Music sounds muddy without EQ on PCs. Why?
Oct 22, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:
- output impedance varies from device to device, which can account for a perceived change in frequency response as well; on the iphone I think the output impedance is a bit high, which can result in a louder bass and thus perceived increase in quality

For the OP, I'd indeed try an EQ that takes away nothing but some energy around 100 Hz and seeing if that improves on the muddiness.

Quote:
Read the context. The discussion is about EQing and EQing alone.

Which is what I was pointing out. EQ vs. no EQ (which is a small subset of the chain of alteration the source goes through) rather than altered vs. unaltered (which is on a completely different scale). To me it seems that in this very context making an altered/unaltered statement beelines into the depths of the mind to leave an impression that using EQ tramples on and spoils some supposed natural purity of a recording. Whether people like to EQ or not I've no issue with.

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #18 of 19
The big thing of EQ vs sound quality also comes down to the implementation of the EQ itself. Does it affect just those waveforms with a fundamental in that range? Does it affect the harmonics in waveforms of lower frequency? Poor implementations will also add phase shift, which will affect spacial cues in the midrange. Is any of that even perceptible to the common listener? Etc.

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Which is what I was pointing out. EQ vs. no EQ (which is a small subset of the chain of alteration the source goes through) rather than altered vs. unaltered (which is on a completely different scale). To me it seems that in this very context making an altered/unaltered statement beelines into the depths of the mind to leave an impression that using EQ tramples on and spoils some supposed natural purity of a recording. Whether people like to EQ or not I've no issue with.

Fair enough. It comes down to semantics to an extent, but I get what you mean.

The brain does processing on its own, which can be skewed through EQing, but it seems that, overall, the OP prefers his sound EQ'd.

And I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, that wasn't my intention
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back