Mytek Liberty DAC II discussion + impression
Feb 15, 2021 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

HiFiRobot

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone know if the new Mytek DAC is using ES9038Q2M, ES9038PRO or something else?

Mytek Liberty II DAC
Liberty DAC is the Mytek most affordable, yet exeptional, PCM/MQA/DSD USB2 DAC designed for high quality music playback and monitoring of all digital audio formats including all high resolution formats. The DAC features several digital inputs, digital volume control and unbalanced as well as balanced audio outputs and a high performance headphone amplifier. Designed as a little brother of Brooklyn DAC, Liberty DAC provides robust performance in small portable 1/3 rack package.

SPECIFICATIONS

CONVERSION:

Up to 384k, 32bit PCM, native DSD, up to DSD256, DXD, ES9038, 127dB DR

MQA HI-RES DECODER
Built in certified hardware MQATM decoder

DIGITAL INPUTS:
USB2 Class2 (OSX, Linux driverless, all audio formats), AES/EBU (PCM up to 192k, up to DSD64 DOP), 2x S/PDIF (PCM up to 192k, up to DSD64 DOP), Toslink/ADAT 2x S/PDIF (PCM up to 192k, up to DSD64 DOP)

ANALOG OUTPUTS:
1 pair of unbalanced RCA, 1 pair of balanced XLR

HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER:

Reference High Current, High transient Headphone Amp, 300mA, 3 Watts, designed for hard to drive headphones, 0.1 Ohm impedance

CLOCK GENERATOR:
Low noise with 10ps of jitter

FIRMWARE:
Upgradable via USB

POWER SUPPLY
Built in oversized 60W linear toroid with automatic voltage switching

DIMENSIONS:
WxDxH=5.5x8.8x1.74”=140x225x44mm

WEIGHT:
4lbs, 2kg

WARRANTY:
2 years

SHIPPING IN FEBRUARY 2021
$ 995.00 -> $ 1495.00

https://mytek.audio/shop/lbrt-dac-ii-liberty-dac-ii-287#attr=

Liberty II.jpg

Mytek-Liberty-DAC2-2021-rearWeb.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 83
Mytek Liberty DAC II is shipping and in stock.

The new Liberty DAC is a huge improvement over the original Liberty DAC : higher resolution chipset, 60 W oversized analog power supply, better GUI and USB HID capable infrared remote and most importantly very musical, powerful and transparent headphone amp.

From the recent experience:

I just received the Liberty, set it up, and listened to George Harrison's "Isn't It A Pity". Out of the box it the Liberty sounds wonderful with Audeze LCD-X headphones! I hear the unit will "break in" after a few weeks of playing. The Liberty is perfect for a desktop setup! My ears are trained on LPs and I must say the Liberty--with a proper recording--sounds pretty close to analog. Thank you! And Happy New Year!
Yours, Eric

As the Chief Designer of Mytek and this DAC, I'd be happy to answer any QQ related to this new amazing desktop DAC.

Michal Jurewicz, Mytek Audio

Attachments

• Liberty_DAC_II_interior.jpg
    Liberty_DAC_II_interior.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 83

The new Liberty DAC is a huge improvement over the original Liberty DAC : higher resolution chipset, 60 W oversized analog power supply, better GUI and USB HID capable infrared remote and most importantly very musical, powerful and transparent headphone amp.

I just received the Liberty, set it up, and listened to George Harrison's "Isn't It A Pity". Out of the box it the Liberty sounds wonderful with Audeze LCD-X headphones! I hear the unit will "break in" after a few weeks of playing. The Liberty is perfect for a desktop setup! My ears are trained on LPs and I must say the Liberty--with a proper recording--sounds pretty close to analog. Thank you! And Happy New Year!
Yours, Eric

As the Chief Designer of Mytek and this DAC, I'd be happy to answer any QQ related to this new amazing desktop DAC.

Hey Michal, thanks for posting an update.

I've had the Liberty DAC II on pre-order for 5 months now with no updates; do any authorized dealers in the USA actually have this in-stock?

