NAD D1050 DAC and headphone amplifier
Jul 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #16 of 123
I've tried the older fw that I got from dizzyorange. Thanks for sending it to me. I how ever did not like it. The older FW has smaller soundstage and less impact in the bass.. It does sound smoother but IMO that it not better in this case. The FW that I had before has allot more attack and wider stereo separation. Better sounding IMO. I also tried the newest FW available on NAD's website but I still liked the one that was installed when I received my DAC more. But the newer FW sounded allot more like the one I had but it didn't have the attack and slam of the bass that my old one did which is why I like it so much.

It would be really nice to know what version it is. But as far as I know there is no way of checking.. Or maybe anyone know how the check FW version?

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #18 of 123
  I've tried the older fw that I got from dizzyorange. Thanks for sending it to me. I how ever did not like it. The older FW has smaller soundstage and less impact in the bass.. It does sound smoother but IMO that it not better in this case. The FW that I had before has allot more attack and wider stereo separation. Better sounding IMO. I also tried the newest FW available on NAD's website but I still liked the one that was installed when I received my DAC more. But the newer FW sounded allot more like the one I had but it didn't have the attack and slam of the bass that my old one did which is why I like it so much.

It would be really nice to know what version it is. But as far as I know there is no way of checking.. Or maybe anyone know how the check FW version?

How to check the software version.
Use avr 4,sr8 or any compatible nad remote control for steps below that involve use of remote control.

1. With the d1050 powered up,press and hold "on" button of the remote control until the display starts to flash.Release "on" button and observe the display sequence.

2. Display on the left side will flash first-count how many times this side will flash.The number of times the left side display flashes will correspond to the digit on the left side of the decimal point on the software version vx.x. To Illustrate,for a software "2.1" version,the left side display will flash twice to correspond to the digit left of the decimal point of the software version which in this case is "2".

3. The flashing of the display will automatically switch to the display on the right side.Count also how many times this side will flash.The number of times the right side display flashes will correspond to the digit on the right side of the decimal point of the software version.For the software "v2.1" version example,the right side display will flash once to correspond to the digit right of the decimal point of the software version which in this case is "1".

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #20 of 123
Recently I got chance to audition D1050. Unfortunately I didn't have my gear with me, so I just listened D1050 + B&W P5, which were available in the shop. I listened to different types of music, some in CD quality and some other also in MP3. I wanted to compare with iDSD Nano, but as I mentioned I didn't bring my gear with me. However I can say few words. First of all D1050 does sound very very good. How good? I would say it sounds as good with 44/16 as iDSD Nano sounds with DSD256. I have mentioned that on iDSD Nano thread, that in 44/16 it does sound canned a bit, and when you upsample to DSD256 (in your S/W player) it does sound epic (the can disappears, and a lot of air shows up). If I were to say how NAD D1050 sounds it would be: I'd say it sounds identical as iDSD in DSD mode, but in PCM mode - super crispy clean and what is most important - neutral - this is what NAD is all about - isn't it? :D

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #21 of 123
Zool...you need the remote control (not supplied) to check the firmware version.  I use my programable Logitech Harmony 650 remote as it has the codes for the D1050.  There is a pdf file supplied with the NAD websites firmware file.  It says to hold the remote control on button down for 3+ seconds and then count the number of times the lights flash first in the left row (input selection) and then in the right row (frequency).  My left side (input selected) flashed 2x and the right side flashed 5x so that means I have version 2.5 according to the pdf file.

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #23 of 123
I picked one of these up at a local retailer (Audio Perfection in Minneapolis, MN).  Spent a few days with it as a headphone DAC/amp - loved it with the HD 650s and using coax in from my Bel Canto mLink (USB-to-SPDIF converter).

Loved it so much, I decided to try with my 2-channel system, being fed by a 2009 Mac Mini via USB running Audirvana+ 1.5.12.  Sounds fantastic, but I am getting the occasional glitch/pop/scratching sound that I've never heard before.  It sounds like a power problem, but from where?  USB into the DAC or maybe from the external NAD's SMPS?  Who knows... I ordered a Schiit Wyrd under the assumption that it's a USB problem, but who knows.

