Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 18, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #7,771 of 13,028
I'm actually going for the ZMF Verite and was thinking of picking up an Ori for that sweet planar bass. I know it's just a modded Fostex, but from what I hear, they really did something special there.

Ahhh, Hifiman. Want to own one, but, QC scares me away at that price point.

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #7,773 of 13,028
I'm actually going for the ZMF Verite and was thinking of picking up an Ori for that sweet planar bass. I know it's just a modded Fostex, but from what I hear, they really did something special there.

Ahhh, Hifiman. Want to own one, but, QC scares me away at that price point.
If I were you with a limited budget. Before I buy the Verite and Ori, I would hunt for a used Empyrean at a good price/condition to use with the new gears. Depending on how much you like/hate it you can sell it back at virtually no loss. Because the bass of Empyrean is quite amazing... Might render both Verite and Ori unnecessary in one swoop.

Someone is selling an amazing Cayin tube amp ha-300 for $3000 that goes amazingly well with Empyrean and most other high end headphones. Another option to consider.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #7,774 of 13,028
Given the current world situation (pandemic), when is Meze going to wake up to Focal and put out an affordable 'lesser' version of the Empyrean? I'm sure they'd sell more than a few.

Flagship closed-back sure is getting ready but I can't hazard a guess on the price. Hope they don't price it a lot higher than the open-back flagship Empyrean the way Sennheiser did with HD820.

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #7,775 of 13,028
Yeah it's called the Meze 99 Classic

The Empyrean is a collaboration product with Rinaro. It's not easy to put out a miniature version of it.

Not sure at which price point you are suggesting but in the $500 range there's already the Meze 99. $1000 ish and there's Focal with a bunch of capable ZMF products.
Well, there's the supposed Meze 105 Classics (open and closed back versions) that were under development back in Feb 2019 for a projected price of $500.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rai...-penta-hybrid-driver-technology.875236/page-8 (Lurk650 post)

There's a website in Spain (Novomusica.com) that says the Meze 105 Classics are coming soon and you can add them to your cart.

https://novomusica.com/tienda/imagen-sonido-profesional/meze-audio/meze-105-classics-9863

Sep 18, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #7,776 of 13,028
That's a beautiful song and I listen frequently too! I (very slightly) prefer the piano version more though.
😁 Not a surprise, I have got it from you, in a Diana comparision report, together with Grace WanderWaal. That list is still my favourite. I have just added some more songs like Emma Ruth Rundle "Heaven". Thank you for that again :o2smile:

Sep 18, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #7,777 of 13,028
Yeah it's called the Meze 99 Classic

The Empyrean is a collaboration product with Rinaro. It's not easy to put out a miniature version of it.

Not sure at which price point you are suggesting but in the $500 range there's already the Meze 99. $1000 ish and there's Focal with a bunch of capable ZMF products.
I think it was a roundabout way of saying "I can't afford it, lower the friggin' price to something reasonable" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

A Classics 105 open and closed back versions? Now that's sounds mighty fine indeed. I hope.

Sep 18, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #7,778 of 13,028
I think it was a roundabout way of saying "I can't afford it, lower the friggin' price to something reasonable" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

A Classics 105 open and closed back versions? Now that's sounds mighty fine indeed. I hope.
If that's what he meant then I would be inclined to agree. The Heddphone for $1800 was making a lot of waves and people confidently say beat the Empyrean and other flagships. If they continue in pursuit to make the headphone lighter, it's only a matter of time until audiophile products take a nose dive into reasonable territory.

And BTW, have we as a community given Rinaro and their driver enough credit and praise?

Rinaro engineers: "These darn basturds at headfi have no idea they are listening to OUR driver"

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #7,779 of 13,028
I don't have a limited budget. My main issue is that I already did own the Empyrean for a while but did find some things about it that I wasn't crazy about, but, that may have very well just been my chain.

