Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 3, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #7,786 of 16,931
Quote:

Those seem like generic ebay foamies but I'm not sure about the sizing. Their foam is more similar to Marshmallow tips than Complys are. Complys are softer and more porous - potentially a bit more comfortable but they do wear out much quicker. I would try the Complys if you've already ordered them and then consider other options once you wear them out. 

The Phonaks will be a little different - bassier and warmer but also boomier and not as transparent in the midrange. For the most raw and clean sound the A161P/SBA-03 is actually very difficult to beat in my experience.

Your list seems a little confused there - the Eterna and Consonance don't have mic version as far as I know while the id America Spark always has a mic and the Shure SE215 has it as an option. In terms of bass output I don't think you would like the A161P and probably not even the GR07 - neither is significantly bassier than the Phonak 022. The rest of these tend to be pretty bass-heavy but the price ranges are pretty scattered. If you like the E10M you probably won't find the MMX101iE, id Spark, or Turbine to be a large enough upgrade to justify the price hike. If I had to pick two without the mic it would be the EPH-100 or FXT90. With the mic, another E10M would probably be the safest choice. After that - the SE215 (which may not have enough treble sparkle compared to the E10) or the Puresound C1 (which may have too much treble and not enough note thickness).

This is correct. If I get my hands on the MEElec version at some point I"ll add it to the chart with its own accessory & build scores but sound-wise they should be an exact match for the Fischer SBA-03. 

beerchug.gif

THanks Joker, for the info.. Much appreciated..
I  guess I may stick with E10. But on a last note do you think Atrio MG7 ( mobile version ) will be better with the specified sound preference ( in the line of e10) ??

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #7,787 of 16,931
Hey Joker , I thank you a lot for these reviews. I have bought a Meelectronics M6 as my first IEM based on your review and it was EXACTLY how you described. 

I am looking for a new pair with more budget (100~160$), I have searched the reviews of head-fi and one of Brainwavz B2, Hifiman Re 262 and VSonic GR 07 could be the perfect match for me.

I basically want one for thrash/speedy metal, having reasonable mid-bass and mids,high as good as possible, and it shouldnt be much treble based such as Brainwavz M4. I want one for comfort, durability for atleast 2-3 years, best isolation and (optionally) with an inline microphone (only Etymotic Hf2/3/5 seems to have it, as it doesnt sound as good as RE262/GR07, a better alternative could be appreciated!)  

Sound quality comes first and then accessories(microphone etc). So what do you suggest me to buy Joker ? Any other IEM suggestions that  you can give apart from the ones you mentioned?

Thanks for your time!

Regards.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #7,789 of 16,931
Hey Joker, Thanks for your humongous review.

I have the RE262 and the ATH CK10. Both are really great warriers in their own arenas. Having said that, I somehow keep longing for that perfect sound even though these two keep surprising me from time to time.
I sometimes find the RE262 too dull for some music and the ATH CK10 are definitely way too bright for me.
Just for reference, I just love the sound signature of my modded Fostex T50RPs headphones. The natural mids and silky smooth highs are just to die for! The bass is also very fast and impactful, but never overwhelming. Only problem is their portability.

I am searching for an IEM with similar sound traits as my Fostex. Any suggestion here? 

Just to summarise, following are my requirements:
 1. Quick and natural bass. I can't stand boominess.
 2. Natural midrange. I don't want the midrange bump.
 3. Very silky smooth highs. I am sensitive to sibilance. For reference, I find the ATH CK10 "too" bright.

Any suggestions for this deranged soul?

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #7,790 of 16,931
Hello fellow Headfiers. If you are a huge fan of music and love Fiio products, please "Like" the Fiio FB Page.

http://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO

That would be very nice. Have a nice day. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #7,791 of 16,931
So I got my comply tips. HUGE comfort boost, but now everything is leaning too far into the bass side, and treble is really smoothed over. Good thing I EQ with my Fuze. Lol.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #7,792 of 16,931
So I got my comply tips. HUGE comfort boost, but now everything is leaning too far into the bass side, and treble is really smoothed over. Good thing I EQ with my Fuze. Lol.

you can restore the missing highs when using Comply tips by shortening the length of the ear tip

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #7,793 of 16,931
Alright, I'll try that. They are definitely long. Any method of doing this properly? Like reversing them first then using scissors, then flip them back over?

