra grams don’t feel any different.

Consider reaching out to Meze about this issue—they are the best communicative and consumer-friendly brand in the business by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back