New Apple Notebooks - Optical Audio in/Out
Oct 14, 2008 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Luckyleo

Headphoneus Supremus
This was announced this morning and was surprised to see nothing about it here. Isn't this an improvement over what's currently available from Apple? Being a noob about this part of my gear I need your help to better understand. Is this news good, great, or meaningless?

Thanks

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 12
I've been curious about the in and waiting confirmation, but optical out has been around for awhile on Macs. Lots of us using it.
wink.gif

EDIT: Just ran over to Apple. Indeed digital in is in (both MacBook and Pro).

Quote:

Combined optical digital input/analog line in (minijack)
Combined optical digital output/analog line out (minijack)

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 12
Afaik none of the previous portable Mac's had digital in. But looks like the new ones introduced yesterday have, which are a nice upgrade.
Will be fun to see what it can be used for.

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 12
It's a total shame the Macbooks had their Firewire-port taken away. That's just ridiculous. Nevertheless, optical in/out is most welcome.

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a total shame the Macbooks had their Firewire-port taken away. That's just ridiculous.

Yeah, that's just ridiculous!
Apple got a lot of bad feedback when they dropped FireWire 800 on the first MacBook Pro's, resulting in them adding it back a year or so later. Hopefully they learn the same lesson this time as well.

Newer remove a feature added, unless its replaced with a totally superior (common agreement) feature.

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 12
I bet too on it re-appearing in 6 months. Seems Apple's habits of daft decisions for the initial versions of new designs continues.

Optical input - that's very interesting and will be useful for audio work.

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 12
personally from experience,,,, whenever Apple changes a casing... it has issues... hinge issues, heat issues, closure issues...etc etc. etc...

I flip my laptops 3 times a year... but I will not rush this time.... I'm sticking with what I have for now.

I would wait for a few revisions before adopting the new case...

Also why give up firewire 400 which is more common than 800?
You can get a fw 800 to 400 adapter I suppose... but I like being able to have a FW 800 drive and still be able to run a external DAC using FW 400. Likely the ports will return...

I am about to fly to Munich and I am contemplating bringing over my 30 inch cinema display (3 weeks old) to sell over there... Liely I'll sell my 2.6 ghz 17" HD macbook pro with 200 gig 7200 rpm drive while there too... but I am not sure I would buy the new laptops jsut yet.. I might just buy an older G4 powerbook (4400- $700) to use in the interium until the next revision .

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Afaik none of the previous portable Mac's had digital in. But looks like the new ones introduced yesterday have, which are a nice upgrade.
Will be fun to see what it can be used for.

All the portables have had digital input and output since the MacBook on the lowend and since the Jan 05 15" PowerBooks on the high end.

--Chris

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All the portables have had digital input and output since the MacBook on the lowend and since the Jan 05 15" PowerBooks on the high end.

--Chris

Ok, guessed I have missed out on something.
tongue.gif

Cause I have only thought they have had combined analog/digital output, and just analog input.

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 12
the in AND out on the Mac mini is combo analog/optical and have been since its release...FYI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back