Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Apr 9, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #1,472 of 1,482
Hello. which digital output of the LUMIN transport do you use? the usb input of my dac is occupied by the pc. optical input for the TV. AES or coax remained free on the LUMIN u2 device. which standard would be better for u2? I read that AES xlr is not good for the digital part, because its positive and negative signals cannot run at the same time and this causes jitter, and the ear hears the transient, and in principle the square signal is cleaner and safer, with less jitter in the case of coax. what do you think? I have a musician audio aquarius dac.

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #1,473 of 1,482
Hello. which digital output of the LUMIN transport do you use? the usb input of my dac is occupied by the pc. optical input for the TV. AES or coax remained free on the LUMIN u2 device. which standard would be better for u2? I read that AES xlr is not good for the digital part, because its positive and negative signals cannot run at the same time and this causes jitter, and the ear hears the transient, and in principle the square signal is cleaner and safer, with less jitter in the case of coax. what do you think? I have a musician audio aquarius dac.
I suggest AES. Especially since Aquarius doesn’t have a bnc connection for spdif like Lumin has. RCAs are not optimal for digital.

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #1,475 of 1,482
"RCAs are not optimal for digital" so why have we used them for decades? why is aes better than rca coax?
Enforced standard by a popular Japanese gear, in Europe was DIN standard, more compact and better.

How the old analogue standard was adopted for digital transfers, it is a mystery. Complete nonsense, technically incorrect.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #1,476 of 1,482
After a while of not having I2s with my Pegasus I figured out what was wrong with it. My extra fat I2s cables put much pressure on the nearby Coax input and the I2s stopped working and I can confirm this. I decided the other day to try out Coax for the first time on the Pegasus having acquired a few nice Coax cables. After doing so I put in the I2s and it's working now. By using the Coax I think it must have moved something in there and fixed it, makes some sense.

Wow the Pegasus is good with I2s, I've been so happy ever since getting this back. Its nature likes the revealing cable very much. Definitely toe to toe, often the favorite, in the merry-go-round vs Weiss DAC 204 and R26. I've never heard my system sound more lifelike than with the Pegasus on certain songs.

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #1,477 of 1,482
After a while of not having I2s with my Pegasus I figured out what was wrong with it. My extra fat I2s cables put much pressure on the nearby Coax input and the I2s stopped working and I can confirm this. I decided the other day to try out Coax for the first time on the Pegasus having acquired a few nice Coax cables. After doing so I put in the I2s and it's working now. By using the Coax I think it must have moved something in there and fixed it, makes some sense.

Wow the Pegasus is good with I2s, I've been so happy ever since getting this back. Its nature likes the revealing cable very much. Definitely toe to toe, often the favorite, in the merry-go-round vs Weiss DAC 204 and R26. I've never heard my system sound more lifelike than with the Pegasus on certain songs.
You had an R26 to directly compare it to? I had a chance to listen to an R26 and compare it to my Draco. While impressed with the R26 in some regards, it wasn't for me. Now I am wondering how a Pegasus ii would sound...

Apr 13, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #1,478 of 1,482
You had an R26 to directly compare it to? I had a chance to listen to an R26 and compare it to my Draco. While impressed with the R26 in some regards, it wasn't for me. Now I am wondering how a Pegasus ii would sound...
Yea I own an R26. I don't want to go too in-depth as I'm still learning my DACs even more and my system is still changing, about to add another AMP and it I will be able to A/B these DACs with XLR/XLR. I can AB them with RCA/RCA on my tube amp. I will have better insight some day and it's easy to make bad impressions. Seems like it can take a year or two to really do it right. I can see why some wouldn't like the R26 in cases or pairings, or any of these DACs, no doubt and I've had my struggles with it at times. It tends to be over-revealing in my system showing too much of bad recordings, sibilance, it can be a bit peaky in cases in the upper mids. I've been enjoying tuning it down a bit with an Audio Envy AES lately, it's smoother, more rounded, darker than Tubulus I2s which is a bit much. I would say the AE cable is an upgrade in a way for overall balance. It's the opposite for the Peg, it loves the Tubulus and whatever feeds the most resolution has been the best.

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #1,479 of 1,482
Yea I own an R26. I don't want to go too in-depth as I'm still learning my DACs even more and my system is still changing, about to add another AMP and it I will be able to A/B these DACs with XLR/XLR. I can AB them with RCA/RCA on my tube amp. I will have better insight some day and it's easy to make bad impressions. Seems like it can take a year or two to really do it right. I can see why some wouldn't like the R26 in cases or pairings, or any of these DACs, no doubt and I've had my struggles with it at times. It tends to be over-revealing in my system showing too much of bad recordings, sibilance, it can be a bit peaky in cases in the upper mids. I've been enjoying tuning it down a bit with an Audio Envy AES lately, it's smoother, more rounded, darker than Tubulus I2s which is a bit much. I would say the AE cable is an upgrade in a way for overall balance. It's the opposite for the Peg, it loves the Tubulus and whatever feeds the most resolution has been the best.
I also agree. Sold the R26 because it sounded too dry in my system, and even FMC mods didn't help. With Pegasus I generally preferred I2S over AES on several cables I've tried (Singxer SU6). Other parts of the system matter as well, but Pegasus has such nice solid bass and natural mids that I haven't heard in other DACs.

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #1,480 of 1,482
I also agree. Sold the R26 because it sounded too dry in my system, and even FMC mods didn't help. With Pegasus I generally preferred I2S over AES on several cables I've tried (Singxer SU6). Other parts of the system matter as well, but Pegasus has such nice solid bass and natural mids that I haven't heard in other DACs.
That is exactly my experience with the R26; it had air and a fantastic soundstage, but was dry and lacked body.

I am giving the A26 a try, but might end up with a Pegasus ii...

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #1,481 of 1,482
Hello guys, I'm going to order the SR Purple fuse and I want to double-check with you the fuse specs to make it right. I am located in Europe (230V) so I understand I need only one fuse to replace. The specs should be 5x20mm, 2A, slow blow. Is that correct?

Snímek obrazovky 2024-04-26 v 11.46.11.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back