MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Feb 8, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #5,611 of 5,796
The only upgrades are to get the 1.1 tuning kit and perhaps to upgrade to a VIVO cable, which has a smoother, more resolving sound and a larger soundstage.
Thanks for replying.
Looking at the photos VIVO Cable looks like same thickness and stiffness than the EFO v1 stock ones. Am I wrong?
What about total price of upgrading to v1.1 and the VIVO cables?
Additionally, is it worth the VOCE Electrostat Ear Pads?
Thanks for helping me.
Cheers

Feb 8, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #5,612 of 5,796
1.1 tuning kit is not expensive and is easy to use but it goes to a matter of personal taste. It is fun to fool around with but I'm not sure it will work with the bigger opening on the electrostatic pads? E-pads give you a larger sound stage and less bass, also better fit for big ears.

Feb 8, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #5,613 of 5,796
The Vivo cable is a bit thicker than the original DUM and DUMMER cables, but feels a bit more flexible and makes a very good sonic match to the Ether's. The tuning kit is a no brainer and like @Stu Paddasso stated above!

I found the Voce Pads to take away too much of the low end and were much more finicky about on ear placement. The newest revision of the angled ether pads are just perfect in my opinion! I would like to get some suede's at some point so hoping that @mrspeakers is able to get out the new revised mount in the near future.

Feb 8, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #5,614 of 5,796
Thanks for replying.
Looking at the photos VIVO Cable looks like same thickness and stiffness than the EFO v1 stock ones. Am I wrong?
What about total price of upgrading to v1.1 and the VIVO cables?
Additionally, is it worth the VOCE Electrostat Ear Pads?
Thanks for helping me.
Cheers

Totally different cable inside and out. It’s thicker but the thickness is essential to how supple it is. It’s also silver coated copper which gives a more dimensional sound without the “thin” sound some silver creates.

1.1 tuning kit is not expensive and is easy to use but it goes to a matter of personal taste. It is fun to fool around with but I'm not sure it will work with the bigger opening on the electrostatic pads? E-pads give you a larger sound stage and less bass, also better fit for big ears.

Round pads work With 1.1 FWIW.

The pad adaptor idea has a challenge in that older ethers may not be easy to upgrade and it could be confusing in the field And not as simple as we had originally thought so it might require sending to the factory, or maybe a distributor trained to do regional updates to keep cost down. It’d probably be about an hour of shop time to retrofit. Is there a lot of interest in using our new generation E2 pads if we had to service the units?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 25, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #5,617 of 5,796
Totally different cable inside and out. It’s thicker but the thickness is essential to how supple it is. It’s also silver coated copper which gives a more dimensional sound without the “thin” sound some silver creates.

Round pads work With 1.1 FWIW.

The pad adaptor idea has a challenge in that older ethers may not be easy to upgrade and it could be confusing in the field And not as simple as we had originally thought so it might require sending to the factory, or maybe a distributor trained to do regional updates to keep cost down. It’d probably be about an hour of shop time to retrofit. Is there a lot of interest in using our new generation E2 pads if we had to service the units?
What is the difference between 1.1 and normal also what about 1.1 va normal vs mass drop one?

Feb 25, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #5,618 of 5,796
Is the mass drop equivalent of the actual ether 1.1 closed different in sound or not?

sorry, are you taking ether c or Ether C Flow? I answered assuming ether c. If C Flow, the Flow has a lot more soundstage and a much stronger bottom end.

What is the difference between 1.1 and normal also what about 1.1 va normal vs mass drop one?

huh? Please use the exact names...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 28, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #5,620 of 5,796
I heard the flow C 1.1 and ether 2. Side by side today.
Couldn't so a proper volume match but absolutely loved the flow C 1.1 and hated the weird sounding ether 2.
I tried stellia which beat them both, but was slightly sharp for me. The c flow out of the rme adi-2 dac was absolutely stunning in quality. Detail and resolving, yet not sharp. Wow. Can't wait for my pair

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #5,621 of 5,796
I just want to chime in as it has been awhile. I am a big fan of Dan's HP's, as he tunes them to my preferred perceived preference. I have the mad dog's, alpha primes, and ether c flows. It has been a little while since I stoked up the c's with my yggy DAC and MJ2 amp. I also have HD800's in the house. All I can say is the flows are BLISS. Your mileage may vary.......

Mar 3, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #5,624 of 5,796
The best way is looking under the pad and under the form at the driver. The flow driver is visually much different due to the gently depressed holes that make up the face of it. Non flow uses a basically flat conver plate.

The original carbon cups were optionally available to keep during the fliow upgrade process... So not always a sure give away.

The cert. Is also very convincing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back