Musician Draco R2R DAC
Jul 17, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #31 of 96
I hadn't actually listened to mine outside of my desk headphone rig. But it really sounds striking in my main stereo system - utterly dripping with ambiance...

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #32 of 96
Aug 24, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #33 of 96
Guys I currently have Soekris 1541 but I find it a little bit too neutral for my taste. Was looking at Pegasus but not sure if I want to spend that much. You know....... life reasons LOL.

So here I am looking at Draco. Though I do have a few questions:

1. I read somewhere the the RCA out isn't that good? Or is it just not as good as XLR but still pretty good? I have Violectric V200 so it does have both RCA in and XLR in but technically it's not a balanced amp.

2. How is the USB implementation here, I think Pegasus has their own proprietary USB thing, is it the same here? I only found out recently that apparently USB in general is the worst type of digital input LOL. Never knew.

3. Would I need something like Eitr? Come to think about it I don't even know if I need Eitr for the Soekris lol.

4. Anyone tried this with the Violectri V200?

Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!!!

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #34 of 96
Guys I currently have Soekris 1541 but I find it a little bit too neutral for my taste. Was looking at Pegasus but not sure if I want to spend that much. You know....... life reasons LOL.
I prefer Denafrips to Soekris, no opamps in a signal path, Musician would be similar. Perhaps you should try Audio GD R-1, pure DAC or R-28 with HPA/preamp combo you will be on a safe side. Or if on a budger, R2R-11 combo is below $700 (but it is single ended and NOS only). A sound is neutral, slightly on the warm side. Completely different than Soekris, more similar to these above but more involving and dynamic. I think it is what you are looking for, as it seems I understand term 'neutral' in a different way.

All use a standard Amanero Combo384 USB receiver, there is no problems with.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #35 of 96
I prefer Denafrips to Soekris, no opamps in a signal path, Musician would be similar. Perhaps you should try Audio GD R-1, pure DAC or R-28 with HPA/preamp combo you will be on a safe side. Or if on a budger, R2R-11 combo is below $700 (but it is single ended and NOS only). A sound is neutral, slightly on the warm side. Completely different than Soekris, more similar to these above but more involving and dynamic. I think it is what you are looking for, as it seems I understand term 'neutral' in a different way.

All use a standard Amanero Combo384 USB receiver, there is no problems with.
Hey thanks for the suggestion! I'm not too familiar with Audio GD stuff but I'll look into it.

Initially I was leaning on Musician Draco because it's a bit easier to find in Canada (Amazon) LOL.

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #36 of 96
Hey thanks for the suggestion! I'm not too familiar with Audio GD stuff but I'll look into it.

Initially I was leaning on Musician Draco because it's a bit easier to find in Canada (Amazon) LOL.
There is a local distributor in US, but not in Canada, sorry. What about second-hand R-1/R-28?

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #37 of 96
There is a local distributor in US, but not in Canada, sorry. What about second-hand R-1/R-28?
I don't see any second hand R-1/R-28 at the moment. But I could always get it from outside Canada too.

That being said is R-1/R-28 better or more suitable for my taste than the Draco? If it's a big difference I'll keep hunting for it, but if it's a small difference then it's just much easier for me to get a Draco instead.

I guess I was leaning towards Draco due to the more vocal emphasis. Thanks!

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #38 of 96
That being said is R-1/R-28 better or more suitable for my taste than the Draco?
Difficult to say, as you described Soekris sound as "to neutral". In my dictionary there is no such neutral scale. It is warm - > neutral - > cold. Warm is usually associated with distortion. Cold is frequently replaced with other terms. Neutral is neccessary for a natural sound, but is not implied. So 'neutral' is not a bad things, you had to mean something different, perhaps dynamics, emotions, maybe you didn't hear enough grass, I don't know.

If you like dynamics, real punch, then Audio GD. Such dynamics you will find in BF2, but details are destroyed, Audio GD maintains details during fast transients, it is a big plus, even in the entry model R2R-11. But it can sound to bright at times, higher models fix this, giving more refinement. Denafrips/Musicians sound more smooth, it is less natural, but you may like it better.

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #39 of 96
Difficult to say, as you described Soekris sound as "to neutral". In my dictionary there is no such neutral scale. It is warm - > neutral - > cold. Warm is usually associated with distortion. Cold is frequently replaced with other terms. Neutral is neccessary for a natural sound, but is not implied. So 'neutral' is not a bad things, you had to mean something different, perhaps dynamics, emotions, maybe you didn't hear enough grass, I don't know.

If you like dynamics, real punch, then Audio GD. Such dynamics you will find in BF2, but details are destroyed, Audio GD maintains details during fast transients, it is a big plus, even in the entry model R2R-11. But it can sound to bright at times, higher models fix this, giving more refinement. Denafrips/Musicians sound more smooth, it is less natural, but you may like it better.
lol ah yes when you put it this way then yes I think Audio GD is for me. :joy:

I listen to a lot of female vocal rock / acoustic songs. So yes I do generally look for dynamic, emotions and string instruments lol.

