Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Nov 28, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #1,381 of 1,502
Because I only use it as a streamer and prefer external R2R DACs. The streamer part is the same in the Master A6. I am not too fussed about either of the built in d/s DACs.
I know, it sounds a bit like wasting money on the built in EverSolo DAC, but the streamer bit is so good and clean sounding, it is worth the asking price alone.
Yes as expected. I was considering either the A6 ME or Pegasus, after many days of readings and watching reviews, I think an R2R dac would be suitable for me

Nov 28, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #1,382 of 1,502
The Zen DAC is a great little entry level DAC. Pegasus is a different category, so yes, you should be able to hear the improvement. You could expect a bigger soundstage, better imaging, more life-like timbre and so on. With an upgrade fuse you can also further improve clarity, but even in stock form the Pegasus should be quite a jump from the Zen.
100% agree on the fuse swap thing - makes the Pegasus punch so far above its weight class that it's not even funny.

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #1,384 of 1,502
100% agree on the fuse swap thing - makes the Pegasus punch so far above its weight class that it's not even funny.
Agree, was in sceptic mode what to replacement, but decided to try, not the great price for such experiment and interesting. Especially attract the friend who if far from audio entertainments but like music for fuse replacement. BTW, he has the degree in radioelectronics. I was wondered, he was shocked, that cannot work in his mind, but the difference was really evident.

BTW, doesn't remember in what direction we plugged it in. Does somebody try to reverse it? I ask about personal experience, not the legends :relieved:

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #1,385 of 1,502
Ok. I tested the SR Purple fuse direction and is that working at all. Yes, really, the difference is clear at once, no any long tests, just reverse, turn on, clear. Nothing to test. Difference - more clear and bright sound. I was listening this sound more than year so no any doubts.

1702143677276.png

Dec 14, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #1,386 of 1,502
Just when I was about to put an order on the Pegasus, I’ve learned that Holo audio Cyan2 has released and stock will be arriving soon and they have demo unit to test. Too bad our local dealer for Pegasus doesn’t have demo. This is tough decision to make

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #1,387 of 1,502
Hi folks,

I got Chinese fuse for testing but I don't know how to open top lid of Musician. Can I ask someone to advise it, please? I cannot see screw related to the lid.

Thank you!

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #1,388 of 1,502
Hi folks,

I got Chinese fuse for testing but I don't know how to open top lid of Musician. Can I ask someone to advise it, please? I cannot see screw related to the lid.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 701BA893-D338-4F6F-B27F-2AF24C7A3228.jpeg
    701BA893-D338-4F6F-B27F-2AF24C7A3228.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #1,389 of 1,502
Once you remove those screws, you have to pull the top UP and it's a bit snug. I had to tap mine loose with the soft end of a screwdriver. YMMV.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #1,390 of 1,502
I2s recently stopped working on my Pegasus. I was enjoying rolling I2s cables and had swapped them many times before this happened, so the HDMI port doesn't just simply break very easily. The fat I2s connectors obviously put too much pressure on the nearby Coax port. HDMI are known to internally break from pressure and not be the most robust of connections.

Does anyone know of someone who repairs Denafrips?

IMG_5291.JPEG

IMG_5292.JPEG

Jan 3, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #1,391 of 1,502
I2s recently stopped working on my Pegasus. I was enjoying rolling I2s cables and had swapped them many times before this happened, so the HDMI port doesn't just simply break very easily. The fat I2s connectors obviously put too much pressure on the nearby Coax port. HDMI are known to internally break from pressure and not be the most robust of connections.

Does anyone know of someone who repairs Denafrips?
If connector is broken, then good workshop can fix it. It doesn't need to be Denafrips service. Unless you afraid it will void warranty.

However HDMI ports are frequently damaged by static electricity. If you are hot-swaping, then it could be a case.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #1,392 of 1,502
If connector is broken, then good workshop can fix it. It doesn't need to be Denafrips service. Unless you afraid it will void warranty.

However HDMI ports are frequently damaged by static electricity. If you are hot-swaping, then it could be a case.
Do need to find a matching I2s port though unless a regular HDMI port will work. It's not so easy to locate parts from Musician.

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #1,393 of 1,502
Do need to find a matching I2s port though unless a regular HDMI port will work. It's not so easy to locate parts from Musician.
It is regular HDMI connector. You can find the same type on Mouser, Digikey, etc. But don't try to replace yourself unless you have hot air rework station and elementary practice.

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #1,395 of 1,502
It is regular HDMI connector. You can find the same type on Mouser, Digikey, etc. But don't try to replace yourself unless you have hot air rework station and elementary practice.
Thanks for the answers, very helpful. I've been struggling to get this fixed for sure. Thats big if I only need an HDMI port. Tempting to solder it myself as I can solder but I don't want to risk doing a sub par job. I will let a professional handle it for sure! Thankfully l have a well tuned AES cable to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back