Need help guys
Dec 30, 2019 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aldy Auditore

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, im new here, i need help about my setup, i just recently bought a fiio m11, and im pairing my dap with a shure 535ltd and a custom silver 4.4mm cable, it sounds great, but it lack of bass, what should i upgrade or add to my setup guys? thanks for your help

Dec 30, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 6
The 535s have a very flat frequency response with minimal pinna gain in the 2-4kHz region and a flat bass.
That is a rather unusual response, more common is a lift towards sub bass and a lift at 2-4kHz.
This will give you more clarity and bass, sound much livlier but you should be aware that it is quite different.

Depending on your budget I'd throw in the Sony XBA-N3 which has a smooth, controlled yet detailed mid-treble and a bass that is a bit stronger than neutral but high quality and not on bass head level. (I heard the N3 8 months ago several times, liked it)

A cheaper, more neutral yet also a little brighter option would be the Tin Hifi T4, but I am purely basing this on Crinacle's review, I never heard it.

The JVC FDX1 from Drop is also interesting, smooth and tunable with the 3 included nozzles, from quite bright with the empty nozzle to slightly brigth but smoth neutral with a tasteful, natural mid bass and slightly boosted sub bass. Very good with vocals, very nicely extended but smooth treble. I have the (almost identical) JVC FD02 with mod for 8 months now and like it a lot.

A little cheaper and a little more neutral would be the Sony EX800ST. This one can be bought from Amazon Japan.
Very high quality bass, very natural, fast, clear and punchy. Can be boosted by taping the vent.
Overall detailed, wide stage, a little on the dry side (not that intimate and emotional). Also have this for 8 months, my reference "Studio Monitor" if I want neutral sound signature. (i.e. for Video editing)

I am sure there are many other models out there, it would be best if you could listen to some and try to find a signature that you like, then look for similar IEMs.

Dec 30, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 6
The 535s have a very flat frequency response with minimal pinna gain in the 2-4kHz region and a flat bass.
That is a rather unusual response, more common is a lift towards sub bass and a lift at 2-4kHz.
This will give you more clarity and bass, sound much livlier but you should be aware that it is quite different.

Depending on your budget I'd throw in the Sony XBA-N3 which has a smooth, controlled yet detailed mid-treble and a bass that is a bit stronger than neutral but high quality and not on bass head level. (I heard the N3 8 months ago several times, liked it)

A cheaper, more neutral yet also a little brighter option would be the Tin Hifi T4, but I am purely basing this on Crinacle's review, I never heard it.

The JVC FDX1 from Drop is also interesting, smooth and tunable with the 3 included nozzles, from quite bright with the empty nozzle to slightly brigth but smoth neutral with a tasteful, natural mid bass and slightly boosted sub bass. Very good with vocals, very nicely extended but smooth treble. I have the (almost identical) JVC FD02 with mod for 8 months now and like it a lot.

A little cheaper and a little more neutral would be the Sony EX800ST. This one can be bought from Amazon Japan.
Very high quality bass, very natural, fast, clear and punchy. Can be boosted by taping the vent.
Overall detailed, wide stage, a little on the dry side (not that intimate and emotional). Also have this for 8 months, my reference "Studio Monitor" if I want neutral sound signature. (i.e. for Video editing)

I am sure there are many other models out there, it would be best if you could listen to some and try to find a signature that you like, then look for similar IEMs.

Thanks a lot bro, im gonna do some research abot the iems that you mention above, i appreciate it

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi guys, im new here, i need help about my setup, i just recently bought a fiio m11, and im pairing my dap with a shure 535ltd and a custom silver 4.4mm cable, it sounds great, but it lack of bass, what should i upgrade or add to my setup guys? thanks for your help

Make sure the tips you use give you a tight fit. If that's not enough, sell the SE535 and get a Sennheiser IE80S.

If that's still not enough bass even if it has a tight fit in your ears, just buy speakers and a subwoofer. If you have a car, look for the sort of shop that has a decibel meter and tell them to build the biggest transmission line box for the biggest subwoofer that they can get into your trunk, and then use a 2000watt mono amplifier to drive that sub. Make sure to not crank it up with your windows closed though.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 6
A new dac/amp, cable, and IEM might help/ welcome to head fi

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 6

@Aldy Auditore,

Welcome to headfi, apologies to your wallet in advance.

Unfortunately, 535 isn't know for bass, I suggest looking into the following in no particular order if you want more natural bass response though personally, M11 doesn't have much bass (Pro or Consumer) to begin with.

iBasso IT 01
iBasso IT 01s
iBasso IT 04
Periodic Audio Carbon

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back