Need advice: noble K10 vs JH roxanne
Apr 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #76 of 82
I think that if one were to be given something for free in exchange for a review, and if that thing is especially expensive, it will be difficult for him to be critical and honest about the downside of that product.

Pyschologically, one will be somewhat inclined/pressured to show reciprocity back to the giver in exchange for the favor received.

I agree, I know for a fact that I couldn't. Not saying that is the case for all, as I don't believe in blanket statements very much, but I'd say more often than not it happens. Once again, not implying Kunlon or Sorensiim.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #77 of 82

I think that if one were to be given something for free in exchange for a review, and if that thing is especially expensive, it will be difficult for him to be critical and honest about the downside of that product.

Pyschologically, one will be somewhat inclined/pressured to show reciprocity back to the giver in exchange for the favor received.

For that very reason, it is standard practice for many reviewers to return items after the review (to avoid the  appearance of a potential quid pro quo)..

Then too, on this site, high prices tends to create a fog of superiority and a desire to legitimize and protect one's investment.

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #78 of 82
The several owners who have PM'd me in agreement with my take and shared my frustration would certainly disagree with 'fairly unique'. Examples either way are only anecdotal but I've heard from enough owners to know I'm not alone.

Well, several people who had issues were able to work with Future Sonics to adjust for specific ear canal resonances. Their issues are solved, so you may be more alone now. That's not to say everyone likes the mg6pro, there's no "best" earphone and the mg6pro is tuned for the stage, not for audiophiles. CN11 is an example of someone who hears the mg6pro the way that matches how I hear it and it doesn't suit his preferences. Also, my own views have evolved in 3 years with time and experience. I still like the mg6pro, but I'm enjoying the mg5pro a lot, which sounds like an upgraded Atrio with a very well controlled bass, for example.

The sad part, for my view, was that you chose not to follow through with FS because you are left with a $900 earphone you don't like rather than one you might. I, myself, only write a review after I have really gotten the real sound from it by working with the company until things sound right. I had multiple refits with FS, with Aurisonics, got the fit/sound right with my Noble ciems, etc. I think it's just part of the deal in getting a ciem that is made for your ears.

That's just my opinion.

One thing I'd like to see is for you to publish your 1-star review of the jh13fp. You found it earpiercing and unlistenable, if I recall correctly.
Now, that may be a minority view, but I think it's also worthwhile.

As for Noble and the Roxanne, I'm not sure people can really claim that either is more hyped than the other!

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #79 of 82
If I offended anyone, I do apologize, that was not my intention at all.

No offense taken for my part at least 
beerchug.gif

I was genuinely relieved when more K10 reviews started coming in (mine were the first ones ever made, unless you count the prototype that was later broken to recycle the parts) and people were hearing the same things I was. 

Regarding the topic of CIEM review samples; I believe that 70-80% of the cost of a CIEM is the hours and hours of labor that go into making them and as they are custom fit for the reviewer, returning them wouldn't change much financially for the company. I'm still very impressed by the K10 and do enjoy them daily - but I do not recommend them for everyone. Some may not like the signature but mostly it's the price. You really need to spend A LOT of time with your headphones before you consider shelling out that kind of money. Someone only spending 1-2 hours a week might be better off with something more easily enjoyable - and cheaper.

I listen for 6-8 hours a day, 5 days a week. If the K10 was stolen og smashed, I would order another set in a heartbeat. For me, they would be worth it. Divorce-inducingly expensive yes, but worth it. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #82 of 82
Well, several people who had issues were able to work with Future Sonics to adjust for specific ear canal resonances. Their issues are solved, so you may be more alone now. That's not to say everyone likes the mg6pro, there's no "best" earphone and the mg6pro is tuned for the stage, not for audiophiles. CN11 is an example of someone who hears the mg6pro the way that matches how I hear it and it doesn't suit his preferences. Also, my own views have evolved in 3 years with time and experience. I still like the mg6pro, but I'm enjoying the mg5pro a lot, which sounds like an upgraded Atrio with a very well controlled bass, for example.

The sad part, for my view, was that you chose not to follow through with FS because you are left with a $900 earphone you don't like rather than one you might. I, myself, only write a review after I have really gotten the real sound from it by working with the company until things sound right. I had multiple refits with FS, with Aurisonics, got the fit/sound right with my Noble ciems, etc. I think it's just part of the deal in getting a ciem that is made for your ears.

That's just my opinion.

One thing I'd like to see is for you to publish your 1-star review of the jh13fp. You found it earpiercing and unlistenable, if I recall correctly.
Now, that may be a minority view, but I think it's also worthwhile.

As for Noble and the Roxanne, I'm not sure people can really claim that either is more hyped than the other!

Hi Kunlun, thank you for taking interest in my reviews, my experiences and my expenditures. I find your thoughts on me interesting, albeit completely incorrect, as you would have no idea how my conversations with Future Sonics actually went; especially the part about me having "chose not to follow through with Future Sonics" and your postulation they could have adjusted tuning to correct my ear resonance issues, so I’ll take a moment to clarify.

After numerous emails, of which I’ve saved every one, David Gray, Director of Client Services of Future Sonics, assured me that FS lab techs and Marty Garcia, the company owner himself, had listened to my most recent rebuild (after sending them back 3 times) and assured me they sounded ‘spot on’ for Future Sonics audio signature. After denying a refund, which I assumed would be the case but had to ask, they offered to exchange it for the MG5pro with the caveat that I could not go back to the 6. This was my only offered and final option. I decided to decline taking a lessor, much cheaper product for the $900+ I’d already spent. Never once was any retuning offered to “adjust for specific ear canal resonances”. Perhaps this option doesn’t really exist, or is only offered to special clients of Future Sonics but not the common customer? Regardless, it was never offered to me.

I’m glad that you wait until you have gotten the “real sound” of your CIEMs before writing your reviews. That really should be standard operating procedure. For that very reason, I waited many weeks before even starting my MG6pro review. I wanted to wait and see if Future Sonics could resolve my issues first. Unfortunately they could not. Or maybe it’s would not, if custom tuning for individual ear resonances is truly an option? In any case, my last set had Marty’s stamp of approval.

Since you have no idea who any of the people are that have PM’d me about the MG6pro, you clearly cannot state that “their issues are solved, so you may be more alone now”. That would by wild speculation without any factual bearing.

I can certainly agree is there no universal ‘best’ earphone for all customers and obviously preferences play a large roll. I prefer my earphones not to sound “harsh and echoey”. I’m pretty sure stage performers would likely agree as well but one never knows.

Lastly I would like to correct you on your statement that I found the JH13fp “ear-piercing and unlistenable”. You definitely do not recall correctly. I specifically stated, about my treble issues, “It wasn’t painful or piercing to me but was very annoying and negatively affected treble timbre”. I also went on to say, “otherwise I loved everything else about the JH13, especially the fun bass, as well as resolution and imaging”. The JH13 is fine CIEM with exceptional imaging IMO, unfortunately the treble was a deal killer for me. Luckily it can be resold and reshelled, unlike the MG6pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back