Aug 28, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #40 of 96

So here I am looking at Draco. Though I do have a few questions:

1. I read somewhere the the RCA out isn't that good? Or is it just not as good as XLR but still pretty good? I have Violectric V200 so it does have both RCA in and XLR in but technically it's not a balanced amp.

2. How is the USB implementation here, I think Pegasus has their own proprietary USB thing, is it the same here? I only found out recently that apparently USB in general is the worst type of digital input LOL. Never knew.

3. Would I need something like Eitr? Come to think about it I don't even know if I need Eitr for the Soekris lol.

4. Anyone tried this with the Violectri V200?

Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!!!

Thanks for your patience - I've been meaning to get back to you for a few days.

I am using my Draco in my high end living room system, which is single ended, and it sounds fantastic. I don't feel like I am missing anything by not going XLR. Ie, theoretically I could sell the Draco and buy something perhaps higher performance with single ended only, but I don't see a reason to do so.

I never tried XLR AND SE simultaneously like I did with my Ares. With the Ares it was a clear detriment to try to run both - the difference was clear, and not in a good way. I suspect that it would be the same with the Draco - ie, you shouldn't try to run SE and XLR simultaneously.

I can't speak for its USB performance. But as @sajunky said, it is using the well regarded Almenaro chipset.

That said, I am using a DDC on mine, and I am convinced it is an improvement. I was running my Draco via a Singxer SU-1 with I2S connection and it sounded fantastic. I am currently running my Draco via a Douk U2 Pro with I2S connection. For about $50 it is a no brainer. I had a Schiit Etyr, but sold it because I didn't think it did much to improve the sound.

I hope that helps...

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #41 of 96
I suspect that it would be the same with the Draco - ie, you shouldn't try to run SE and XLR simultaneously.
Lol yeah I think on the Musician Draco page it says to not run both together at once.:sweat_smile:

But I'll keep this in mind lol.
I can't speak for its USB performance. But as @sajunky said, it is using the well regarded Almenaro chipset.
Ah cool that's good to hear. :)

I think I come from the Schiit Modi Multibit days where the usb was gen 2/3 so you really need a DDC to fix it one way or another. So now I'm forever question the quality of usb these days LOL.
I was running my Draco via a Singxer SU-1 with I2S connection and it sounded fantastic. I am currently running my Draco via a Douk U2 Pro with I2S connection.
I think from Draco page it says there is no standard wiring on I2S connection, so is it hard to setup? Or was it actually plug and play?
I had a Schiit Etyr, but sold it because I didn't think it did much to improve the sound.
Ah ok I have an opportunity to buy it locally but maybe I'll pass for now, good to know. Thanks!!!

But overall sounds like there is a lot of options in terms of R2R dac I'll need to think about the options for a bit. But otherwise that's very good to hear and thank you for the feedback!:smiley:

Aug 28, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #42 of 96
Lol yeah I think on the Musician Draco page it says to not run both together at once.:sweat_smile:

But I'll keep this in mind lol.

Ah cool that's good to hear. :)

I think I come from the Schiit Modi Multibit days where the usb was gen 2/3 so you really need a DDC to fix it one way or another. So now I'm forever question the quality of usb these days LOL.

I think from Draco page it says there is no standard wiring on I2S connection, so is it hard to setup? Or was it actually plug and play?

Ah ok I have an opportunity to buy it locally but maybe I'll pass for now, good to know. Thanks!!!

But overall sounds like there is a lot of options in terms of R2R dac I'll need to think about the options for a bit. But otherwise that's very good to hear and thank you for the feedback!:smiley:

There are instructions on how to configure the I2S connection. It didn't connect initially, but less than 5 minutes of fiddling and it worked perfectly - the same setting for the Singxer then the Douk.

Aug 28, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #43 of 96
There are instructions on how to configure the I2S connection. It didn't connect initially, but less than 5 minutes of fiddling and it worked perfectly - the same setting for the Singxer then the Douk.
Cool I'll keep this in mind also right now Draco is technically my easiest option since it's being sold on Amazon Canada. Everything else is like oversea purchase or have to hunt down second hand market, so this is very tempting LOL.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #44 of 96
Cool I'll keep this in mind also right now Draco is technically my easiest option since it's being sold on Amazon Canada. Everything else is like oversea purchase or have to hunt down second hand market, so this is very tempting LOL.
Hyde00, did you ever get the Draco? Would love to hear more people's impressions of it.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #45 of 96
Hyde00, did you ever get the Draco? Would love to hear more people's impressions of it.
I’ve used it in balanced mode with RNHP and now using RCA with Woo Audio WA6 2nd Gen. Both are awesome on it. Kind of mind blowingly good

Attachments

• 9C1DBEC8-6969-4799-9842-BAD7836DF683.jpeg
    9C1DBEC8-6969-4799-9842-BAD7836DF683.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2C0059C1-8107-42BF-9E62-DDE95EC0F598.jpeg
    2C0059C1-8107-42BF-9E62-DDE95EC0F598.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back