Neco V4 appreciation Thread
Jul 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

dnun8086

Sponsor: Trinity Audio Engineering
Hi guys noticed there hasn't been a thread for the Neco V4 potable amplifier yet, so I thought I'd start it off. Firstly let me start off by thanking Neco for letting me review the prototype of his already existent V4.

Background I previously owned the original V4 thought it was a brilliant amp after a little time spent with it and some op amp rolling got talking to Neco, Turns out timing was perfect as he was just tweaking it and offered me a prototype sample. So for review purpose lets call this the V4.1 and I must say the tweaks have added a significant improvement to an already great sounding amp. 

The V4.1 now uses the ADA4627 op amp as standard, I have tried a variety of op amps including the famous OPA627ap, must say the ADA4627 is my personal favorite of the bunch now. 

Now lets keep this quick and sweet the sound, SPACIOUS and OPEN ! Let me expand I'll try to compare a little with the Vorzuge Pure amp ii which I also currently own. They are two different signatures entirely I would describe the Pure amp ii as smooth Intimate and detailed just such a seductive sound.The V4.1 on the other hand is open, spacious and has an ability to highlight stereo separation to new levels. Now that might sound bias but really it's preferably down to ones personal preference. I do honestly think the V4.1 has the technical ability to keep up with the Pure ii which is by all accounts an incredible amp but at twice the price is it that much better ?  

Treble on the V4.1 is subtle, detailed but very airy it gives an open sound that brings a slightly out of head feel,  took me a while to adjust but is great especially for very intimate and closed sounding headphones.

Mids are clear well presented if not slightly below the bass and treble almost a U shaped sound signature. Vocals are presented naturally with smoothness and just a tiny bite that adds a slight edge to the sound. Don't get me wrong the mids are great however it's one area in which I find myself craving the Pure ii amp back. Just personal flavor I'm easily entranced by smooth intimate mid ranges which is one area I find the Pure ii to excel.

Bass, great texture,depth and power. If you do find the amp lacking bass Neco has a very easy mod to enhance the bass ever so slightly without changing the characteristics of this beautiful piece of equipment.

I know this review isn't as in depth as I'd like it to be but feel free to ask any questions you feel have been unanswered and I'll do my best to help out. Also shoot Neco an email for any additional information his amps are available on eBay and the description is very informative.  

I've uploaded a pic of the set up (My apologies for the poor quality darn iphone). Currently the V4.1 is being ran out of my Meridian Explorer Dac which seems to have some great synergy. 

Enjoy guys looking forward to hearing some more impressions :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back