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #7,794 of 16,931
Which comply tips you are using?
I have decreased the highs by -6dB in Rockbox to tame the highs while using the stock tips and they are sounding way too better now. Infact, I am loving them! Still would like to try out different tips as I don't want to change the freq setting in my source.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #7,795 of 16,931
T400 medium. On the Turbines, its incredibly muffled sounding without EQ. I'll shorten the tips when I get home.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #7,796 of 16,931
if you guys dont like highs , foam tips are best , rubber tips give more highs then  soft rubber , then silicone .

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #7,797 of 16,931
I'm somewhat of a treblehead, so the foam tips were really bad for me sound-wise in stock form.

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #7,799 of 16,931
I bought the Sony Hybrids. They're not much better than the stock tips in comfort. Comfort is priority one.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #7,800 of 16,931
Quote:
THanks Joker, for the info.. Much appreciated..
I  guess I may stick with E10. But on a last note do you think Atrio MG7 ( mobile version ) will be better with the specified sound preference ( in the line of e10) ??

The MG7 is a little different from the E10 - it'll have more subbass and maybe not enough mid-bass, plus less treble sparkle and a narrower soundstage in exchange for a less vague sonic image and better detail and clarity. I am also not aware of an MG7 with mic, only the lower-end Atrio X.

Quote:
Hey Joker , I thank you a lot for these reviews. I have bought a Meelectronics M6 as my first IEM based on your review and it was EXACTLY how you described. 

I am looking for a new pair with more budget (100~160$), I have searched the reviews of head-fi and one of Brainwavz B2, Hifiman Re 262 and VSonic GR 07 could be the perfect match for me.

I basically want one for thrash/speedy metal, having reasonable mid-bass and mids,high as good as possible, and it shouldnt be much treble based such as Brainwavz M4. I want one for comfort, durability for atleast 2-3 years, best isolation and (optionally) with an inline microphone (only Etymotic Hf2/3/5 seems to have it, as it doesnt sound as good as RE262/GR07, a better alternative could be appreciated!)  

Sound quality comes first and then accessories(microphone etc). So what do you suggest me to buy Joker ? Any other IEM suggestions that  you can give apart from the ones you mentioned?

Thanks for your time!

Regards.

I've never heard the Brainwavz M4. Also, it's hard to say which of the IEMs will be durable for several years. partly because it depends heavily on how you treat them. I had a pair of RE0s for over a year and they still looked and sounded like new when I sold them. Others have had trouble getting six months' use out them. 

Having to have a mic really narrows things down. The HF2/3 is very good and certainly can compete with the best in the price range. However, I am not sure what mid-bass level you consider reasonable - the HF2/3 has no mid-bass boost. An alternative would be to buy the Phonak Perfect Bass (022) and an additional filter pack to turn them into 122s if necessary. 

If you drop the mic requirement, there's tons of options. The RE262 might not be heavy enough on the treble and the B2 might not have enough bass but the GR07, FXT90, or EPH-100 should be fine. The EPH-100 will have more mid-bass than the GR07 and potentially less fatiguing treble, It also isolates a lot. 

Quote:
Hey Joker,
Thank's a lot for these huge reviews.
Will you review UE Triple Fi 10 someday?
Interesting, which place my only IEM's takse in your comparison table.
Thanks!

Someday... 

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Hey Joker, Thanks for your humongous review.

I have the RE262 and the ATH CK10. Both are really great warriers in their own arenas. Having said that, I somehow keep longing for that perfect sound even though these two keep surprising me from time to time.
I sometimes find the RE262 too dull for some music and the ATH CK10 are definitely way too bright for me.
Just for reference, I just love the sound signature of my modded Fostex T50RPs headphones. The natural mids and silky smooth highs are just to die for! The bass is also very fast and impactful, but never overwhelming. Only problem is their portability.

I am searching for an IEM with similar sound traits as my Fostex. Any suggestion here? 

Just to summarise, following are my requirements:
 1. Quick and natural bass. I can't stand boominess.
 2. Natural midrange. I don't want the midrange bump.
 3. Very silky smooth highs. I am sensitive to sibilance. For reference, I find the ATH CK10 "too" bright.

Any suggestions for this deranged soul?

I've never heard the T50RP but it sounds like you need to sell the RE262 and CK10 both and go for an RE272 (assuming you don't find the midrange presence on the RE262 excessive) or Ety ER4S. The Westone 4 may also be a good option, but pricy in comparison. They will have much more impact, though. Again, not sure what the T50RP sounds like so I am not sure what the balance you are looking for is. Most armature-based IEMs will not sound bloated or boomy, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back