Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Apr 25, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #2,866 of 2,941
I would assume that Mimic uses their own order numbers (order #4783 here) and then sends the request on to Modhouse.
Whether that send is immediate, or based on some batch amount, I have no idea ... 🤷‍♂️
Order was placed on 11/11/2023, no updates yet.
Yup different numbers. Direct from MH is in the 8-9 thousands that i have so far seen.

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #2,867 of 2,941
I’ve just put in an order on the mod house site, for the DS with custom color for the grilles. Now the wait begins…

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #2,869 of 2,941
Apr 27, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #2,871 of 2,941
Morning all. I've shared these in the Tungtalk Tgram chat long ago, but figured I'd drop a couple pics of my SN#007 Tungsten DS for those who haven't seen them. Ordered in July and received in November fwiw.

photo_2024-04-27 09.34.33.jpeg

I'm currently using the Carbon Fiber(CF) honeycomb/hex grills but also have the CF stock, and a couple sets of Au stock. The CF honeycomb improve the sound a bit for me.(Quicker transients, bass stops faster, overall sound is ever so slightly less damped so it sounds cleaner). I ordered the Ti-rods from Ryan, Ti screws from ebay and had monsterbolt USA anodyze them with 80v and had them sent back to Ryan for final assembly. The CF grills I recently ordered directly from Ryan. Both my hybrid and Ultra Perf pads have had the cloth removed and I still actively switch between the pads depending on song. If I want ultra resolution without compromise I use the UltraPerf pads if I need to tame/soften some of the highs and want a slightly more laid back response I use the Hybrid. After I added Jupiter silver bypass caps to my TS120 I've found myself using the Hybrid's more often than before, but still use the UltraPerf most of the time.

photo_2024-04-27 09.34.22.jpeg

These remain my only headphones, and I power them with a Galion TS120 Tube Stereo Integrated KT88 based speaker amp with a Zynsonix 8ohm adapter box with silver internal wiring. Im happy with the amp as it suits my preferences for both my 2 channel setup and the Tungsten DS

Picture from the Feb/2024 local AZ meet of the Wandla, TS-120 and 8ohm adapter box.
IMG_7574.JPG

Some mentions on the TungstenDS from fellow head-fier's from the last AZ meet.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/az-head-fi-mini-meet-impressions-thread-2024-2-17.971780/
What a beautiful setup. I did most of my Dual-Sided Tungsten on this setup. Very rich without being overly-so. Seems like a modern production quality added to old school sound fundamentals. Good stuff and glad to meet you.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/az-...essions-thread-2024-2-17.971780/post-17981257
Loved @CinnamonToastCrunch Galion amp paired with the Tungsten DS

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/az-...essions-thread-2024-2-17.971780/post-17990754
I was also impressed with the Modhouse Tungsten, both from @CinnamonToastCrunch's Galion TS120 and @koover's Flux MENTOR. Man those things give a snare some SNAP!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #2,872 of 2,941
Morning all. I've shared these in the Tungtalk Tgram chat long ago, but figured I'd drop a couple pics of my SN#007 Tungsten DS for those who haven't seen them. Ordered in July and received in November fwiw.

I'm currently using the Carbon Fiber(CF) honeycomb/hex grills but also have the CF stock, and a couple sets of Au stock. The CF honeycomb improve the sound a bit for me.(Quicker transients, bass stops faster, overall sound is ever so slightly less damped so it sounds cleaner). I ordered the Ti-rods from Ryan, Ti screws from ebay and had monsterbolt USA anodyze them with 80v and had them sent back to Ryan for final assembly. The CF grills I recently ordered directly from Ryan. Both my hybrid and Ultra Perf pads have had the cloth removed and I still actively switch between the pads depending on song. If I want ultra resolution without compromise I use the UltraPerf pads if I need to tame/soften some of the highs and want a slightly more laid back response I use the Hybrid. After I added Jupiter silver bypass caps to my TS120 I've found myself using the Hybrid's more often than before, but still use the UltraPerf most of the time.

