Neumann NDH 30
Apr 9, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #1,831 of 4,946
is there somewhere a very accurate frequency curve of the ndh30 headphones?

My other question is, technically (resolution, soundstage, imaging, clarity) how does it compare to a Sennheiser hd660 s2?
To answer your question, the NDH 30 has more resolution and clarity, a bigger soundstage with more depth width and height and more precise imaging. Technically it is at least a class above the 660S2. However that does not necessarily make the 660S2 the inferior headphone, just a different sound signature. The 660S2 is warmer and darker sounding, more intimate and a bit more musical, however for how ridiculously accurate the NDH 30 sounds, it still manages to sound very enjoyable and musical as well.

That’s a very interesting, and mostly very good review, much of which I can agree with. However, the thing which I find the most striking about the NDH 30 is the fact that they are so engaging – quite the opposite of what he thinks. But, to be honest, I’m not really surprised by his conclusion. He’s from Sonsrworks (or used to be there) and for them the HD650 is still the King. In other words he thinks that the 650 is a better headphone technically and is more engaging than the NDH 30. That’s where he’s coming from, so draw your own conclusions…….

I find it kinda ridiculous to think the HD 650 is technically superior, it has a nice mid-focused sound and with Sonarworks you can make it sound very flat. But technically it was always on the lower end of the scale, with higher end gear the veil tends to clean up a bit but still. As it stands the 660S2 performs quite a bit better with more resolution, a bigger soundstage, a relatively deep reaching yet tight bass. Whereas the HD 650 had minimal bass and if you forced extra dB's in the bass region it would just muddy up the lower mids and it also had that honey'd up mid-range with mediocre detail retrieval.

And then we have the NDH 30 which is technically far superior to both, at least to my ears, no comparison surely.

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #1,833 of 4,946
I find it kinda ridiculous to think the HD 650 is technically superior, it has a nice mid-focused sound and with Sonarworks you can make it sound very flat. But technically it was always on the lower end of the scale, with higher end gear the veil tends to clean up a bit but still. As it stands the 660S2 performs quite a bit better with more resolution, a bigger soundstage, a relatively deep reaching yet tight bass. Whereas the HD 650 had minimal bass and if you forced extra dB's in the bass region it would just muddy up the lower mids and it also had that honey'd up mid-range with mediocre detail retrieval.

And then we have the NDH 30 which is technically far superior to both, at least to my ears, no comparison surely.
I would agree. I'm really not sure why Sonarworks are so wedded to the HD650. Yes, it's the flattest out of the box on the market, but they're in the business of EQing, so I'm not sure why that would be so important. And I get that it was so fundamental and foundational to many of the engineers at Sonarworks, and sure it's hard to beat the Senn sixes in so many ways, but even so....... But I have to say that I didn't expect the NDH 30 to be a hit with them, or expect a review blog on it. It would be sooo hard to give it a lower objective rating than the HD650, and hell might freeze over before they rate any headphone higher than the HD650. It's kind of a shame really as I think that in general their reviews and opinions are accurate and I have in the past found them helpful.

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #1,834 of 4,946
To answer your question, the NDH 30 has more resolution and clarity, a bigger soundstage with more depth width and height and more precise imaging. Technically it is at least a class above the 660S2. However that does not necessarily make the 660S2 the inferior headphone, just a different sound signature. The 660S2 is warmer and darker sounding, more intimate and a bit more musical, however for how ridiculously accurate the NDH 30 sounds, it still manages to sound very enjoyable and musical as well.

Have you heard of the hd660s2?

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,835 of 4,946
Apr 9, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #1,836 of 4,946
with your ears.
That's why I don't ask anyone how the headphones I'm interested in sound. I listen with my own ears :wink:

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #1,837 of 4,946
Have you heard of the hd660s2?
Yes I have it right beside me lol. I just gave you technical impressions between the two headphones. :)

IMG_1910.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #1,839 of 4,946
This sort of thing is quite telling, given his like of the HD650:-

'I am delighted by the tight and deep sub-bass on the NDH 30.

Going further up, mid-bass is where I found the NDH 30 to be a bit lacking.
Tonally it’s fine, but for some reason, they manage to sound pretty anemic. To get any kind of impact from them, I occasionally find myself cranking the volume higher than I would like.'

Well, if you like the mid-bass on the HD650, then you will have to crank the volume on a headphone that has true sub-bass extension, but is flat through the mid-bass, to get the same kind of 'impact'.

Apr 9, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #1,840 of 4,946
Yes I have it right beside me lol. I just gave you technical impressions between the two headphones. :)

I've just noticed that it actually says 'Sonova Consumer Hearing' on the box, and not Sennheiser (except in the www. address). Not implying anything with that, but it's interesting that they don't say Sennheiser there. At least they're being honest!

And interesting that it does of course say 'Hi-Res' (as it does on the box of my Sony WH-1000MX4's, which are distinctly not!) on the box, whereas the NDH 30 has no such consumer oriented marketing logo.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #1,842 of 4,946
Yesterday I realized why you guys think the NDH30 is "light" when I saw specs for planar and some other higher end gear that go up the 400 grams mark. I saw a video recommending a 600g headphone, wow.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #1,843 of 4,946
Yesterday I realized why you guys think the NDH30 is "light" when I saw specs for planar and some other higher end gear that go up the 400 grams mark. I saw a video recommending a 600g headphone, wow.
And it’s sooo comfortable! That depends a lot of course on anatomy, but for me, I think it’s the most comfortable headphone I have. And that includes the two Sennheisers above which are often considered as the most comfortable ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back