Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 29, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #1,531 of 3,081
These numbers are getting out of control, getting crazy around here with out any reasons based in facts just because zeos did something crazy on his channel. That guy is in entertainment business more times than not. Let's just leave it there.
The main reason Zeos review is not really applicable is because he had a prototype of tungsten SS that was even more inefficient than the current production model, he does mention that in his review, and my numbers are base on what people have stated in this thread and my own research.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #1,532 of 3,081
The main reason Zeos review is not really applicable is because he had a prototype of tungsten SS that was even more inefficient than the current production model, he does mention that in his review, and my numbers are base on what people have stated in this thread and my own research.
He had them running on the production DS and using two of the amps at that. I think I'm going to pass on this setup and looking at the Violectric v222. At 135ohms it looks to put out around 20v and 3w on the balanced output. I'd think this should work well.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #1,533 of 3,081
He had them running on the production DS and using two of the amps at that. I think I'm going to pass on this setup and looking at the Violectric v222. At 135ohms it looks to put out around 20v and 3w on the balanced output. I'd think this should work well.
More than enough for tungsten tbh, you shouldn't have any real issues unless you listen to music at "damage your hearing permanently" levels, and I think that 3w at 135 should be higher than 20v, but I'm not so sure, I just use calculators that resolve recommended in this very thread. A lot of people are going to start waving the finger at me because of muh headroom and dynamics are gonna be lacking unless you have 6 gorrilion volts and watts on reserve, but that's the nature of this forum for what I've seen.

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #1,534 of 3,081
Too much ass power wise(even for tungsten), specially when we're talking about cheap speaker amps, and GoldenSound and others in this very thread had already stated why that's not a very good idea to be running Tungsten, or any headphone, in that matter, for both the headphone and your ears, but Zeos is gonna Zeos, don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but I take everything he says with a fistful of salt.

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #1,535 of 3,081
More than enough for tungsten tbh, you shouldn't have any real issues unless you listen to music at "damage your hearing permanently" levels, and I think that 3w at 135 should be higher than 20v, but I'm not so sure, I just use calculators that resolve recommended in this very thread. A lot of people are going to start waving the finger at me because of muh headroom and dynamics are gonna be lacking unless you have 6 gorrilion volts and watts on reserve, but that's the nature of this forum for what I've seen.
It's simple math:

V = sqrt(P * R) = sqrt(405) = 20.12V

Jan 29, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #1,536 of 3,081
It's simple math:

V = sqrt(P * R) = sqrt(405) = 20.12V
Yep, made I mistake, or tbh didn't even did the math, lol!!!, but yes, Ryan has recommended 20v to run properly tungsten SS version, but he also said that Jot2 could run them fine and that amp only goes about 18.5v max, going by memory.

Jan 29, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #1,537 of 3,081
Well at this point people are going to start scripting bots to sell on Ebay. Only reason we arent seeing $4,000 Tungstens on Ebay already is the lead time. The OG buyers are true Audiophiles and have mostly resisted, but, the hype machine has been full bore since December and the scalpers know about them. Hopefully most won't bother bc of the lead time and the generally tiny amount of units, but, definitely some are buying them to resell and double up for sure by now.

And, as a matter of fact, people who can afford to would probably be happy to overpay for them at this point. So much hype and such scarcity creates madness I'm afraid.
The market for this kind of gear is so niche that scalpers really don't even bother with us. If that was likely to be a problem we would see ebay & classifieds littered with Decware & DNA amps (which have had 2+ year waits for years already) and that simply isn't the case.

Jan 29, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #1,538 of 3,081
The market for this kind of gear is so niche that scalpers really don't even bother with us. If that was likely to be a problem we would see ebay & classifieds littered with Decware & DNA amps (which have had 2+ year waits for years already) and that simply isn't the case.
Yep and we have to remember that when scalpers we're doing all that stuff with gpus was during the mining craze(mostly) because you could mine crypto on them, you cannot really do much with Tungsten except enjoy music, if it was a limited edition release for a very limited time and a set quantity, never to be release again then maybe you could see this kind of behavior, but really scalpers imho are not a real concern in this particular case.

