New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jan 20, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #2,776 of 2,819
I’ve been considering a few amps, including the GSXs, Ferrum Oor, and Violectric V550. The last two are reported to work very well the Calderas, but I haven’t heard much at all about the GSXs.
Hmm with my intuition and how almost tubish my unit sounds I’d take gsx. However I haven’t heard calderas on it. Although I love wandla, I’m not too big of a fan of oor neutrality, but if it works well it works well

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #2,777 of 2,819
Great to know snout the Oor, thanks. I’m not looking for a reference amp, so will take that off my list. Sounds like demoing both the Mini and V550 would be a smart move.

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #2,779 of 2,819
If you can demo then demo oor too definitely. Either way it’s still a great amp, just not my cup of tea
Thanks - that could be a stretch, as I can get both the the Mini and V550 used, but only see the Oor new here in the US. But down the road if/when the opportunity presents itself, certainly.

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #2,782 of 2,819
I am using my Mini with my Yggdrasil LiM, very good synergy there. That being said, I ordered a Schiit Audio Mjolnir 3 to try. I think the end game is a myth? LOL

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #2,786 of 2,819
I don't think I will sell my mini, but hoping the M3 is going to be all I have read it is.
I never compared them side by side, but I remember the mini making treble seem more sparkly and the staging being wider. This is probably just my feelings on how it sounded merging with my real memories. Now that I have the equipment to volume match and switch amps very quickly I realize that difference is always more subtle than inner thoughts want it to be.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #2,787 of 2,819
Having owned the GSX Mini, (wonderful amp), and also the MK II, I will say the MJ3 is less rounded off, has better control, a sweeter top end and better detail. It also handles complex orchestral music better.
IMO...

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #2,788 of 2,819
Having owned the GSX Mini, (wonderful amp), and also the MK II, I will say the MJ3 is less rounded off, has better control, a sweeter top end and better detail. It also handles complex orchestral music better.
IMO...
By describing “less rounded off”, did you mean the MJ3 is less balanced than the Mini? I searched google for round sound and it showed: A pleasingly balanced sound (having a pleasing mixture of high frequency to low-frequency).

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #2,789 of 2,819
By describing “less rounded off”, did you mean the MJ3 is less balanced than the Mini? I searched google for round sound and it showed: A pleasingly balanced sound (having a pleasing mixture of high frequency to low-frequency).
No. Meaning when called for, notes start and stop faster than with the Mini. Bass is tighter on the MJ3. Things are more focused.

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #2,790 of 2,819
The Mini to me sounds like a bigger Jotunheim, which I like. I'm getting more resolution in my system from the MJ3 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back