Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Dec 26, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #766 of 3,065
The only interesting aspect apart form the amp pairing info was the fellow at the end showing his Tungsten with the slider mechanism like Meze instead of the click variant. Is this the latest and standard improvement?
Good question, and I'd like to know, too. Additionally, I've not seen the wood grills on the website. I wonder if those are available as an option.

Dec 26, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #767 of 3,065
Good question, and I'd like to know, too. Additionally, I've not seen the wood grills on the website. I wonder if those are available as an option.
They are - you need to contact Ryan directly about it. (I got two sets of wood grills with my DS Tungsten)

As with most of Zeos' reviews, I walked away thinking, " I enjoyed the video, but what does the headphone sound like?"
It's kinda hard to describe tbh. Theyre an excellent all rounder and not really class leading in anything.
They've got really good texture, decent impact, and great separation and staging.
I've tried rock, metal, electronic music all at them and so far everything has sounded pretty good on them. They definitely punch far above their weight (price wise). I can't speak for how the Single Sided one sounds though, and it is apparently harder to drive.

Some interesting (unrelated observations):
Fiio M17 can drive the DS Tungsten, but it could stand to have a tad more headroom.
McIntosh MHA100 actually drives them surprisingly well on highest gain settings.
Envy Does a stellar job at driving them.

Have a few more amps to try including the CFA3.

Dec 26, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #768 of 3,065
They are - you need to contact Ryan directly about it. (I got two sets of wood grills with my DS Tungsten)

It's kinda hard to describe tbh. Theyre an excellent all rounder and not really class leading in anything.
They've got really good texture, decent impact, and great separation and staging.
I've tried rock, metal, electronic music all at them and so far everything has sounded pretty good on them. They definitely punch far above their weight (price wise). I can't speak for how the Single Sided one sounds though, and it is apparently harder to drive.

Fiio M17 can drive the DS Tungsten, but it could stand to have a tad more headroom.
McIntosh MHA100 actually drives them surprisingly well on highest gain settings.
Envy Does a stellar job at driving them.

Have a few more amps to try including the CFA3.
How many hours were played on this phone for you to state your opinion?
I would like to hear an opinion on these compared to the ZMF Verite closed.

Dec 26, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #769 of 3,065
Has anyone tried the latest version of Tungsten with Holo Bliss? I see a few months back it was not quite able to drive it to 100%, but wonder if the newer version makes a difference?
Yes - drives the DS Tungstens very well with lots of headroom.The caveat is that ideally you need a hotter DAC with minimum 5.8 volts or so. Wandla or Spring 3 with preamp dacs with around 10 volts are great pairings.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #771 of 3,065
I’ve had my Tungsten DS since August (or September, I don’t remember).

In comparison to VC, Tungsten has way bigger soundstage, tons more details, separation and layering; it’s neutral. VC is super warm, with forward mids and tiny soundstage.
They are too different. Technically Tungsten is superior. But what you like better is your preference. I personally would keep both for different reasons.

Dec 26, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #772 of 3,065
Dec 26, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #773 of 3,065
Yes! Was pleasantly surprised how well the M17 drives the DS Tungstens especially with FiiO's PL50 power supply. Headroom hasn't been too bad for me. Find myself listening at around 100 out of 120.

Dec 26, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #774 of 3,065
Yes! Was pleasantly surprised how well the M17 drives the DS Tungstens especially with FiiO's PL50 power supply. Headroom hasn't been too bad for me. Find myself listening at around 100 out of 120.
About the same for me - varies with how loud the track I'm listening to is. Its not as good as my desktop setup, but its definitely decent for a portable one.

M17 is no phone - its no slouch to powering full size headphones.

I donno, maybe an hour or so. Was definitely more of a morbid curiosity thing..
I'm not gonna sit here and tell you the M17 is the ideal pairing, but it did drive them and the tungstens didn't sound bad off them.
The Holo May + Envy combo was definitely better. :)

I do have the VC and can try those out to compare it.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #775 of 3,065
About the same for me - varies with how loud the track I'm listening to is. Its not as good as my desktop setup, but its definitely decent for a portable one.

I'm not gonna sit here and tell you the M17 is the ideal pairing, but it did drive them and the tungstens didn't sound bad off them.

I use my Tungstens with the M17 quite a bit as a bedside all in one. Been pretty happy with it overall especially now that it works as a Roon endpoint. At some point though will aim to get another stack for the bedroom.

Dec 27, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #776 of 3,065
For anyone wondering about the SA-1 pairing, if you have a hot DAC and feed it SE and use BAL out, it should in theory have around 17db of gain + whatever you feed from your DAC above 2V. In theory it should be enough but don't know about headroom and all of that

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #777 of 3,065

I was referring to the Tungsten head(phone) opinions you made.
Please do compare the VC to the tungsten for me?

Dec 27, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #778 of 3,065
I was referring to the Tungsten head(phone) opinions you made.
Please do compare the VC to the tungsten for me?
Someone already did

I’ve had my Tungsten DS since August (or September, I don’t remember).

In comparison to VC, Tungsten has way bigger soundstage, tons more details, separation and layering; it’s neutral. VC is super warm, with forward mids and tiny soundstage.
They are too different. Technically Tungsten is superior. But what you like better is your preference. I personally would keep both for different reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back