Jan 29, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #1,539 of 3,081
Yep and we have to remember that when scalpers we're doing all that stuff with gpus was during the mining craze(mostly) because you could mine crypto on them, you cannot really do much with Tungsten except enjoy music, if it was a limited edition release for a very limited time and a set quantity, never to be release again then maybe you could see this kind of behavior, but really scalpers imho are not a real concern in this particular case.
Yeah, GPUs & Rolexes are one thing, super-geeky over ear headphones that require multi-kilobuck amplification are a whole different story. :wink: I assure you, we aren't even on their radar.

Jan 29, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #1,540 of 3,081
Yeah, GPUs & Rolexes are one thing, super-geeky over ear headphones that require multi-kilobuck amplification are a whole different story. :wink: I assure you, we aren't even on their radar.
Well, I guess I will find out if my amp can drive tungsten properly latter this year(if I can buy them when the time comes), because I know there still gonna be there in the future, unless something drastic happens, I'm not fretting so much about missing out on this or that drop date to buy them, I'm also considering LCD-X, Hifiman Arya Organic and the new headphone ZMF just release which seem super interesting and also there's the Argon's from ModHouse too which I haven't listen to them yet and it's significantly more affordable and not as hard to drive properly compare to Tungsten and I also have a good reference headphone collection that I can enjoy at any time(I'm just super impressed with my Drop + Sen HD6XX with the Custom Cans copper weights installed, they really do take them to a whole new level and my amp drives them beautifully), I'm also thinking in upgrading my speakers on my desk, so there's other things in my mind that I could get which I know I'm going to enjoy regardless and I also have to buy a new desk because I'm running out of space fast lol!!!

Jan 29, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #1,541 of 3,081
Relatively speaking, the Tungsten "feels" a bit harder to drive than the Susvara. I do think these conversations get a bit more convoluted than they have to get. I would just be sure to get an amp that's known for driving insensitive headphones. I wouldn't try to skimp by on amps that aren't. Doesn't mean you have to spend a million dollars lol, but aim for amps that are known for doing so. And speaker amps in this use case can be really good values.

But it IS hard to drive..

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #1,542 of 3,081
Relatively speaking, the Tungsten "feels" a bit harder to drive than the Susvara. I do think these conversations get a bit more convoluted than they have to get. I would just be sure to get an amp that's known for driving insensitive headphones. I wouldn't try to skimp by on amps that aren't. Doesn't mean you have to spend a million dollars lol, but aim for amps that are known for doing so. And speaker amps in this use case can be really good values.

But it IS hard to drive..
I did a compare of the Tungsten against the Susvara to see how the Burson Voyager Amp would drive them.... all I did was adjust the Susvara until it was pretty loud and the volume was at 60... I then plugged in the Tungsten and just pushed the volume knob till they sounded the same loudness that the Susvara sounded... the reading on the amp was 65.... so they were pretty close ... 60 vs 65 isn't much

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #1,543 of 3,081
thank the gods.

Jan 30, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #1,544 of 3,081
Well, they arrived. After a few hours of listening it seems they strike a perfect balance of chill listening at low volumes but they also get very exciting when turning up the dial. Very impressed so far. It's a lifetime keeper this one. I'm using a Mojo2 with a Marantz PM5005 running on the speaker taps. They can comfortably go up to 90+db on average which is way above what I listen normally

1000030387.jpg

Jan 30, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #1,545 of 3,081
Well, they arrived. After a few hours of listening it seems they strike a perfect balance of chill listening at low volumes but they also get very exciting when turning up the dial. Very impressed so far. It's a lifetime keeper this one. I'm using a Mojo2 with a Marantz PM5005 running on the speaker taps. They can comfortably go up to 90+db on average which is way above what I listen normally

1000030387.jpg
When did you order yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back