Moondrop VENUS Planar (and PARA): two surprisingly good orthodynamic headphones at a still reasonable price. Moondrop COSMO Planar: New Flagship.
Apr 20, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #361 of 392
Hi all.

I've just listened again my COSMO equipped with PARA's pads this evening (in France).

My first impressions are confirmed.

The sound is very pure, clear, transparent, but not insipid; it's extremely fine, with a remarkable soundstage, both spacious (like that of the VENUS, or even a little more so) and above all extremely precise in space, with a marked 3D effect and a separation of instruments and voices that stand out against a black background, even blacker than that of the VENUS.
Spatial precision is much better than that of the VENUS, which is blurrier in comparison.
The COSMO thus equipped (from the PARA pads) reminds me of my old e-stat STAX SR-009 headphones, but much better in the upper midrange (less shouty than the Stax) and in the treble, better balanced, less emphasized; the bass level is similar to that of a Stax SR-009, i.e., not high SPL, but with very good extension in the sub-bass and remarkable texture; bass precision and definition are excellent.
I think the COSMO's technicality easily equals that of the Stax 009, both in finesse, resolution, spatialization and detachment of sound against a black background.
Tone is better, with a high midrange and treble less emphasized than the Stax, at the right level, with bass that's admittedly light, but deep and remarkably textured.

In comparison, the VENUS is less fine and precise than the COSMO equipped with the PARA's pads; its soundstage is just as spacious, but less precise, fuzzier; the bass level is higher, but also coarser in texture and definition; ditto for the treble, more prominent, but less fine.
The COSMO's delicacy in the treble (with the PARA's pads) is remarkable, whether on cymbals or in the upper harmonics of voices and musical instruments.
The VENUS, with its more prominent low midrange, gives more warmth and thickness to the sound, but a certain lack of precision in this frequency range means that the sound (and voices) appear more colored and less pure, as if tainted; spatially speaking, they are also less separated and detached on a black, grayer background, making them less sharp, less contrasted, less "3D".

As an example of "pure" sound, clear and transparent, well-focused and spatially separated, this vocal duet (love song) from Purcel's King Arthur highlights all the qualities listed above of the COSMO re-equipped with PARA's pads.

To conclude this post, a word of advice to Moondrop about the COSMO: if the COSMO's stock pads displease most people (like @acclimatise and myself at the moment), I think that the COSMO's offer should be completed with a second pair of pads (in addition to the stock pads), and why not those of the PARA (or the PARA's replacement pad reference, the EP-100A pads at $28); the PARA (which is worth $600 less than the COSMO) is nevertheless well equipped with two pairs of pads ; so why not the COSMO as well; this can only appeal to potential future buyers of the COSMO, which I really think has enormous potential, at least equal to that of a very good pair of electrostatic headphones, but with better tonality (for the COSMO equipped with the PARA pads ; not with the stock pads which didn't convince me at all), at least from what I'm hearing again tonight.

Nice to meet you!
I would like to ask you about moondrop venus.
I often get hair caught in the joint between the headband and the housing, causing hair to fall out.
I would like to do something about it. Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you in advance. (Sorry if my English is not good enough)

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #362 of 392
Nice to meet you!
I would like to ask you about moondrop venus.
I often get hair caught in the joint between the headband and the housing, causing hair to fall out.
I would like to do something about it. Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you in advance. (Sorry if my English is not good enough)

Hello.

My English is no better.

With my VENUS, I don't have the same problem as you.

I have very short hair and I have also voluntarily blocked the height of the suspension headband to the size of my big head, otherwise the headphone would tend to go up over the ears, by putting a cork wedge surrounded by black adhesive tape, blocking the elastic headband in elongation, exactly to the size of my big head. The headband became fixed (adapted to the size of my head), and the hair doesn't get stuck when removing the helmet (the suspension band remains fixed and doesn't retract).

The disadvantage is, of course, that I'm the only one who can using the headphone (unless someone else has the same head size as me), morther it's not very aesthetic, but I don't mind as long as it's functional.
It's reversible
The advantage is also that the fragile plastic anchoring ribbon is less bent.

24042006534323553818392762.jpg

Apr 20, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #363 of 392
Hi all.

I've just listened again my COSMO equipped with PARA's pads this evening (in France).

My previous impressions are well confirmed (again).

This time I listened to Hans Zimmer's Live In Prague concert, including the two tracks below (at the bottom of the page).

