Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 26, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #301 of 13,028
Hi All, newbie here. Just wish to share some of my thoughts regarding this headphones during Canjam Singapore 2018. Meze was my 1st stop.
1. This and the Final Audio D8000 was on my radar. Sadly not due to my financial ability but more on my curiosity. Both are great end game headphones. But if I have to choose, the Empyrean will be my choice. Due to my inexperience I cannot describe the SQ accurately. What I heard was IMHO, way better than my own LCD2C, or other cans that I have auditioned. They are very comfortable. Looks extremely beautiful. If there is such thing as love at 1st sight, that was my moment in audio world.

2. It is my 1st time to meet the creators of such a beautiful headphones (or any headphones). Pavlo was the most friendly and approachable rep among the exhibitors. He was very enthusiastic and genuinely sincere with everything he said. Unforgettable moment for me. Wish him and Antonio all the best and to keep up the good work in bringing more quality products in the future.

3. Now the bad. Not happy with the Empyrean being a limited edition and with that price. This will be out of reach of many people. Sadly being a limited edition, not many will be able to hear and experience the bliss I heard and felt that day. Please try it out if you are able to. This is a masterpiece borne out of love by their creators.

Regards,
Melvin

I'm not aware of anyone actually being able to buy the Empyrean. From everything I can tell, until this point it has not been final-priced or offered F.S.

So 2 questions:
  1. At CanJam Singapore, was there a price shown for the Empyrean?
  2. And was it actually for sale there (or pre-order)?
Thanks!

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #302 of 13,028
I just wanna chip in some impressions, as I promised Mr Antonio, on the Meze Audio Empyrean.

I had a brief listen on the Empyrean on both the Cayin setup as well as through my own WM1A.

The Empyrean, at its core sounds quite like a planar, with the linear bass response that is fast and textured. The very first thing that hit me was it's superb imaging and accurate soundstage, providing a nice depth and width to the presentation. The mids are rather emphasized, with a certain texture to it that makes it very lively and energetic, and a slightly smooth, tame treble response that gives the headphones its warm tuning.

And hell if it doesn't look sexy.

Thanks to Antonio for letting me try these!

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #303 of 13,028
A84688E2-FB2F-4F27-A5B9-0F68E6C5DA13.gif
I just wanna chip in some impressions, as I promised Mr Antonio, on the Meze Audio Empyrean.

I had a brief listen on the Empyrean on both the Cayin setup as well as through my own WM1A.

The Empyrean, at its core sounds quite like a planar, with the linear bass response that is fast and textured. The very first thing that hit me was it's superb imaging and accurate soundstage, providing a nice depth and width to the presentation. The mids are rather emphasized, with a certain texture to it that makes it very lively and energetic, and a slightly smooth, tame treble response that gives the headphones its warm tuning.

And hell if it doesn't look sexy.

Thanks to Antonio for letting me try these!

The tuning on these sounds like it was designed just for me!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #305 of 13,028
3. Now the bad. Not happy with the Empyrean being a limited edition and with that price. This will be out of reach of many people. Sadly being a limited edition, not many will be able to hear and experience the bliss I heard and felt that day.
I can't imagine Meze would go to all the trouble and expense of designing and manufacturing a TOTL headphone from the ground up to only want to sell 500 of them.

I'd be shocked if they didn't eventually offer a less-blingy, (hopefully) less expensive version in the future for all the rest of us who want one.

Right, Meze?! :wink::sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #306 of 13,028
I'm not aware of anyone actually being able to buy the Empyrean. From everything I can tell, until this point it has not been final-priced or offered F.S.

So 2 questions:
  1. At CanJam Singapore, was there a price shown for the Empyrean?
  2. And was it actually for sale there (or pre-order)?
Thanks!

Did they say anything about their launch date? Is it still May?

1. No price shown but only from bits and pieces picked from this thread. Sorry if you mistook me for knowing the price. I should have been clearer.
2. No for sales or pre-order at the moment. I asked. All I know is it might be in May and hoping to be the lucky 500 if it's within my budget.

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #308 of 13,028
I really want to hear more about the new Meze products, I hope they will organize some Romanian auditions with their new stuff (as I can't travel to exotic canjam locations...)
You'd be one lucky man by living there. I'd venture to guess if they did, you'd be right there as one of the auditioneers. (is there such a word? :))

Mar 28, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #309 of 13,028
I can't imagine Meze would go to all the trouble and expense of designing and manufacturing a TOTL headphone from the ground up to only want to sell 500 of them.

The driver is co-developed with Rinaro, which may have something to do with it. It is pretty expensive to support custom manufacturing, and having the tooling to deliver a production run of the hybrid planar array probably only makes for the single 500 production run. Perhaps we will see another special partnership between Rinaro and Meze, but I imagine they are sincere that this is a limited edition, so if you are interested you should consider carefully.

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #310 of 13,028
subscribed, new technology, as it described, this is another term of
planar diaphragm.
When it is ready, it has to be compared with HIFIMAN HEK.
But, hopefully, not priced as high.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #312 of 13,028
@gto88

lol read the thread!!

I'm in a good mood today, so here it is:
- Limited to 500 units.
- Co-developed with Rinaro.
- Price not determined yet, but will be around 3000$.
- They plan to trickle down the tech to more affordable products in the future, this is more like a "concept car" (ie, what they can do when price is no object).

Mar 30, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #313 of 13,028
Thanks for the summary.
I admitted I am so existed to see this new headphone, and
didn't read the thread from beginning.
But, the $3000 pricing will drive me away.
mrspeakers aeon is so highly praised and just $799.
And even Utopia and lcd-4 are not so great to impress everyone.
I wonder actually most high priced headphones are just marketing
strategy and showing off new technology, doesn't mean that they are better ones.
I would rather save some money get more reasonable priced and good ones.
my 2cents.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #314 of 13,028
I understand how you feel, but we have to give them the benefit of the doubt...for me, if it has the sound, reliability, unit to unit consistency, stellar measurements and build quality, then the price is justified. The Utopia, LCD-4 and HE-1000 don't fullfill all those parameters (they all fail in one or another). We need to give this one time to mature and wait for impressions and measurements from trustworthy people, at the moment, we can't say anything because we don't know almost anything.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #315 of 13,028
I understand how you feel, but we have to give them the benefit of the doubt...for me, if it has the sound, reliability, unit to unit consistency, stellar measurements and build quality, then the price is justified. The Utopia, LCD-4 and HE-1000 don't fullfill all those parameters (they all fail in one or another). We need to give this one time to mature and wait for impressions and measurements from trustworthy people, at the moment, we can't say anything because we don't know almost anything.

I think waiting too long to launch is a mistake. It’s hard to stay excited for months on end. Plus the Sennheiser 820 is also supposed to launch in May, and I’m very interested in those as well. Honestly, I’m probably going to buy whichever one is released first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back