These remain my only headphones, and I power them with a Galion TS120 Tube Stereo Integrated KT88 based speaker amp with a Zynsonix 8ohm adapter box with silver internal wiring. Im happy with the amp as it suits my preferences for both my 2 channel setup and the Tungsten DS

Picture from the Feb/2024 local AZ meet of the Wandla, TS-120 and 8ohm adapter box.
IMG_7574.JPG

Some mentions on the TungstenDS for fellow head-fier's from the last AZ meet.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/az-head-fi-mini-meet-impressions-thread-2024-2-17.971780/
What a beautiful setup. I did most of my Dual-Sided Tungsten on this setup. Very rich without being overly-so. Seems like a modern production quality added to old school sound fundamentals. Good stuff and glad to meet you.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/az-...essions-thread-2024-2-17.971780/post-17981257

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/az-...essions-thread-2024-2-17.971780/post-17990754
I was also impressed with the Modhouse Tungsten, both from @CinnamonToastCrunch's Galion TS120 and @koover's Flux MENTOR. Man those things give a snare some SNAP!
Beautiful headphone aesthetics. Looks incredible

Apr 27, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #2,873 of 2,941

IMG_7574.JPG

Some mentions on the TungstenDS for fellow head-fier's from the last AZ meet.

Gorgeous headphones!

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #2,874 of 2,941
Out of curiosity, has anyone compared their Vikingweave cable to Norne?

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #2,875 of 2,941
Out of curiosity, has anyone compared their Vikingweave cable to Norne?
Norne is better. But to be fair VW has upgraded cables.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #2,876 of 2,941

IMG_7574.JPG

Some mentions on the TungstenDS from fellow head-fier's from the last AZ meet.

That’s sick. I like the look of the honeycomb grills over the standard MH design. I didn’t even know it was an option to get CF grills let alone a different design.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #2,878 of 2,941
Wait, those arent custom grills?

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #2,879 of 2,941
Beautiful headphone aesthetics. Looks incredible
Gorgeous headphones!
I whole heartedly agree. Thanks!
That’s sick. I like the look of the honeycomb grills over the standard MH design. I didn’t even know it was an option to get CF grills let alone a different design.
I do as well. I think I have the first production set. They are pricey at $150 so not sure if/how long they are going to be offered. I’ve been whispering in Ryan’s ear(messaging him on Telegram) about them for several months when I found out they may become a thing. I think Ryan hasn’t finalized a design yet either.. this was more of a possible long term offering than an official offering from what I gather. My personal opinion is it should become the stock grill, but cost for the HP would have to go up. Plus it doesn’t have the MH logo, but I feel like you could easily add the MH logo in the middle of the hex and machine time would probably not be impacted.
Gorgeous! I’d love to get my hands on those grills.
Yeah not sure how many sets Ryan purchased for sale.. may still be possible.
Wait, those arent custom grills?
They are sanctioned by Mod House but I think technically they are still considered a prototype. Not sure exactly the long term plan on them. In the telegram chat Ryan mentioned he’s going to have some Au hex grills machined as they will be a lot cheaper to offer customers vs the CF.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #2,880 of 2,941
I whole heartedly agree. Thanks!

I do as well. I think I have the first production set. They are pricey at $150 so not sure if/how long they are going to be offered. I’ve been whispering in Ryan’s ear(messaging him on Telegram) about them for several months when I found out they may become a thing. I think Ryan hasn’t finalized a design yet either.. this was more of a possible long term offering than an official offering from what I gather. My personal opinion is it should become the stock grill, but cost for the HP would have to go up. Plus it doesn’t have the MH logo, but I feel like you could easily add the MH logo in the middle of the hex and machine time would probably not be impacted.

Yeah not sure how many sets Ryan purchased for sale.. may still be possible.

They are sanctioned by Mod House but I think technically they are still considered a prototype. Not sure exactly the long term plan on them. In the telegram chat Ryan mentioned he’s going to have some Au hex grills machined as they will be a lot cheaper to offer customers vs the CF.
Man, I’m jealous. And not just because your HP looks so good either.

Here I am sending emails to ModHouse 3-4 times already without any response for the last few months. All I wanted to know is the estimated lead time. I wasn’t even angry about the wait.

But you got direct contact to the producer and got your headphone modded to your liking… in some way I feel cheated. Sigh… this lack of communication from MH is frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back