I compared the COSMO equipped with the PARA's pads (they'll never leave it) to the VENUS (and its stock pads) and to the PARA equipped with the COSMO's pads.

For my first impressions of the COSMO equipped with its original pads, then especially the PARA pads (the COSMO stock pads being very disappointing), I give you the two links to the corresponding posts:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...nar-new-flagship.970569/page-24#post-18080257

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...nar-new-flagship.970569/page-24#post-18082352

What can we say:

The difference in sensitivity of the COSMO versus VENUS is about 1 hour more on the volume potentiometer of my Viva 2A3 amp (e.g. 12 h (Cosmo) versus 11 h (Venus) for fairly loud listening (at comparable SPL levels).

COSMO wearing comfort (with PARA's pads) > VENUS wearing comfort (with stock pads) > PARA wearing comfort (with COSMO's pads)
Clamping is excellent for all three headphones (sufficient, without being too strong, for my big head).

For sound quality and SPL in each register.

SPL level in the treble of the VENUS (stock pads) > PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads) > COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads); the fairest level seems to me to be that of the COSMO equipped with PARA's pads: the other two headphones are brighter in the treble, and probably a little too bright.

SPL level in the bass of PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads) > VENUS (stock pads) > = COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads); the COSMO sinks very low in the sub-bass, as do the other two headphones.

SPL level in the midrange from COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) > to PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads) > = VENUS (stock pads).

For sound quality

Treble: COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) > > VENUS (stock pads) > à PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads).
By far the most beautiful trebles are those of the COSMO equipped with PARA pads: cymbals sound marvellous with the COSMO equipped with PARA pads; both in level and timbre, definition, richness, extension, finesse.

Midrange: COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) > VENUS (stock pads) > à PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads).
The midrange of the COSMO equipped with PARA's pads is extremely clear (as for the snare drum) and legible, more precise for details and nuances, less colored (smeared) in the lower midrange than the VENUS or the PARA equipped with COSMO's pads.

Bass and sub-bass: COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) > VENUS (stock pads) > PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads).
The bass of the COSMO is barely less strong than that of the VENUS (in SPL) but even more detailed and structured than that of the VENUS (and even more so of the PARA equipped with the COSMO's pads): they are really excellent; moreover they go very low, and with impact (as for example with the bass-drum in the second video below).

Width of the soundstage (aperture): COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) > = VENUS (stock pads) > PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads).

Precision of the sound scene, separation of instruments and 3D effect ("black background"): COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) > > VENUS (stock pads) > PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads).

Bass dynamics and impact: PARA equipped with COSMO's pads > VENUS > = COSMO equipped with PARA's pads.
Midrange dynamics (snare drum): COSMO equipped with PARA's pads > VENUS (stock pads) > PARA equipped with COSMO's pads.

Generally speaking, the COSMO equipped with PARA's pads combines both great softness in the sense of fluidity (the opposite of rough), and therefore also great finesse, with great clarity.
It's a velvet glove in an iron fist, because the headphone is not slack (limp) at all, it is also dynamic and fast (snare drum) with impact in the sub bass (bass drum).
The level of detail and nuances is excellent, both in the bass (very well textured) and in the midrange (precise and clear, not colored by an excess of bass-midrange) as well as in the treble, of very high class (refined as desired).

Sumptuous to listen to with the COSMO equipped with PARA's pads; the VENUS is not unworthy, even if less fine than the COSMO.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #364 of 392
Hi all.

My previous impressions are well confirmed (again).

This time I listened to Hans Zimmer's Live In Prague concert, including the two tracks below (at the bottom of the page).

I compared the COSMO equipped with the PARA's pads (they'll never leave it) to the VENUS (and its stock pads) and to the PARA equipped with the COSMO's pads.

For my first impressions of the COSMO equipped with its original pads, then especially the PARA pads (the COSMO stock pads being very disappointing), I give you the two links to the corresponding posts:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...nar-new-flagship.970569/page-24#post-18080257

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...nar-new-flagship.970569/page-24#post-18082352

What can we say:

The difference in sensitivity of the COSMO versus VENUS is about 1 hour more on the volume potentiometer of my Viva 2A3 amp (e.g. 12 h (Cosmo) versus 11 h (Venus) for fairly loud listening (at comparable SPL levels).

