My DIY Audio Rack
Sep 30, 2007 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

colonelkernel8

Headphoneus Supremus
Here is a rendering of my latest DIY idea. It is an isolation rack that I designed based on various styles that I liked. All joints are mortise and tenon so it will be very strong. I don't know what kind of wood I will use for it, probably maple, but that will get expensive fast, so it will probably end up being something cheaper.

rack.png

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 48
Dude... I made maple headphone stands...and it really is worth the money!

They are heavy as hell but really beautiful!

...oh and sonically...wow...what an improvement ...
blink.gif

Enjoy the building.

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 48
What will be your method to attach the legs to the table tops?
I wish I had the skills to make something like that.
Good luck on the build.

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 48
Although, being a woodworker myself, I enjoy things that are well crafted, it seems that your design goes against every tendancy of high end "audiophile" racks. No dampening, nothing to prevent vibration, or distribute heat, etc.

Have you taken any of these into consideration?

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although, being a woodworker myself, I enjoy things that are well crafted, it seems that your design goes against every tendancy of high end "audiophile" racks. No dampening, nothing to prevent vibration, or distribute heat, etc.

Have you taken any of these into consideration?

Actually, the shelves are "floating" and will be on spikes on their four corners. There is a 1/4" gap all around the shelf (its hard to see, I know). Then the whole thing will be mounted on large, custom milled aluminum spikes (not pictured). Heat is not an issue, I only have one tube item, and it will be on top. No class D amps or anything
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the shelves are "floating" and will be on spikes on their four corners. There is a 1/4" gap all around the shelf (its hard to see, I know). Then the whole thing will be mounted on large, custom milled aluminum spikes (not pictured). Heat is not an issue, I only have one tube item, and it will be on top. No class D amps or anything
tongue.gif

Well he got you there...

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow colonel, can't wait to see the final result !

I predict a
mad.gif
guy burning
evil_smiley.gif
wood
rs1smile.gif
haha

I dont get it.

I think to top it off I am going to get a metal plate engraved with "Brady Audio" and put it on the top shelf. Then I'll sell it for a grand. Ha, just kidding about that part.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Class D amps are usually smaller, more efficient, and don't produce as much heat.
wink.gif
Nice work though, I look forward to seeing the completed rack.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Class D amps are usually smaller, more efficient, and don't produce as much heat.
wink.gif
Nice work though, I look forward to seeing the completed rack.

Yeah, not really sure what I was thinking there. Class A produces all the heat. Yeah, like Pass Labs and First Watt stuff.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 48
Yah, none of that is in the rendering. Sounds good.

AND GOOD LUCK!

I'll be checking back for pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back