More stoopid iPod & dock questions
Oct 14, 2006 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a 60 gig 5G iPod video and a Marware dock. I intended on using the dock as a home base for the iPod when it's not in use but I've noticed that when the iPod is fully charged the screen is still kind of half on with the large battery charged symbol on the screen. If I leave it in the dock with the screen on like that will it burn into the screen like a computer monitor would or is the display type different in how it acts or does it kind of not being all the way on (not as bright as it is when its on normally, does that make sense?) keep it from burning the image into the screen over time?

Also, will keeping it in the dock like this with it obviously using some sort of power to keep that battery charged symbol on the screen adversely affect battery life in the long term?

Oct 14, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 6
I have my iPod plugged into the wall charger for long periods of time. I have not noticed any problems with the screen.

I believe the consensus is that always being plugged-in (Any devise with a battery) will shorten the life of the battery.

I think they were good questions!
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
I believe the consensus is that always being plugged-in (Any devise with a battery) will shorten the life of the battery.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that most recent (post-2004 or something like that) portable electronic devices with chargeable lithium-ion or lithium-polymer batteries feature integrated power management circuitry that prevents overcharging.

Oct 14, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 6
3X0 says:
Quote:

I respectfully disagree.

You may in fact be right. I don't know.

I was under the impression that it was a case of being "topped off" for long periods of time and not of overcharging.

I'm sure we will have more responses.

Oct 14, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 6
Interesting, I never thought of it that way! I noticed my players getting pretty warm while charging.. with some players that exhibit great levels of heat output, extended periods of full charge connection may pose problems. I suppose it's not directly caused by charging in any case.

Nice insight.

Oct 17, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm mostly concerned with what effect leaving it on the dock would have on the screen, whether the battery charged image would burn in like it would if it were a CRT computer monitor. The battery issue would also be interesting to know but it at least can be replaced if worse came to worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back