COSMO wearing comfort (with PARA's pads) > VENUS wearing comfort (with stock pads) > PARA wearing comfort (with COSMO's pads)
Clamping is excellent for all three headphones (sufficient, without being too strong, for my big head).

For sound quality and SPL in each register.

SPL level in the treble of the VENUS (stock pads) > PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads) > COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads); the fairest level seems to me to be that of the COSMO equipped with PARA's pads: the other two headphones are brighter in the treble, and probably a little too bright.

SPL level in the bass of PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads) > VENUS (stock pads) > = COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads); the COSMO sinks very low in the sub-bass, as do the other two headphones.

SPL level in the midrange from COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) > to PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads) > = VENUS (stock pads).

For sound quality

Treble: COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) > > VENUS (stock pads) > à PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads).
By far the most beautiful trebles are those of the COSMO equipped with PARA pads: cymbals sound marvellous with the COSMO equipped with PARA pads; both in level and timbre, definition, richness, extension, finesse.

Midrange: COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) > VENUS (stock pads) > à PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads).
The midrange of the COSMO equipped with PARA's pads is extremely clear (as for the snare drum) and legible, more precise for details and nuances, less colored (smeared) in the lower midrange than the VENUS or the PARA equipped with COSMO's pads.

Bass and sub-bass: COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) > VENUS (stock pads) > PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads).
The bass of the COSMO is barely less strong than that of the VENUS (in SPL) but even more detailed and structured than that of the VENUS (and even more so of the PARA equipped with the COSMO's pads): they are really excellent; moreover they go very low, and with impact (as for example with the bass-drum in the second video below).

Width of the soundstage (aperture): COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) > = VENUS (stock pads) > PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads).

Precision of the sound scene, separation of instruments and 3D effect ("black background"): COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) > > VENUS (stock pads) > PARA (equipped with COSMO's pads).

Bass dynamics and impact: PARA equipped with COSMO's pads > VENUS > = COSMO equipped with PARA's pads.
Midrange dynamics (snare drum): COSMO equipped with PARA's pads > VENUS (stock pads) > PARA equipped with COSMO's pads.

Generally speaking, the COSMO equipped with PARA's pads combines both great softness in the sense of fluidity (the opposite of rough), and therefore also great finesse, with great clarity.
It's a velvet glove in an iron fist, because the headphone is not soft at all, it is also dynamic and fast (snare drum) with impact in the sub bass (bass drum).
The level of detail and nuances is excellent, both in the bass (very well textured) and in the midrange (precise and clear, not colored by an excess of bass-midrange) as well as in the treble, of very high class (refined as desired).

Sumptuous to listen to with the COSMO equipped with PARA's pads; the VENUS is not unworthy, even if less fine than the COSMO.

You have learned all about Permutation and Combination, which is quite a troublesome job

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #365 of 392
Hi.

It's morning (early) in France.

A morning image of the Moondrop COSMO equipped with the PARA's pads on a Viva Egoista 2A3 amp (in orange Lamborghini color)

24042108151023553818392887.jpg

EDIT: the black cable delivered with the COSMO (symmetrical cable using pure copper) is very good; it is transparent (for sound), pleasant to use, flexible, not microphonic and seems robust.
It measures 1.50 m (without the adapter) (balanced TRS 4.4 mm connector on the amp side and 3.5 mm (x 2) on the headphone side) and 1.70 m with the 4.4 mm to 6.35 mm jack adapter.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #366 of 392
Hi.

A morning image of the Moondrop COSMO equipped with the PARA's pads on a Viva Egoista 2A3 amp (in orange Lamborghini color)

EDIT: the black cable delivered with the COSMO (symmetrical cable using pure copper) is very good; it is transparent (for sound), pleasant to use, flexible, not microphonic and seems robust.
It measures 1.50 m (without the adapter) (balanced TRS 4.4 mm connector on the amp side and 3.5 mm (x 2) on the headphone side) and 1.70 m with the 4.4 mm to 6.35 mm jack adapter.
The pads on the headphone are the best

Attachments

• 61790b1425f5a47313a693581714c1aa.jpg
    61790b1425f5a47313a693581714c1aa.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 21, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #368 of 392
Hi.

Did you get them form moondrop website? What about VAT or any import fees in EU? How about warranty here in EU? Ive seen that they require shiping. to china for any kind of warranty repairs and that cost lot of money.

