Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #1,023 of 8,051
  too much hunger for high price to performance ratio headphones

500 units over 5 days isn't necessarily flying off the shelves. Of course I'm unfairly comparing to today's electronics sales numbers that are usually in the millions for cell phones and I've never seen headphone sales numbers.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #1,024 of 8,051
    500 units over 5 days isn't necessarily flying off the shelves. Of course I'm unfairly comparing to today's electronics sales numbers that are usually in the millions for cell phones and I've never seen headphone sales numbers.
they are new in the headphones market, so 500 for 5 days is a good ting, and that's only the beginning

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #1,025 of 8,051
Hi cskippy, thank you for sharing us your wonderful insights. I just have a "few" questions that I would like to ask you:

1. Would you say these are the HD 650 killers?

No. They are still different enough that they won't replace the HD650. HD650 has excellent timbre, and only held back by slightly attenuated treble, muddy sounding bass from the mid bass bump and a lack of ultimate extension for sub bass. M1060 has more overall bass with much better sub bass, and extended treble which makes the midrange sound slightly recessed.

2. How would you rate their comfort with the pad mod against the hd-650 (weight, clamp force, heat in earcups)?

Comfort is a 10 especially with the alt pads. They're a little heavier than the HD650 but the suspension strap and pillow like Audeze pads distribute the weight perfectly. Clamp is just enough to get a good seal but they will fall ofg if your head banging. Heat is worse in stock form but not bad at all with the Audeze pads, just slightly warmer compared to HD650.

3. How recessed are the mids compare to ksc-75, dt770/dt990 and hd650? I love the hd650 mids. Dt770 and 990 are def recessed, 990 the most (hate those mids). I only kept the 770 for its isolation and bass. Ksc-75's highs and lows very slightly emphasized (I can tolerate those).

I haven't heard the DT990 but compared to DT880 they are a huge step up. Sounds actually seem realistic in comparison. HD650 has more forward mids and has a true downward sloping frequency response. To me, they are a little to mid focused. Sounds usually seem to forward and in your face. M1060 pulls the sound away from you like listening to speakers in a lively room.

4. What do you really mean by they are "Similar in tonality to HD6XX in the mids?"

They have a similar smooth and accurate sound that makes vocals, strings, and guitars sound correct. The only difference is the M1060 midrange is just pushed down a bit by comparison.

5. By "no mid bass bump," does that mean hd650 has more slam and bass impact than the m1060 (more quantity but not quality?

This depends on the song. A metal song with a fast double kick usually has more mid bass and beater emphasis. HD650 will make the kick sound like it has more impact and power because of the mid bass bump. An EDM song with a deep synthetic kick sample will sound way deeper and be more apparent with the M1060.

6. How would you rate m1060's bass to dt770 pro 80 ohm?

Easily better in every way. It's more accurate, so less mid bass and more linear sub bass.

7. How is soundstage and imaging compared to hd650?

Like I meantioned above, everything will sound a little further away which makes differentiating sound placement easier. They have a slightly wider and maybe even deeper soundstage. What impresses me the most is that while gaming, I can fix in on a sound that's repeating and when I turn around I can hear it travel around my head and it stays the same distance away from me. The 3D soundstage is almost perfectly circular. I haven't heard this on any other headphone.

8. How well does the m1060 respond to eq down the treble?

The treble doesn't need to be EQ'd especially with the Audeze pads. If anything a slight broad bump around 5-6kHz would be all you need.

Sorry for being long-winded. Thank you for your patience.
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad you mentioned the DT-880. I was wondering about that. I always found myself wanting just a little bit more mid-range clarity from them. They are nice headphones but I prefer my AKG early production sextetts over them for music. The DT-880's are now my movie headphones. Loved the Grado SR225i's mid-range. I'm hoping for something closer to the Grado/Sextett mid-range. It sounds as if the M1060 may be what I need. I should know by Wednesday.  

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,026 of 8,051
I notice they changed the warranty from 5 years to 1 year, i just happen to scroll down. I wonder why, unless it was an mistake on their part and they meant to put 1 year.

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #1,029 of 8,051
It's something to keep in mind, but not entirely a deal breaker for me at least. Then again, I'm also considering a more expensive planar. Decisions when it comes to this one are kind of rough, but the feedback's feeling good so far for the most part.

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #1,030 of 8,051
Mine came in yesterday. 

(Click picture to enlarge)

Here are my initial assessments, hopefully helpful to the conversation...

Physical Characteristics:

1. Carrying case is massive, lots of storage space for a DAP/Amp
  2. CNC cutting of metal grills is rough, some edges sharp enough to cut skin but otherwise sharp (puns) looking
  3. MMCX connectors feel VERY inadequate, left channel is fine but right channel loses connection if I shake my head left-right (ear to elbow). Easily reconnects but I've never had this happen on any other headphone so unacceptable.
  4. Cable is thinner than I expected, feels cheap and can't believe it's a 3.5mm termination
  5. Headband strap feels cheap but the overall comfort is great
  6. Not a fan of how the headband adjusts or the plastic parts (pretty sure I saw a tiny piece shoot off when initially adjusting) but it works and has a 5 year warranty...
  7. Pads are super comfy, best of any headphone I have (TH-X00, HD598CS, HD600, X2...)
  8. Unexpected microphonics when my teeth hit, I've only had this with deep IEMs

Amping Experience:

1. iPhone 7 + Apple Lightning Adapter - sounds surprisingly good, way better than I thought, max safe volume = 90%
  2. FiiO E10K - in High Gain mode there is plenty of power for volume, haven't spent enough time to confirm if it's a good fit but it gets the job done, max safe volume starts at 2.5 on the dial. Bass boost is overwhelming, Low Gain isn't powerful enough.
  3. Schiit Fulla 2 - coming soon... (forgot it at the office)
  4. Schiit Magni 2U + Modi - Great combo as far as power. Max safe volume starts ~12 o'clock in High Gain mode.

