NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Aug 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #421 of 1,623
Quote:
First things first. What is the issue with a firmware update? I performed this with my first unit as it had a remote issue. It's very simple and the NAD support is awesome.
Second.
The claim about getting updates only at the dealer were from a UK NAD rep. Direct criticism towards him if it's untrue, not members in this forum.  If you are able to update it yourself, please provide details to others.
I simply can't use LiTunes with this DAC, or with anything else for that matter, except an IPOD. Library issues and all. Playing through JRiver though is great and using the HDMI I2S bus through my Oppo BDP95 then to Allnic pre, it's awesome.
I thought I read that this DAC DIDN'T have I2S. Are you confusing I2S with HDMI?

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #422 of 1,623
I purchased my NAD from Audio Advisor. Due to the problem I experienced with the remote, they sent me the firmware file and I performed the update. Anyone who'd performed this function via computers or just about any other piece of hardware would feel comfortable performing this duty with the NAD if of course the dealer of NAD authorizes it. My understanding though is that it was a minor "glitch" having to do with the MAC. We were hopeful it would wake up the remote receiver. It didn't thus my second M51.

I2S:

I confirmed this with NAD engineers and with Oppo. They are sending I2S through HDMI. It is an "I2S bus". This is the information I received. Listening between the HDMI input VS the USB input, no contest. HDMI is far superior in my system. I wish this wasn't true. Why?

Using HDMI, it forces me to use the Oppo's interface which is very simple think. The Oppo see's the hard drive and lists your artists or albums. You need to scroll or page through your content which is simply the "name". It sucks but it works. (iTunes should start here")

Running USB from my PC laptop and Jriver gives me the really nice Jriver interface. Really nice! And as well, logical setup and settings well documented and with a endless amount of customization. It so easily deals with your precious libraries and doesn't trash them, then lose them like...never mind. Not to mention the Jriver remote app. That's the bomb. Even my 94 year old alzheimer challenged Dad can scroll and play his music. Gotta love that.

So far with the NAD and Jriver, I don't see the "blue" box verification and, although it sounds really good, when I switch to the HDMI (I2S bus) Oppo path, it's breathtaking. Just a whole other level. We are really connecting with our music, both old and new, challenged recordings and reference, it's taking us there. If I can find a way to connect direct (maybe I am and don't know it) it might be closer.

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #423 of 1,623
Quote:
So far with the NAD and Jriver, I don't see the "blue" box verification and, although it sounds really good, when I switch to the HDMI (I2S bus) Oppo path, it's breathtaking. Just a whole other level. We are really connecting with our music, both old and new, challenged recordings and reference, it's taking us there. If I can find a way to connect direct (maybe I am and don't know it) it might be closer.

I am getting the "blue" box verification of 'Audio Path: Direct' using JRMC 17.0.182 on Win7Ult --> USB -> NAD M51.

Can confirm that the NAD M51 is a stellar performer via USB using JRMC on Win7 or FLAC Player on iPad1.

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #424 of 1,623
MichaelHiFi, thanks for the update. That information was very informative.

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #425 of 1,623
Quote:
Any sensible manufacturer I'm sure would not leave the upgrading of a sophisticated piece of equipment to the end user. 

I guess PS Audio isn't sensible or most laptop and PC makers.  Apparently NAD allowed users to upgrade in the past?!
Quote:
I've rolled many and nothing comes close.

You missed out on the PWD then it seems.  4 of us had both side by side for a day and your statement is a bit exhuberant.

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #426 of 1,623
Yeah no exuberance allowed.

This is Head-fi after all, we have our standards.

wink_face.gif

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #427 of 1,623
Quote:

I guess PS Audio isn't sensible or most laptop and PC makers.  Apparently NAD allowed users to upgrade in the past?!
You missed out on the PWD then it seems.  4 of us had both side by side for a day and your statement is a bit exhuberant.

You might be right. I think being an early adopter, I spent more time rebooting and fiddling with the interface than listening to music. It got old. I hope Paul got the software sorted out on your PW Dac to where you could sit back and enjoy.

Peace

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #428 of 1,623
Quote:
Yeah no exuberance allowed.

This is Head-fi after all, we have our standards.

wink_face.gif

Lol
___

Don't get me wrong, the NAD M51 is a great DAC and recommend it. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #433 of 1,623
I was really looking forward to reading the July edition of the M51 review in Stereophile magazine. I must say I am a little disappointed in the review Jon Iverson did of this DAC. Nowhere does he even mention that this DAC has no DSD capabilities yet it converts everything to PWM. I would think that a DAC this advanced would have some DSD capabilities. Also nowhere in his review does he mention the I2S capabilities over HDMI. He also compared this DAC with a $1200 and $2500 DAC. I can think of a lot more mainstream DACS that I would have preferred comparisons with maybe the exception of the Benchmark. I sent an EMAIL to Jon Iverson a couple days ago asking him about some of these omissions and his only comment is no DSD and he doesn't know anything about the I2S. It doesn't seem to me that this was a very thorough review and I'm hoping there will be more reviews in the near future. This DAC is on a very short list of DAC's I'm looking to purchase. I had an opportunity to listen to it at T.H.E. Show in Newport beach and am going to the Rocky Mountain Audiofest in October where I hope to hear it again and hopefull to hear some other DAC's in this price range before I make a decision. If this only supported DSD and had a front volume control I would be all over it.

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #435 of 1,623

Users who are viewing this thread

Back