Multi-Portable Amp Thread: 16 amps reviewed (Leckerton UHA-6S MKII added)
Mar 13, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #271 of 283
Is there anyone who has heard both the Sunrise Audio Ray and the C&C BH? Which one would be more bang for the buck? I'll be using my Beyerdynamic T51p and Shure SE215 with them. Thanks

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #272 of 283
I really can't help, but if it is worth anything I had the Ray, but there was a problem with it.  I sent it back and was never sent a replacement, however I do still have the Dolphin, which can sound brilliant with some pairings and not so brilliant with others.  I should have a review in the next month or two of that.  The C&C BH looks interesting, but I have no idea if it is good or not.  It may have a low output impedance, which is a very good thing, based on the rated headphone impedance, but that is just a guess.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #273 of 283
Hi Average_Joe,

I posted a question in the Help Forum but didn't get a answer. I'm hoping you can help.

First, I'm rather new to headphones and Amps/DACs. I plan on purchasing the Alpha Dog with the primary devices being phones, laptops/PCs. and tablets.

So, I am looking for a single AMP/DAC device that can drive the Alpha Dog. A DAC to use with my Windows 8 devices via USB and AMP to use with my Nokia phone using line out/in (I'm assuming I will benefit of having a portal AMP for the headphone).

I've been looking through your thread and others and the one that seems to fit the bill is HiFi M8. However, it's outside my budget and looks too big. My budget is <$300, preferable <$200.

Is there a single device that fits my need?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #274 of 283
Check out the UHA-6S MKII, It has a built in DAC. It sure can drive the alpha dogs fine and you can use the amp section separately from the DAC.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #275 of 283
  Check out the UHA-6S MKII, I has a built in DAC. It sure can drive the alpha dogs fine and you can use the amp section separately from the DAC.

Thanks Headwhacker,

I read the review on that device from Average_Joe a few days ago and thought it would fit the bill. However, I had read many other threads while search for the "one" AMP/DAC and completely forgot about it. (That's what happens when you start following too many rabbit holes.) Thanks for the reminder.

I'll check this out, again. Any other devices?

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #276 of 283
  Hi Average_Joe,

I posted a question in the Help Forum but didn't get a answer. I'm hoping you can help.

First, I'm rather new to headphones and Amps/DACs. I plan on purchasing the Alpha Dog with the primary devices being phones, laptops/PCs. and tablets.

So, I am looking for a single AMP/DAC device that can drive the Alpha Dog. A DAC to use with my Windows 8 devices via USB and AMP to use with my Nokia phone using line out/in (I'm assuming I will benefit of having a portal AMP for the headphone).

I've been looking through your thread and others and the one that seems to fit the bill is HiFi M8. However, it's outside my budget and looks too big. My budget is <$300, preferable <$200.

Is there a single device that fits my need?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, the UHA 6-S MK II is a good option.  There is also the ADL Stride, which is the cheaper version of the Cruise.  There is a hiss issue with sensitive IEMs, but worked well with headphones for me.

UHA:
- Rollable opamps
- Gain switch
- Use as an Android/Apple DAC
- Optical input needed for 24/96
- Size/shape is better
- Micro USB connector
Stride:
- Higher overall sound quality
- 24/96 via USB
- Over 2x battery life (80 hours per the manufacturer)
- Mini USB connector
- Does not support tablets

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #277 of 283

Yes, the UHA 6-S MK II is a good option.  There is also the ADL Stride, which is the cheaper version of the Cruise.  There is a hiss issue with sensitive IEMs, but worked well with headphones for me.

UHA:
- Rollable opamps
- Gain switch
- Use as an Android/Apple DAC
- Optical input needed for 24/96
- Size/shape is better
- Micro USB connector
Stride:
- Higher overall sound quality
- 24/96 via USB
- Over 2x battery life (80 hours per the manufacturer)
- Mini USB connector
- Does not support tablets

Thanks average_joe,

Given the two devices, I like size and micro-usb features of UHA. ADL Stride seem to be a bit too odd of a shape to carry around.

With some others' feedback, I am leaning heavily towards the UHA.

Thanks again.

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #279 of 283
Hi Average_Joe,

Would you be able to add the JDS labs C5/D to your review? 

I'm interested in how the amp section of the UHA-6-S MKII stacks up to the C5 since they are both similarly priced. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #280 of 283
hey guys wanted to tell you that the old Portaphile 627 version will be back in a new "panel" design, which is better ofc, yet this will be for a limited number, man i can't wait to have mine, if some head-fiers want it then don't miss the golden chance.

for those who want to know what is the difference between the old and the new version, lets say the new version lack the hint of warmth that the old versions had, which is why so many people were starving to get the old version from the sale threads

the new version isn't bad or anything , its just that audiophile who want Neutral + hint of warmth and smoothness can't get that sound sig with the new versions

anyway if you want to pre order it will be for 449$ + shipping  , contact Portaphile's Cesar on this email : http://smartbuys@usa.com

oh i forgot to say that i had the Pico Power and the old Portaphile 627, and i would pick the 627 over the Pico Power anytime ^^

hey Joe thanks again for reviewing this amp, its really the best i had :p just wanted the others to know that there is still a chance to have it.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #281 of 283

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #282 of 283
so which is the best new portable amp with bass boost out there for planar headphones beside the cavali one

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #283 of 283
Getting ready to order a set of Campfire Vega IEMs. Ordered a Ray Samuels Shadow today. Sent him an Email this morning expecting to get an answer tomorrow, but I got a response an hour later. Looked like a good amp to power my iPod Classic with all lossless Apple tunes. Vegas are next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back