My amp/dac have since improved a lot and are on a path towards improving even more. I'm mostly just scared of getting it again and it having the same issues with separation that I first heard on some songs when I last owned it. Once again, I think this was my chain. There were times when it truly did sound like the sound wasn't cohesive and was hitting me in the face with little separation. However, the issue did get worse when I tried pairing it with no amp/dac and just used it straight out of my PC. I have a hunch that the issue improves greatly with better amplifiers / dacs. I was going for a ZMF Verite but there are some things to consider. Comfort would be a trade off compared to the Empyrean and there's a massive several month wait time on those. I have a Focal Stellia and I worry that the Verite is too redundant since they're fairly similar, just a question of Focal vs ZMF house sound. I don't have a TOTL planar in my collection and want to give the Empyrean another shot now that I have plenty of amps and dacs to choose from. I'm someone who loves the HD650, so, warm and non-analytical are fine for me. If I wanted a Utopia or something brighter, I'd have gotten it already. I want that smooth, rich, velvety planar bass.

Sep 19, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #7,780 of 13,028
What amazes me with the Empy is the bass... the power, the slam... its like being hit, it comes in that hard at times (track depending of course).

Listening to a track (electronic, deep house) Freedom - Steve Angello, Pusha T. At 1:28 the bass hit reminds me of being back in the club hearing this. it has impact... if you like that kind of music!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #7,782 of 13,028
I don't have a limited budget. My main issue is that I already did own the Empyrean for a while but did find some things about it that I wasn't crazy about, but, that may have very well just been my chain.

My amp/dac have since improved a lot and are on a path towards improving even more. I'm mostly just scared of getting it again and it having the same issues with separation that I first heard on some songs when I last owned it. Once again, I think this was my chain. There were times when it truly did sound like the sound wasn't cohesive and was hitting me in the face with little separation. However, the issue did get worse when I tried pairing it with no amp/dac and just used it straight out of my PC. I have a hunch that the issue improves greatly with better amplifiers / dacs. I was going for a ZMF Verite but there are some things to consider. Comfort would be a trade off compared to the Empyrean and there's a massive several month wait time on those. I have a Focal Stellia and I worry that the Verite is too redundant since they're fairly similar, just a question of Focal vs ZMF house sound. I don't have a TOTL planar in my collection and want to give the Empyrean another shot now that I have plenty of amps and dacs to choose from. I'm someone who loves the HD650, so, warm and non-analytical are fine for me. If I wanted a Utopia or something brighter, I'd have gotten it already. I want that smooth, rich, velvety planar bass.
Separation is a non issue with Empy. You have so many options. None you could go wrong with. But if budget permits definitely give the Cayin ha-300 a try. Retails for $4000 and is being on sale for $3000 with upgraded tubes as bonus. The Cayin will take HD650 and Empy to the highest level one can dream of. This is not an exaggeration. It might not be the absolute greatest but it will put a big grin on your face.

Not affiliated with any ha-300 seller. The Cayin is a magnificent piece for anyone owning multiple headphones and wanting the best sound out of each. It is heavy though and come in 2 large chunks.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #7,783 of 13,028
I'm mostly just scared of getting it again and it having the same issues with separation that I first heard on some songs when I last owned it.
I want that smooth, rich, velvety planar bass.
Do not be scared. No issues with separation. Just order it, when you feel you have your chain improved. In the US there are dealers with generous return policy. I remember one mentioned on this thread who was sending out a demo unit, and replaced with a new one if you decided to keep.

Hint: some members would recommend 50-200 hours burn-in period to get the best out of it. I am enjoying it from minute 1. Especially the bass, the comfort and the lack of ear-piercing. Maybe I shall not forget about the mids neither.

Sep 19, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #7,785 of 13,028
Separation is a non issue with Empy. You have so many options. None you could go wrong with. But if budget permits definitely give the Cayin ha-300 a try. Retails for $4000 and is being on sale for $3000 with upgraded tubes as bonus. The Cayin will take HD650 and Empy to the highest level one can dream of. This is not an exaggeration. It might not be the absolute greatest but it will put a big grin on your face.

Not affiliated with any ha-300 seller. The Cayin is a magnificent piece for anyone owning multiple headphones and wanting the best sound out of each. It is heavy though and come in 2 large chunks.

Andrew at Musicteck is known to be always kind enough to extend a discount on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back