My DIY electrostatic headphones
Jun 17, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #3,961 of 4,061
After long time I made new E-stats, this time with oval shape. The dimmensions of the cup are 110x90mm.
Active area of the diaphragm is 75x55mm.
1.PNGIMG_0335.JPGIMG_0336.JPG

Stators are FR-4 as always, this time 0.6mm thick with ENIG surface. Spacers are also 0.6mm. I tried some graphene nanoparticles treatment for cars as the coating but it never worked for me. So I ended up with rubbing graphite powder. This solution is working for almost 3 years without degrading on my previous headphones, but only downside is that the headphones are much more susceptible for farting.

IMG_0330.JPGIMG_0331.JPGIMG_0332.JPGIMG_0334.JPG

Cups are printed from abs and this time I tried cheap silicone cable from Alliexpres and did my own plug.

FR.png

There is frequency response from miniDSP with SBAF compensation, I was really impressed how good was the matching on this pair. Overall the sound is pleasant but I still prefer my old 110mm circular E-stats.
These looks amazing. Mind sharing where you got your FR4, mylar and how you stretched your mylar? :)

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #3,963 of 4,061
mattmatt: FR-4 is from JLCpcb. Mylar is 3um from ebay, but it is few years back I bought it. As for the stretching, I am doing it by hands on flat glass with tape.

chinsettawong: Aliexpress sometimes have weird behavior. Anyway, for others or when the link will be dead:
obrázek_2023-06-17_150902001.png

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #3,964 of 4,061
mattmatt: FR-4 is from JLCpcb. Mylar is 3um from ebay, but it is few years back I bought it. As for the stretching, I am doing it by hands on flat glass with tape.

chinsettawong: Aliexpress sometimes have weird behavior. Anyway, for others or when the link will be dead:
obrázek_2023-06-17_150902001.png
I've always wanted to order from JLCpcb but I don't know how to make gerber files. When I tried doing it via Fusion360, I don't know how to make copper traces.

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #3,965 of 4,061
I believe that you must use Eagle from Fusion360 licence. Or it is merged into one program now? You can find lot of guides on Youtube. Free alternative is KiCad, you can do it in every PCB layout program, but it can be sometimes tricky to use it for designing stators and spacers.

Jul 10, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #3,968 of 4,061
Hello everyone in this forum.
First of all, congratulations to the author.
You've done a great job, it's just phenomenal what details you've gone to.
I also want to test the idea.
I have a few questions, if you could answer them.
At the beginning of the forum, you mentioned how you make the coating of the membrane, could you give a photo of the glue?
What does PVA glue mean?
;;It consists of 2 parts of PVA glue, 5 parts of water and 2 drops of balck poster ink.;;
Should the membrane be coated on both sides?
thanks

Jul 10, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #3,969 of 4,061
Hi anto22,

I started this thread a long, long time ago. Since then, many things have changed. I no longer use that coating formula anymore. I have found that there are many products on the market that can be used with good result. Something like antistatic spray or a good floor cleaner can be used as the coating material. During the COVID time, I’ve found that a car detail products consisting of graphene is very good too. I’ve been using it for quite a while already, and I like it very much. Please check the thread a few pages back for details.

Wachara C.

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #3,972 of 4,061
anto22: You should try to build standard e-stat headphones first so you will know what this is about. Than you maybe recognize that the wireless e-stat is no-go. The main thing is that e-stats must be open back design otherwise it doesn't work well. My suggestion is to build standard headphones with battery powered amplifier.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #3,974 of 4,061
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back