Anyone else here experienced anything like this?

I've thought about updating the firmware 2.7, to see if that fixes anything, but when I was running the same Mac Mini into a different DAC, I never heard these artifacts (NAD MDC DAC, version 1, added into the C 375 BEE).

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #24 of 123
  I picked one of these up at a local retailer (Audio Perfection in Minneapolis, MN).  Spent a few days with it as a headphone DAC/amp - loved it with the HD 650s and using coax in from my Bel Canto mLink (USB-to-SPDIF converter).

Loved it so much, I decided to try with my 2-channel system, being fed by a 2009 Mac Mini via USB running Audirvana+ 1.5.12.  Sounds fantastic, but I am getting the occasional glitch/pop/scratching sound that I've never heard before.  It sounds like a power problem, but from where?  USB into the DAC or maybe from the external NAD's SMPS?  Who knows... I ordered a Schiit Wyrd under the assumption that it's a USB problem, but who knows.

Anyone else here experienced anything like this?

I've thought about updating the firmware 2.7, to see if that fixes anything, but when I was running the same Mac Mini into a different DAC, I never heard these artifacts (NAD MDC DAC, version 1, added into the C 375 BEE).

Update: I stumbled across this: http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/recommended-systems

...which had this line: " Use USB port next to the center one."  Unbelievably, that cleared things up (mostly).  My Wyrd arrived afterwards, but it's hard to know whether it's helping or not.

Finally, I followed the advice in the above link to disable lots of services, et al., on the Mac Mini and things are sounding great now (well, no more glitchy sounds).

Amazing... I would never have guessed that USB was that problematic with a Mac Mini.

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #26 of 123
Does this thing still make that clicking sound when switching between sample rates?

I'd listen to music at 192/24 and let's say I'd go to youtube to watch a video it would click and a delay for about a second or so.  This happened with every website and video I played.  It didn't matter if I switched the sample at 16/44, it did this every single time.  I ended up returning it for that reason alone.  Otherwise, it sounded absolutely fantastic and one of the best I'd ever heard.

I'd like to give this a try again if that issue has been resolved.

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #27 of 123
  Does this thing still make that clicking sound when switching between sample rates?

I'd listen to music at 192/24 and let's say I'd go to youtube to watch a video it would click and a delay for about a second or so.  This happened with every website and video I played.  It didn't matter if I switched the sample at 16/44, it did this every single time.  I ended up returning it for that reason alone.  Otherwise, it sounded absolutely fantastic and one of the best I'd ever heard.

I'd like to give this a try again if that issue has been resolved.

The clicking is still there (and always will be): for NAD this is a *feature* of using a reed relay, which supposedly yields a lower output impedance.

You know, you can solve these problems by going into the sound control panel (or Audio MIDI for Mac) and forcing everything to 16/48, which will cover all music and video without any sample rate switching.  For me, the occasional click on sample rate switch doesn't bother me.

And, I agree with you: the sound is fantastic.

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #29 of 123
Feb 28, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #30 of 123
I'm going to use this dac with HE500. The cans are on the way. So i hope it wasn't a bad idea, and the talents of NAD's device will be enought to pump em well.
One of the headfiers said via PM that the output power of the built in amp is 1w. At the same time came the response to my inquiry from NAD support team. where his words were confirmed. It's a promising start.
-Neither full disaster, nor superb combo. d1050 gives just a taste of planars, without full bodied bass. Its there, but not powerful enough. Sub bass transforms into an air phantom, without impact. So HE cans can do much better if they drived properly.
-Often volume knob was pushet at 12 o'clock to reach of desirable level.
-Also i found this tandem is a little to bright for me, but think its fault of the silver stock HE cable.

Sorrry, NAD, no planars for you :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back