Most responsive bass for ~$100?
Dec 18, 2022 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

PurpleOmen

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post here. After being bashed by a few ppl on Reddit, a few other friendlier Redditor's directed me to join here, and ask you guys as I'd get more mature responses :) or so I'm hoping. Here's my original thread if you want to look at the comments and original discussion https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/zotkpk/this_is_the_exact_reason_i_come_here_instead_of/

Basically I was looking at Sennheiser HD 280 Pro reviews, trying to figure out if they had a decently powerful bass response, but as you can see the reviews can be contradictory.

I'm not too well versed in all of the sound aspects that have to do with the overall sound experience. In simple terms, I want the bass of Beats/Crusher Evo, but with much higher quality sound.

In terms of over ear headphones, what's the most punchy, responsive, full, and engulfing "subwoofer style" bass that around $100 can buy, but still remain very high quality in other sound parameters when I'm not listening to a bass oriented track? those are my best newbie terms to describe what I'm looking for, so sorry for any ignorance.

So far, instead of the 280's reddit recommended the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, Sennheiser HD 300, and AKG K361.

Thanks

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 22
Reddit... I'm there, too. All you can do is take the constructive comments and ignore the rest.

I haven't heard these headphones but I also enjoy bass. If you had a higher budget, I could recommend some stuff, but hopefully someone comes along with some perspective on these.

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 22
The 280 pro has very little bass. Its a studio reference headphone. All sennheisers are bass light, so if bass is your priority, skip sennheiser.

If you want boomy, farty bass with poor detail, texture and resolution like the skullcandy crusher then get the skullcandy crusher. That headphone has the most bass. But if you choose to eat at a $10 all you eat buffet, don't expect a high degree of quality.

You're asking for a lot for $100, thats like if you ask people advice for a brand new 500 hp sports car without compromising any luxury amenities for $20k.

The 770 pro probably is the best option in that list.

https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/beyerdynamic-dt770-pro/

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 22
The 280 pro has very little bass. Its a studio reference headphone. All sennheisers are bass light, so if bass is your priority, skip sennheiser.

If you want boomy, farty bass with poor detail, texture and resolution like the skullcandy crusher then get the skullcandy crusher. That headphone has the most bass. But if you choose to eat at a $10 all you eat buffet, don't expect a high degree of quality.

You're asking for a lot for $100, thats like if you ask people advice for a brand new 500 hp sports car without compromising any luxury amenities for $20k.

The 770 pro probably is the best option in that list.

https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/beyerdynamic-dt770-pro/
I'm honestly considering the Evo's, I don't think they're as bad as people say they are. Everything I'm seeing on the Beyerdynamic 770's says the bass is light :frowning2:

Dec 18, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 22
The Crusher Evo isn't awful, and it's a lot of fun to play with the bass slider.

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 22
Have you thought about some iem options? At the sub $100 mark there are a couple of good choices, and they're well tuned. For example, I enjoy the bass of the ER2XR, although it's not overpowering by any means.

I think you're going to have a transition ahead of you. If you're used to heavy bass bleeding into everything else like a skull crusher or beats headphone, it may take a while to get used to something more balanced. I can say, though, once you do you'll never go back. It's one of those, "once you notice it and know the difference" things.

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 22
Have you thought about some iem options? At the sub $100 mark there are a couple of good choices, and they're well tuned. For example, I enjoy the bass of the ER2XR, although it's not overpowering by any means.

I think you're going to have a transition ahead of you. If you're used to heavy bass bleeding into everything else like a skull crusher or beats headphone, it may take a while to get used to something more balanced. I can say, though, once you do you'll never go back. It's one of those, "once you notice it and know the difference" things.
I can't do the in-ear options, just too uncomfortable for me. Yeah I don't know. I remember using a pair of my brothers Audio Technica headphones probably 10 years ago, and it was just laughable (to me) how flat the bass was. It was almost like they forgot to add whatever controls the bass in a speaker assembly. Just not for me but I guess there's certain type of music for that, also I'm aware that after the break in period of 100 hours or so the bass could improve. I think I remember those AT's being relatively new.

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 22
Gotcha, how about an option like the Fiio FF3? It's in ear, but an ear bud so not iem style. You'd think as an ear bud it wouldn't have great bass, but it's quite good in the low end. I have it particularly for it's bass. Perhaps check out some reviews, it clocks in just under $100 if I remember correctly.

Let me link the reviews for it here. Pretty much every reviewer mentions the bass quality.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-ff3.26016/reviews

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 22
Gotcha, how about an option like the Fiio FF3? It's in ear, but an ear bud so not iem style. You'd think as an ear bud it wouldn't have great bass, but it's quite good in the low end. I have it particularly for it's bass. Perhaps check out some reviews, it clocks in just under $100 if I remember correctly.

Let me link the reviews for it here. Pretty much every reviewer mentions the bass quality.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-ff3.26016/reviews
Interesting I just did a little research on those and I do like the design. They also look very audio oriented and it's cool how the website shows the quality of each component. One Amazon review says "The bass and sound of these distorts badly at full volume. These do not scale well at all when used with better equipment. VE Monks Plus ound better than these at 1/10 the price.", ($9 earbuds?!) but then again it's an Amazon review and half the time it's shills. I would take your word over them. Anything else that comes to mind let me know, I'll be purchasing in the next day or two. I really appreciate your advice.

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 22
A used Ikko OH10 is both comfortable and has a lot of bass. Another iem though. Saw one used for $85 today.

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 22
Interesting I just did a little research on those and I do like the design. They also look very audio oriented and it's cool how the website shows the quality of each component. One Amazon review says "The bass and sound of these distorts badly at full volume. These do not scale well at all when used with better equipment. VE Monks Plus ound better than these at 1/10 the price.", ($9 earbuds?!) but then again it's an Amazon review and half the time it's shills. I would take your word over them. Anything else that comes to mind let me know, I'll be purchasing in the next day or two. I really appreciate your advice.
Well, I don’t deafen myself when listening, so I’ve never hit the distortion level :). I’d personally avoid the Amazon reviews and stick to people who have a bit more clout. Perhaps I’ll grab some monks, heh.

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 22
Well, I don’t deafen myself when listening, so I’ve never hit the distortion level :). I’d personally avoid the Amazon reviews and stick to people who have a bit more clout. Perhaps I’ll grab some monks, heh.
The reviews for the Monks are surprising, it seems to be some kind of hidden gem... can't be too bad of a loss at 10 bones can it...

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 22
I'm sorry but I could never get behind the Monks. There was, for me, a weird echo in the sound.

If you want a super cheap bass forward IEM there is nothing like the Sony MH750. The downside is that they are hardwired, with a thin cable. It's also a Y cable, a Japanese style that's asymmetrical and is supposed to go behind your neck. Then again, at that price you could get extra pairs.

Once they were $5; now, after being noticed, they are being widely counterfeited and price multiplied to all of $15. Don't go to Aliexpress unless you want stuff for the landfill. I got my MH750 from this seller and they are real ones. They do pump the bass and treble a bit but they sound GOOD.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352537526219

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #15 of 22
If you get something via Amazon are you able to do a return if you’re unhappy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back