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #369 of 392
Did you get them form moondrop website? What about VAT or any import fees in EU? How about warranty here in EU? Ive seen that they require shiping. to china for any kind of warranty repairs and that cost lot of money.
Hi.

I bought my COSMO, the same day as the international headphone market opened (April 12), at Shenzhen Audio.
Headphone received in France on April 18. https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/moondrop-cosmo-100mm-full-size-flagship-planar-headphone
I was lucky not to pay the 20% European tax (168 Euros saved).
The headphone warranty is two years.
The (possible) return of the headphone is at the buyer's expense (and must be quite expensive).

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #370 of 392
@eric65 can you compare COSMO (with proper pads) with other hi-end headphones like Susvara, Austrian Audio Composer, Final Audio D8000 and others, which you tried?
Hi.

You will have to ask @acclimatise who has both a Susvara, a VENUS and a COSMO.
@acclimatise found the Susvara more fine than the VENUS, but the latter was more dynamic than the Susvara.

For my part, a few years ago, I already listened to a Susvara on a Viva 845 amp (the Viva 2A3 amp was not powerful enough to drive the Susvara correctly).

Difficult to compare it remotely over time, with my COSMO on the Viva 2A3 amp.

The Viva 2A3 is just enough in power to drive the COSMO (NB: it delivers 3 Watt on 32 Ohm and 1.5 Watt on 16-18 Ohm).
I sometimes listen to the COSMO with the Viva 2A3 volume potentiometer at the 12 o'clock position.

I think that the finesse of the COSMO's sound equals that of the Susvara; the tone of the COSMO will greatly depend on the pads used (for better or worse); for my part, the PARA's pads used on the COSMO are much better than those of the stock COSMO's pads (which did not convince me at all).

There are perhaps even better pads to use with the COSMO (see the latest pads used by @acclimatise with his COSMO).

The description I made of the COSMO was made with the COSMO equipped with PARA's pads compared to the VENUS with its stock pads, with their original stock cables, both used on the same amp (the VIVA 2A3), sufficient to correctly drive these two headphones (separately).

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #371 of 392
Hi.

You will have to ask @acclimatise who has both a Susvara, a VENUS and a COSMO.
@acclimatise found the Susvara more fine than the VENUS, but the latter was more dynamic than the Susvara.

For my part, a few years ago, I already listened to a Susvara on a Viva 845 (the Viva 2A3 was not powerful enough to drive the Suvara correctly).

Difficult to compare it remotely over time, with my COSMO on the Viva 2A3.

The Viva 2A3 is just enough in power to drive the COSMO (NB: it delivers 3 Watt on 32 Ohm and 1.5 Watt on 16-18 Ohm).
I sometimes listen to the COSMO with the VIVA volume potentiometer at the 12 o'clock position.

I think the finesse of the COSMO equals that of the Susvara; the tone of the COSMO will greatly depend on the pads used (for better or worse); for my part, the PARA's pads used on the COSMO are much better than those of the stock COSMO pads which did not convince me at all.

There are perhaps even better pads to use with the COSMO (see the latest pads used by @acclimatise with his COSMO).

The description I made of the COSMO was made with the COSMO equipped with PARA pads compared to the VENUS with its stock pads, with their original stock cables, both used on the same amp (the VIVA 2A3), sufficient to correctly drive these two headphones (separately).
Did you tried Venus/Cosmo on cheaper DACs/AMPs like Fiio k5/7, topping etc. How picky they are in terms on sound source? I had Hifiman sundara and Arya stealth for few days and they sounded excelent out of simple macbook pro headphone jack and Fiio k5 pro.

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #372 of 392
Hi.

The VENUS (18 Ohm) sounds quite correctly on a Matrix M-Stage amp (delivering 400 mW on 60 Ohm) (which I also own); comparatively, the PARA (8 Ohm), with the same Matrix M-Stage amp, sounds a little thin (nb: the PARA is more demanding in amplification than the VENUS).
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/desk...lifier-preamplifier-class-a-black-p-5442.html

The soundstage (openness), transparency, dynamics and timbres are better with the Viva 2A3 amp, more powerful (especially for the PARA (8 Ohm) which is too tight with the Matrix M Stage amp for the ability to deliver current).

The VENUS (and even more so the COSMO equipped with PARA's pads) is of course source-sensitive: to start with, prefer a dac outputting 2.8 Vrms (in RCA unbalanced) (as with my Audiomat dac) because the COSMO is not a very sensitive headphone (less so than the VENUS), and you risk running out of SPL level for amplification.

