Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Feb 24, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #1,966 of 3,109
1708819519800.png

Found this chart that shows the relative loudness of the Topping amps at high impedance
So I understand that the LA90 can output 111 db spl with its 21 Vrms cranked all the way up so an A30 pro would output about 96 db spl cranked all the way up, no ? I can listen to my cans loud, but 96 db spl would make my ear drums distort. I think I might be too sensitive.

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #1,967 of 3,109
It would likely only be an issue with transients. If you don’t have enough power for about 20 dB of headroom (which is a huge amount of power usually because dB scale is logarithmic), it is my understanding that you will get clipping only one transients and loud passages that will sound like loss of clarity or harsh distortion. Someone please correct if I’m off base on that.
That would actually make a lot of sense .

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #1,968 of 3,109
I’m confused. How satisfyingly loud are you listening to your music ? The A30 pro should be able to make you deaf in about 3 minutes at this power rating. Or am I missing something?
I don't have a way to measure, but maybe there was something wrong in the setup. High gain maxed out it wasn't even close to a deafening volume. I could still hear my mouse clicking on my desk.

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #1,970 of 3,109
Re-posting for reference:

https://headphoneresource.com/

You can see SPL as well as max SPL w/ 20 dB headroom for the Tungsten vs many popular amps on that calculator.

Torq on the headphones.com forum runs that tool. Also, the forum thread on the Tungsten over there has some good discussion of this issue.

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #1,971 of 3,109
Re-posting for reference:

https://headphoneresource.com/

You can see SPL as well as max SPL w/ 20 dB headroom for the Tungsten vs many popular amps on that calculator.

Torq on the headphones.com forum runs that tool. Also, the forum thread on the Tungsten over there has some good discussion of this issue.
Thanks for sharing that. Now that I’m looking at it, I’m just more mind boggled. 88db spl (with 20db headroom) is plenty loud as in “ok let’s turn it down a bunch” type of loud.

There has to be something that I don’t understand here.

Attachments

• IMG_2447.jpeg
    IMG_2447.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 0
Feb 24, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #1,972 of 3,109
Thanks for sharing that. Now that I’m looking at it, I’m just more mind boggled. 88db spl (with 20db headroom) is plenty loud as in “ok let’s turn it down a bunch” type of loud.

I kind of feel the same at this point. I just wonder if there is a mystique about these that is just out of proportion to reality… I guess I will know soon enough. I will def test on A90D, but it will be a few months before they arrive…

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #1,973 of 3,109
I kind of feel the same at this point. I just wonder if there is a mystique about these that is just out of proportion to reality… I guess I will know soon enough. I will def test on A90D, but it will be a few months before they arrive…
I don’t like to be the negative one, especially when I don’t have hands on proof but it definitely seems like a big chunk of hype from afar with the delay and the actual capacity for the public to get a set. A lot of red flag imo. Especially with the power requirements that doesn’t seem to fit the science. I hope it’s really just enthusiasm and it is just “mystical “ as you said.

Weird weird weird.

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #1,974 of 3,109
I don’t like to be the negative one, especially when I don’t have hands on proof but it definitely seems like a big chunk of hype from afar with the delay and the actual capacity for the public to get a set.
Tungsten really is an exceptional headphone. If you're not looking to spend $4000+ it's about the best I think you can do. Unless you like meze tuning, but I find empyrean and elite to be obnoxious sounding. Tungsten also smokes the likes of Expanse which just sounds broken in comparison. It's just not at the level of Susvara or x9000 to my ear, and it really doesn't need to be anyways. To me Caldera is the only real competition Tungsten has atm.

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #1,975 of 3,109

If you look at this Schiit FAQ about their amp: Rekkr FAQ. They talk about how their small Watt output can drive powerful speakers where others with higher output would fail. I suspect they did the same with the MJ3.

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #1,976 of 3,109
So Tungstens are both low sensitivity and high impedance.
As such they need more than just a certain amount of watts.
Im not an engineer but my speculation would be they need more pure current as well as more voltage to sing.

Or whatever it is. Cans like Susvara are low sensitivity but also low impedance.

