need advice on a headphone mod
Mar 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ptruslow

Head-Fier
does anyone know of any deep, about 1-1.25 inch on the inside, ear pads. i will be modding my v-moda crossfade lp, as the pads simply are not deep enough for me. they cause discomfort after about 20 minutes of use. they need to be about 3 7/8 inches tall and 2 3/4 wide oval or hexagonal pads. the grill on the driver is convex, so the deeper they are, the better. i will post pictures when the modding begins. softness is nice, but the depth is the big thing.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 15
Tissue paper? LOL

Felt is worth a try.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 15
i have tried putting things behind the pads, with little effect. i did this on my turtle beeches and it worked for them, but not for there. i want to replace the pads themselves.

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #6 of 15
*bump

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 15
How much are you adding to the v-moda?

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #8 of 15
i need a good 1/4 inch more space. i would add the pads from the sony xb500's but i cannot buy the pads alone, i think i will re-manufacture the the part that holds the stock pads on and then attatch the pads on to that with a spacer. that would give me a small change in the appearance when i do it but it will do what i need

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #9 of 15
1/4" is a hell of a lot for earpads.  Are you sure that Sony won't sell a pair of XB500 earpads to you?

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/viewItemDetail.do?operation=getItemDetail&itemID=681138&category=6&categoryName=Headphone
This link should give you XB500 earpads for about $25 direct from Sony. I've got these headphones with the exact same problem! kinda frustrating.

i think what i will do is make a replica of the piece that clips into the headphones and then glue the earpads on that. that should give me just enough room. one thing i recommend that helped me quite a bit is cutting up a lens cloth or microfiber cloth such as the one that came with the headphones, and putting that in the ear pads, it is much softer than the fabric on there stock.

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 15
well i am upgrading to the audio technica m50 but i did find a mod that has helped me. i pulled some thin open cell foam from the driver covers on a pair of turtle beach x1 headphones. i removed the pads from the headphones and placed this open cell foam beneath the driver covers. this fixed the problem for me and i can comfortably wear them for about 2 hours. another thing i did before i found this was place a piece of lenscloth over the existing driver cover and tuck the edges under the pads. both increase the comfort if the driver covers touching them causes discomfort. i will post a picture when i get home but for now this is all the details i can really give you.

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #15 of 15
I know this is a resurrection of an old thread but seemed worth while.    I ran into the same issue and my "quick" fix was to take the entire pads off a set of broken turtle beach x11's and sew in a thread around the back part of the pad that actually attaches to the headphone.  I slipped them over the v-moda's existing pad and then pulled the thread tight and tied it off.

This actually doubled the depth of the padding and completely changed the sound of the headphones themselves.  They opened up and went to a very enjoyable sounding place.

On a side note I've ordered the XL pads to try them as well as also some new turtle beach pads since the replacement pads are only 1.95 each...I'm happy with the outcome of this mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back