Performance:

1. Sub-bass feels sometimes lacking but when I listen to test tracks I hear exactly what I want to hear. Maybe these need some time.
  2. Bass is good, doesn't hit as hard as I'm used to with my Fostex TH-X00
  3. Midrange is lovely so far with the exception of some female/high-male voices which
  4. Treble - nothing of note so far
  5. These leak sound like no other. It's expected behavior of course, even still they leak more than HD600s
  6. At least in my initial listening session these are as transparent as HD600s, wide soundstage but not as articulate

If you have HD600, Fidelio X2, Fostex TH-X00 etc, these appear to be a side-grade rather than upgrade; at least so far

I'm looking forward to breaking these in, getting used to the sound and sharing more thoughts later. In the end I don't regret purchasing them as my first planar headphones. Anyone comparing them to LCD-3s is probably smoking some good stuff but they're still lovely headphones.

Weakest links are the cable, connector, CNC craftsmanship and some of the plastic components.

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #1,031 of 8,051
  Mine came in yesterday. 

(Click picture to enlarge)

Here are my initial assessments, hopefully helpful to the conversation...

Physical Characteristics:

1. Carrying case is massive, lots of storage space for a DAP/Amp
  2. CNC cutting of metal grills is rough, some edges sharp enough to cut skin but otherwise sharp (puns) looking
  3. MMCX connectors feel VERY inadequate, left channel is fine but right channel loses connection if I shake my head left-right (ear to elbow). Easily reconnects but I've never had this happen on any other headphone so unacceptable.
  4. Cable is thinner than I expected, feels cheap and can't believe it's a 3.5mm termination
  5. Headband strap feels cheap but the overall comfort is great
  6. Not a fan of how the headband adjusts or the plastic parts (pretty sure I saw a tiny piece shoot off when initially adjusting) but it works and has a 5 year warranty...
  7. Pads are super comfy, best of any headphone I have (TH-X00, HD598CS, HD600, X2...)
  8. Unexpected microphonics when my teeth hit, I've only had this with deep IEMs

Amping Experience:

1. iPhone 7 + Apple Lightning Adapter - sounds surprisingly good, way better than I thought, max safe volume = 90%
  2. FiiO E10K - in High Gain mode there is plenty of power for volume, haven't spent enough time to confirm if it's a good fit but it gets the job done, max safe volume starts at 2.5 on the dial. Bass boost is overwhelming, Low Gain isn't powerful enough.
  3. Schiit Fulla 2 - coming soon... (forgot it at the office)
  4. Schiit Magni 2U + Modi - Great combo as far as power. Max safe volume starts ~12 o'clock in High Gain mode.

Performance:

1. Sub-bass feels sometimes lacking but when I listen to test tracks I hear exactly what I want to hear. Maybe these need some time.
  2. Bass is good, doesn't hit as hard as I'm used to with my Fostex TH-X00
  3. Midrange is lovely so far with the exception of some female/high-male voices which
  4. Treble - nothing of note so far
  5. These leak sound like no other. It's expected behavior of course, even still they leak more than HD600s
  6. At least in my initial listening session these are as transparent as HD600s, wide soundstage but not as articulate

If you have HD600, Fidelio X2, Fostex TH-X00 etc, these appear to be a side-grade rather than upgrade; at least so far

I'm looking forward to breaking these in, getting used to the sound and sharing more thoughts later. In the end I don't regret purchasing them as my first planar headphones. Anyone comparing them to LCD-3s is probably smoking some good stuff but they're still lovely headphones.

Weakest links are the cable, connector, CNC craftsmanship and some of the plastic components.

Thank you for your thoughtful review. Well done!

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #1,032 of 8,051

I just noticed this too. Part of the reason I bought them was for the five year warranty. Switching the warranty like that seems pretty shady...

This is very disappointing, part of the reason I jumped is also because of the 5-year warranty. On the bright side, there's still the 30-day return guarantee, so I can easily send them back if I don't love them. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,033 of 8,051
I'm running a Lyr2 bifrost combo and if the JOT had been out when I picked it up I would have gone for it. I think the fact that it supports balanced out is a huge win and TBH I use my LISST 'Tubes' 24/7 and the ss output is clean and powerful. I would avoid the modi/magni if you ever plan to use it with monitors or as a pre and frankly the lyr/JOT desktop size is much nicer looking and feeling with a solid large volume knob and the sticky rubber feet. I know there is a lot of love for the modi magni but I'm not on the bandwagon. There are all in ones in that price range that are as good or nicer. I would consider going modi/asgard or modi/valhalla and just jamming the modi out of sight. JOT seems like the sweet spot though:)

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #1,035 of 8,051

This is very disappointing, part of the reason I jumped is also because of the 5-year warranty. On the bright side, there's still the 30-day return guarantee, so I can easily send them back if I don't love them. 

Indeed, Monoprice you are a snake!

5Yr Warranty!:

And now 1yr.... Ugh!!!

That's bad business model!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back