The differences in recording quality are glaringly obvious, such as the compressed YouTube sound versus the DTS-HD Master soundtrack on the blu-ray of the same live concert.

For Hans Zimmer's Live In Prague concert (on Blu ray support), with my Audiomat Maestro Reference dac and my Viva 2A3 tube amp (transparent, dynamic, nice sound tones, with great sonic openness), I was surprised by the level of sonic detail provided by COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) versus VENUS (which are already very detailed headphones): a multitude of sound details flood your brain, sound layer by sound layer, with a clear separation of instruments, each playing in its own place; it's a little confusing to integrate at first, but you soon get used to it. :)

EDIT: you can also read this review (below) for dac/amp that work more or less well with the VENUS, a headphone already demanding in current capacity (ability to deliver enough current); the COSMO being even more so than the VENUS.
https://headfonics.com/moondrop-venus-review/2/

EDIT bis: A royal couple (for majestic and sumptuous listening)
King COSMO and Queen VENUS, side by side. :)

24042108442523553818393282.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #373 of 392
Hello everyone.

Some, I hope, good advice to give to the Moondrop team, during its future presentation of the Moondrop COSMO, in Europe, at the High-End Munich, Germany (09, May - 12, May 2024):

1- bring a fairly powerful headphone amplifier (of at least 2 good Watt on 32 Ohm and 1 Watt minimum on 16 Ohm), with enough gain.

2- bring at least two COSMO headphones (in addition to a VENUS) (Moondrop's new and old flagship): a first COSMO equipped with its stock pads (which @acclimatise and I, and it seems also other people, really don't like at all; it's a mess with the COSMO); a second COSMO equipped this time with alternative pads (to the stock pads) ; I really think that the hybrid pads (velvet/perforated leather) fitted to the PARA in stock, are a very valid option for convincing use with the COSMO (or, I can also imagine the hybrid replacement pads for the PARA referenced as Moondrop EP 100-A, which can easily be obtained at $29. 99 USD, here: https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/moondrop-ep-100a-openback-earpad).

3- bring dynamic recordings (with drums and cymbals).

So, enjoy and convince the public of the very high potential of your latest flagship, the COSMO. :)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #374 of 392
Hello everyone.

Some, I hope, good advice to give to the Moondrop team, during its future presentation of the Moondrop COSMO, in Europe, at the High-End Munich, Germany (09, May - 12, May 2024):

1- bring a fairly powerful headphone amplifier (of at least 2 good Watt on 32 Ohm and 1 Watt minimum on 16 Ohm), with enough gain.

2- bring at least two COSMO headphones (in addition to a VENUS) (Moondrop's new and old flagship): a first COSMO equipped with its stock pads (which @acclimatise and I, and it seems also other people, really don't like at all; it's a mess with the COSMO); a second COSMO equipped this time with alternative pads (to the stock pads) ; I really think that the hybrid pads (velvet/perforated leather) fitted to the PARA in stock, are a very valid option for convincing use with the COSMO (or, I can also imagine the hybrid replacement pads for the PARA referenced as Moondrop EP 100-A, which can easily be obtained at $29. 99 USD, here: https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/moondrop-ep-100a-openback-earpad).

3- bring dynamic recordings (with drums and cymbals).

So, enjoy and convince the public of the very high potential of your latest flagship, the COSMO. :)
I sold COSMO, I don't like its sound, but I respect anyone who likes this headphone.
I still think VENUS is the better one, which may be controversial, but I believe honesty is the best policy, and this is indeed my true opinion.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #375 of 392
So after couple days of owning Venus i will probably return them. Soundstage is not wide at all, separation between the elements of the song is also poor, for example Monophobia from Deadmou5, i could hear clearly bassline even on my old Shure SE215 IEM. Hifiman sudara reveals more sound in that sound, i can hear elements of that bass that i couldn't on IEMs. And same bassline on Venus is like behind vocals, i have to focus a lot to separate it from rest of track. I don't know if its due to my lack of good powerfull amplification or faulty unit, probably first one. Or maybe i just like hifiman sound more. On the other side vocals sounds good, snares and hi hats sounds really good, I dig design and aesthetic, clamp force and comfort are perfect for my giant head, leather pads are bit warm. Shame, there is review by polish guy and he claims that with good amplification venus can compete with highend planars. So if he is right good amp/dac is way to go with moondrop headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back