Neumann NDH 30
Apr 19, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #1,951 of 4,947
Thanks for your post.

I will order when I come back from holidays, only question is whether I shall keep the k702 which performs well once corrected. Very nice stage and separation, good transients.

Anyone tried the heddphone and compared to ndh30?
I had it, it sounded very nice. Ribbon headphones or speakers for that matter, have a pretty unique sound signature.

It had very tight and low reaching bass, never really bloomed and bled into the midrange, the mid-range is where it sounded a bit odd and scooped at certain frequencies but overall rather balanced, soundstage on the Heddphone was relatively compact, smaller I’d say than the NDH 30.

The treble on the Heddphone was quite interesting. It had a certain sweetness, air and extension to it.

Sound-wise it sounded like a culmination of dynamic, orthodynamic and electrostatic drivers, I hope we’ll see more of them in the future, I also noticed they aren’t as ringy as orthodynamics so your ears aren’t fatigued as early.

Biggest problem with the Heddphone is the ergonomics and weight, it’s worse than the average Audeze LCD and even those are pushing it. They really need to shave off 200g for the next one as well as a good suspension strap to be usable for longer listening sessions.

They say the current 800S is supposed to be different than the older ones. I know those and the OG. Any chance you have heard the latest batch of 800S?

I assume you’re talking about the made in Ireland ones compared to the made in Germany ones that got done last year? My comparisons in this thread were from a made in Germany copy.

I no longer have it though, as I gave up my prized possession in favour of the NDH 30. :)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #1,952 of 4,947
Which Sennheiser headphone sound NDH 30 closer - HD650, HD660S, HD660S2? Or in other words, what the differences between?

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #1,953 of 4,947
@indigogo - I know about the dimensions and their differences .... my question is about the audible differences.

As I seee @NickedWicked own NDH 30 and HD 660S2 too.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #1,954 of 4,947
They say the current 800S is supposed to be different than the older ones. I know those and the OG. Any chance you have heard the latest batch of 800S?
No, I was not aware of a change of that kind. Today I read some comments here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/inc...center-of-excellence-in-ireland.961139/page-3
but I am not sure that there has been a real change. I"ll research more.
Anyway, the above thread is a very interesting one for all Sennheiser lovers. I learned a lot of recent Sennheiser history.

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #1,955 of 4,947
Probably best to inquire over in the HD800S thread....
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...d-read-first-post-for-summary.795365/page-520

But I believe Evshrug probably summed it up best.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/inc...llence-in-ireland.961139/page-3#post-17445308

But it may all come down to being blessed by Leprechauns. 🇮🇪
My HD800S are made assembled* in Germany but my recent HD820 are from Ireland and sounding pretty fine.
Historically, Ireland has always laminated the transducer foils for the HD 800 S. The magic in most of our headphones comes from our patented Duofol-technology
So not Leprechauns. : (

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #1,957 of 4,947
Can anyone tell me the diameter of the NDH-30 ear pad or baffle?
The pads of my pair have an outer diameter of 110~113 mm. Minimum inner diameter is about 60~62 mm (at middle height), max 75~80mm near the base, where the ear rests. Pads inner height 25mm after six months of heavy use (though still no signs of any compression/deterioration).
Removing an earpad we can measure the headphone ring that the earpad grabs. It has an outer diameter of 94 93mm and an inner of 79 80mm (where the orange colored foam starts). The recess behind the ring where the thin pad lip is inserted has a diameter of 83mm. Not compatible with Beyerdynamics, their pads are too small to easily fit on NDH 30.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #1,958 of 4,947
The pads of my pair have an outer diameter of 110~113 mm. Minimum inner diameter is about 60~62 mm (at middle height), max 75~80mm near the base, where the ear rests. Pads inner height 25mm after six months of heavy use (though still no signs of any compression/deterioration).
Removing an earpad we can measure the headphone ring that the earpad grabs. It has an outer diameter of 94mm and an inner of 79mm (where the orange colored foam starts). Not compatible with Beyerdynamics, their pads are too small to easily fit on NDH 30.
Perfect, thanks very much!

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #1,959 of 4,947
Which Sennheiser headphone sound NDH 30 closer - HD650, HD660S, HD660S2? Or in other words, what the differences between?
I have compared extensively the NDH 30 with my HD-650 (two very identical pairs of 2003 and 2021) at my first posts here (comparative measurements too, somewhere between 10th and 20th page.
The tonal balance of the NDH 30 is very close to HD-650 or HD-600. It doesn't have the slight mid-bass/higher-bass bump of the HD-650. Instead it has a very fine linear extension almost down to 20Hz.
But the NDH 30 is better in everything than those two. In brief, it has extreme resolution, very fine balance/neutrality, much better instrument separation, very life-like timbre, precise (pinpoint) soundstage, great speed, impressive bass detail, very natural and smooth treble (no artificial or hot treble). Above all it is tremendously engaging and musical. A very successful combination of accuracy with musicality and enjoyment.
I cannot comment about the HD-660S2 since I haven't listen to it. But I have no reason to doubt those who have listened extensively to both: they say that the NDH 30 is clearly superior. Maybe they can comment in detail (though they have already).

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #1,960 of 4,947
Have the phones 5 days now. Not disappointed and everything that were my initial thoughts remain. Now getting excellent sound on my Rebel with a slightly brighter dac. Extremely luscious but a few tracks still sound a bit too dull in the highs. Still finding the monoprice 887 to be the best but it really depends what you are listening to.
Btw hooked up the Neumann to my Geshelli and my drop thx 789. Good with geshelli but very disappointing with the 789 where it lacked depth and was dry and a bit grainy especially when compared to the monoprice version.
As usual the monoprice is a superior amp to drops thx.
So to sum up, the Neumann's are extremely well balanced throughout its range with excellent detail, fatigue free sound , unusually lush and inviting.

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,961 of 4,947
Have the phones 5 days now. Not disappointed and everything that were my initial thoughts remain. Now getting excellent sound on my Rebel with a slightly brighter dac. Extremely luscious but a few tracks still sound a bit too dull in the highs. Still finding the monoprice 887 to be the best but it really depends what you are listening to.
Btw hooked up the Neumann to my Geshelli and my drop thx 789. Good with geshelli but very disappointing with the 789 where it lacked depth and was dry and a bit grainy especially when compared to the monoprice version.
As usual the monoprice is a superior amp to drops thx.
So to sum up, the Neumann's are extremely well balanced throughout its range with excellent detail, fatigue free sound , unusually lush and inviting.
You can hear a difference between the 887 and the 789? wow

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #1,962 of 4,947
Revisiting some favorite tracks on the NDH30 while working today. I've never heard this song more beautifully rendered. Holy moly

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #1,963 of 4,947
You can hear a difference between the 887 and the 789? wow
Not close. 787 very dry lacks sound stage and somewhat grainy in comparison. I think most would easily notice. However the 650 works well with 789 because being dry it tames down the mid bass and the additional crispness of the amp adds a bit of sparkle to that phone. All my other phones sound inferior with 789.
Monoprice did upgrade opamps and capacitors with the 887.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #1,964 of 4,947
This sounds fantastic on ndh30. This more than most recordings shows what the ndh30 is capable of. Im using qobuz via bit perfect usb audio player pro. Streaming at around 2500 kbps.
Btw usb audio player pro app is the best 8 bucks i have ever spent on anything. The increase in overall sound quality was amazing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230420-103246_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    Screenshot_20230420-103246_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back