Feb 24, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #1,977 of 3,109
So Tungstens are both low sensitivity and high impedance.
As such they need more than just a certain amount of watts.
Im not an engineer but my speculation would be they need more pure current as well as more voltage to sing.

Or whatever it is. Cans like Susvara are low sensitivity but also low impedance.
Basically this is what I’m understanding.

And I honestly think, to get 80+% out of the Tungsten’s, they need more than just power.

As has been said before, if you think of watts that are the BHP in the car world. But it’s torque that makes you feel the power and for the Tungsten’s you need high volts out the amp too?

You need headroom and low down grunt.

These are a “cheap” headphone that while yes as cans they are a bargain. But you are simply not going to get them to sing with sub $1000 without finding a gem like the Flux FA-10.

So, people (in my honestly lacking opinion), to get the quality of sound these can produce, you buy a cheaper amp with the 8-10w and the more expensive susvara.

Or you buy the Tungs and simply have except you need the amp with big bad balls.

I honestly don’t think you can cheap out on the amp.

Now if the amp producers gave us all in for we need as discussed earlier, people can work out what amps are going to work. People can then buy the Tungs with confidence and not be disappointed.

OR. You realise you can’t do them justice and the quest to but these are easier.

People are going mad for these and I do think 50% of them are wasting their time.

This is where Tungsten 2.0 will come with some refinement they will be on far greater reach for a lot more people.

Forgetting the value IF you have the amp, this is why they are cheap and the susvara’s of this world are so pricey. HifiMan want to sell as many as they can. They’ve spent a lot of money making them as accessible as they think they can get away with. They still need power but they just need BHP power (to an extent) they will always be better with torque monster amps too of course.

Ryan just wants to make them as good as he can and leave it up to us to power.

These are a cheat headphone like the Suzuki Escudo in Gran Turismo 2 but you cannot cheat you way into powering them.

But I am in now way am expect. I’m just drunk so could be taking complete bollocks. It’s just my hazy 2 pennies worth.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #1,979 of 3,109
Basically this is what I’m understanding.

And I honestly think, to get 80+% out of the Tungsten’s, they need more than just power.

As has been said before, if you think of watts that are the BHP in the car world. But it’s torque that makes you feel the power and for the Tungsten’s you need high volts out the amp too?

You need headroom and low down grunt.

These are a “cheap” headphone that while yes as cans they are a bargain. But you are simply not going to get them to sing with sub $1000 without finding a gem like the Flux FA-10.

So, people (in my honestly lacking opinion), to get the quality of sound these can produce, you buy a cheaper amp with the 8-10w and the more expensive susvara.

Or you buy the Tungs and simply have except you need the amp with big bad balls.

I honestly don’t think you can cheap out on the amp.

Now if the amp producers gave us all in for we need as discussed earlier, people can work out what amps are going to work. People can then buy the Tungs with confidence and not be disappointed.

OR. You realise you can’t do them justice and the quest to but these are easier.

People are going mad for these and I do think 50% of them are wasting their time.

This is where Tungsten 2.0 will come with some refinement they will be on far greater reach for a lot more people.

Forgetting the value IF you have the amp, this is why they are cheap and the susvara’s of this world are so pricey. HifiMan want to sell as many as they can. They’ve spent a lot of money making them as accessible as they think they can get away with. They still need power but they just need BHP power (to an extent) they will always be better with torque monster amps too of course.

Ryan just wants to make them as good as he can and leave it up to us to power.

These are a cheat headphone like the Suzuki Escudo in Gran Turismo 2 but you cannot cheat you way into powering them.

But I am in now way am expect. I’m just drunk so could be taking complete bollocks. It’s just my hazy 2 pennies worth.
Yep, great analogy. Needs some more torque to push past that impedance wall.

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #1,980 of 3,109
Anyone using or intend to try these with rme stuff? I have the newer pro se unit and I’m curious if it will even get me close to the DS I have on order
I have the non pro ADI-2 and it gets to decent listening levels at near max output. Almost no headroom, through. So i think the new 2/4 pro version probably has enough power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back