Jan 4, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 83
We have been shipping these for the last 2 weeks. If you did not get a UPS notice, please reach out through our regular email or telefon.

Best Regards , Michal

Thanks Michal, just to clarify; I did not order direct through Mytek, I ordered though an authorized dealer. So perhaps that's the reason for the delay.

Appreciate the update!

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 83

Yours, Eric

Hi Michal, I'm interested in this Liberty DAC II. Just wonder on your website, it says the DAC supports 768k, 32bit and DSD512, but on the front panel it only shows 384k, 24bit and DSD256. Can you please clarify on this? Thanks.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 83
Got my Liberty DAC II in the mail today, quite exciting, particularly after the weight. The DAC certainly has nice heft and feeling to it, indicating a well-built machine.

Haven't listened yet, but one item is that I can't figure out how to switch to volume bypass/fixed output mode to use as a pure DAC. The device comes with no manual. Anybody have insight on this?

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 83
MYTEK Liberty Dac II - Mini Review - 1-15-2022

Purchased from : Headamp.com.

Reviewed using : Tidal & Spotify.

Music by these Artists :

Queen
Echosmith
Keith Urban
Lebron
Yanni
Ghostly Kisses
Five Finger Death Punch
Opeth
Chet Baker
Sarah Chang
Yuja Wang
Adele
Sade
Roger Waters
Dua Lipa
David Guetta
Sting

---------

Box : Its Black, its well packed.

Accessories : Nice Remote. USB Cable. Power Chord

Initial impression of Mytek Liberty Dac II : Build Quality :> Solid. Has Heft. Nice all metal construction.

Design : Utilitarian . Modest. Classic. No Frills. User Friendly. Plug and Play.

Review :

I love to review an affordable, true audiophile gear. And the Mytek Liberty Dac II is exactly this situation.
ITs a high quality, impressive, easy to use gear, that sounds exceptional.

I unboxed it, plugged it in, connected it to my Macbook Pro, opened Tidal and Spotify and the ear joy began at once.
The Audiophile sonics produced by this beautiful little black all metal gear, are very impressive.

I talked to the designer at Mytek for about an hour.
He loves to discuss design philosophy and gear concepts.
He has all the Headphones we love......Susvara, all the Audeze, all of it, and he listens and listens and listens, dialing in the sound, tweeking it to perfection.
We talked about a certain wonderful aspect regarding the sound of this MTK LBTY 2, and its regarding how he took a long time to dial in the Liberty 2's : 2nd Order of Harmonics. The end result is sonic awesome.

To define it simply and clearly.....the MTK LBTY 2 sounds : analog and somewhat like a tube amp.
Not a trace of coldness or thin sound to be found.
The MYTEK Liberty 2
produces a sound signature that is both lush warmth & clean detailed.
Its a sweetly clean analog sounding sonics being offered to your favorite headphones.
There is plenty of power on Tap.

Digital artifice, digital sterility, digital clinical tone, is nowhere to be found in this Gear's fantastic overall sound signature.
Beautiful tonality.

Now what about that Volume knob. ?
Well, the answer is...."yeah BABY".
It is incredible.
It completely eliminates L<>R "balance issues", and it resolves utterly that frustration we all have felt when you can't find the right volume, because the knob is one step too soft and the next step is too loud.
The Mytek Liberty Dac 2's Volume Knob is design stepped in such a perfect way, that you get 4-5 slight Volume Gain increases in between each DB that is raised.
THAT my friends, is THE GOLD.

So, to wrap this short review up.

" true audiophile analog sound"
"plenty of power on tap"
"Volume Knob is the Gold Standard"
"gear feels solid and substantial"
"user friendly, plug and play with ease"

This audiophile gear is a Gem.
Congrats Mytek.
-

-

1642272519244.png
Mytek-Liberty-DAC-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 83
Got my Liberty DAC II in the mail today, quite exciting, particularly after the weight. The DAC certainly has nice heft and feeling to it, indicating a well-built machine.

Haven't listened yet, but one item is that I can't figure out how to switch to volume bypass/fixed output mode to use as a pure DAC. The device comes with no manual. Anybody have insight on this?

