Need to replace HD25-1s. What compares?
Oct 5, 2017 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Entropism

100+ Head-Fier
I've had these for about 7-8 years now, and recently the audio has been cutting out randomly. Looking to replace these, hopefully around the same price or cheaper.

Listen to basically everything. Rock/Punk/Metal, Rap/Hip Hop, plus I'd use these for movies as well. They'll either be powered by my receiver, computer or my phone. No amp. Closed back is preferred but if the quality of an open back blows away anything else, I'll definitely consider it.

My only complaint with the HD25-1 was that it was uncomfortable as all hell to wear for long periods. Was just too tight on my head, no matter what I did. As far as sound goes, I really enjoyed them.

I was thinking about picking up the Philips 9500s for $50, or maybe a set of lower end Grados (80s or 125s). Any suggestions to point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 3
Ive owned a couple pairs of HD25s. - well a HD25 1-II and an Amperior to be specific.

The HD25 is hard to replace. It has such a good sound balance and portable form factor. Punchy bass and non offensive highs. Not the highest in detail retrieval and a small soundstage.

Lose connections can occur just from connector wear. I’ve fixed older connectors by just a small drop of solder. You could also order an inexpensive replacement wire. Do som testing with your existing cable. Try reverse the connectors.

For the price the Phillips would be a great addition and do a number of things better than the HD25, but won’t have that same punchy vibe.

I gifted my HD25s but I also relaxed them with my current Sony MDR-7520 (expensive but better in all aspects.

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 3
I think I fixed the connectors (for now) using a guide on Youtube. I also broke out my HyperX Clouds (Takstar Pro 80s) and sat down to listen to some music with them, and realised how good (but different) and COMFORTABLE they are.

I might screw around and pick up some cheaper chinese cans to **** around with. Maybe some Superlux 668B or 681 Evos, and play around with different styles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back