Anybody have any experience with this DAC and know how to get it into fixed output?

Jan 25, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 83
Hi Michal, I'm interested in this Liberty DAC II. Just wonder on your website, it says the DAC supports 768k, 32bit and DSD512, but on the front panel it only shows 384k, 24bit and DSD256. Can you please clarify on this? Thanks.
I hope it is not the case here, but I have seen statements like that which are about the capabilities of the DAC chip, not the implementation being sold...

The info on the website has been really slim. The first time I saw a pic of the back panel was here in this thread.

I have a DAC+ and I love it. But I'd like to see some real content on the product pages instead of what they have for the Liberty II now.

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 83
I ordered my Liberty II after my iFi Pro iDSD stopped working after 90 days, and subsequently spent the next two months being lost in some kind of endless repair queue at iFi. The Liberty II got me right back into audio bliss after my time lost in a desert of silence… waiting.

Yes, I would have liked to see a manual specific to the Liberty II on the Mytek site. I read the manual for the original Liberty model and it did help some. There is absolutely no paperwork in the box at all, just the hardware. Also, I tried to download the app so I could check and load new software when needed. It’s not available on the Apple App Store, just from the Mytek site. I have a new Mac with the latest software but couldn’t get past the error messages.

So I decided just to go with the flow and enjoy the music. And the Liberty II really delivers. I love this DAC! Compared to my iFi Pro iDSD I would say I can hear deeper into the music. More clarity and detail, but not in a way that causes fatigue. More detail in a way that makes me want to keep turning the volume up! I love the simplicity… the singleminded and streamlined purpose in the features and controls of this DAC. It just plays music beautifully.

So, if you don’t need all those fab “Swiss army knife” features of the iDSD (which I do love), then the Liberty II will get you as good or better sound for half the price.

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 83
Yes.

Turn the Volume knob to full volume. Turn it all the way up.

This disables the Vol, and sets the Fixed outputs.

True, that does work for sure. I just hate having to turn the knob 100x cause there's very fine steps on this one and it doesn't remember the last setting. I'd prefer to set it to fixed mode and not deal with it lol.

Laziness, I suppose.

Jan 26, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #15 of 83
I ordered my Liberty II after my iFi Pro iDSD stopped working after 90 days, and subsequently spent the next two months being lost in some kind of endless repair queue at iFi. The Liberty II got me right back into audio bliss after my time lost in a desert of silence… waiting.

Yes, I would have liked to see a manual specific to the Liberty II on the Mytek site. I read the manual for the original Liberty model and it did help some. There is absolutely no paperwork in the box at all, just the hardware. Also, I tried to download the app so I could check and load new software when needed. It’s not available on the Apple App Store, just from the Mytek site. I have a new Mac with the latest software but couldn’t get past the error messages.

So I decided just to go with the flow and enjoy the music. And the Liberty II really delivers. I love this DAC! Compared to my iFi Pro iDSD I would say I can hear deeper into the music. More clarity and detail, but not in a way that causes fatigue. More detail in a way that makes me want to keep turning the volume up! I love the simplicity… the singleminded and streamlined purpose in the features and controls of this DAC. It just plays music beautifully.

So, if you don’t need all those fab “Swiss army knife” features of the iDSD (which I do love), then the Liberty II will get you as good or better sound for half the price.

Its a very good Dac.
It has a analog type sonic presentation.
I use it with a Ferrum Audio OOR amp > Susvara.......as the Susy is a Hifiman, so, that means, a warmer, more rich toned Dac like the Liberty 2, is a good chain supply.

It also works well with Audeze, i noted, especially the LCD-5, and it works well with the Final Audio D8000 Pro.
Also with Grado's as those need a warm rich Dac to warm them up.

If a person is looking for a couple of set ups....then the Ferrum Audio OOR is exceptional. Very powerful and like a straight wire, that is not thin sounding amplification.
You could get the Liberty 2 and say a RME Adi 2 Dac FS, and then you have a more analog sound with the Liberty, and a more analytical sound with the RME and then the Ferrum OOR has all the power you'll ever need.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back