New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Mar 1, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #4,771 of 5,077
MQA only works directly in the deskrop windows/Mac version. Not implemented in mobile apps. It works only under UAPP with DF RED. Same issue with Spotify app (no support for direct DAC output).

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #4,772 of 5,077
Hgpardo, could you please clarify as to how you are getting sound from usb and DFR when playing videos on YouTube app? Which settings need to be checked in on order to route audio to the USB.

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #4,773 of 5,077
Just upgrade firmware of DF RED with the desktop app to version 1.07 here: https://www.audioquest.com/page/aq-digitalupdates.html

I hear YouTube videos with my Samsung S7 and DFR without problems. Volume setting using Android multimedia buttons with my phone. If you have UAPP or HiBy as default app to use DF RED you have to reset it in Android App settings. Otherwise the app drivers do not let Android sound work.

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #4,774 of 5,077
Just upgrade firmware of DF RED with the desktop app to version 1.07 here: https://www.audioquest.com/page/aq-digitalupdates.html

I hear YouTube videos with my Samsung S7 and DFR without problems. Volume setting using Android multimedia buttons with my phone. If you have UAPP or HiBy as default app to use DF RED you have to reset it in Android App settings. Otherwise the app drivers do not let Android sound work.

Thanks, finally was able to get it working. I had no idea how to get sound in YT app. My DFR came w 1.07, so no problems there.

Mar 5, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #4,775 of 5,077
DF Owners;

Do you have/use the Jitterbug, and if so, do you also use it with your desktop setup?

It seems like snake oil. But every reviewer goes into it saying it seems bs and then can’t stop using it. Hmmm.

Mar 5, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #4,776 of 5,077
Also, is there an OTG cable that I can connect DFR to Android while charging the phone?

All I need is a USB c cable with otg and charge in the same time , exists?

Looks like the audioquest dragontail is what you are looking for, can anyone confirm that it can charge while using a dragonfly ?
For now I'm using an USB c hub to plug my red but it's too big. I'm also looking for that kind of cable. The dragontail looks solid but it cost 20 € here. I just left my iPhone 6s plus for a brand new OnePlus 6t and using the dragonfly red with it is a pain compared to iOS...

Edit : sorry I checked it twice and no the dragontail can't charge ...

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #4,777 of 5,077
DF Owners;

Do you have/use the Jitterbug, and if so, do you also use it with your desktop setup?

It seems like snake oil. But every reviewer goes into it saying it seems bs and then can’t stop using it. Hmmm.

No JBug here. Would love to try one, or a pair, to see if it makes any difference. But its 50$ a pop. They sell knock off USB filters online for 10$, wonder if they are any good. Compared to other similar devices, DFR is worth every penny of its price. Wonder if same can be said about JBUg.
Ive seen some DFR+JBug deals on ebay, cheaper than buying both new. Can score a good deal, if you win the bidding war.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #4,778 of 5,077
I have a Dragonfly Red, playing music through Tidal Music using both my iPhone 8plus and desktop, with Audio Technica ath-m50x headphones. There is lots of gain/volume available with DFR through the PC and Tidal app but significantly less when attached to my iPhone. (volume indicator is at about 1/2 to 3/4 for satisfactory volume) Switching to the Apple dongle, there does not appear much if any gain/volume difference between it and the DFR. I also recently bought some Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 (ohms) headphones. To get a satisfactorily ample volume using the DFR and the DT770s on my iPhone, the volume indicator needs to be 3/4 and above. I was under the belief that the DFR had a built in "amp" which should easily drive the DT770s. I like the sound of the DT770s but will probably be returning them, as I use my iPhone more than my PC. (under many musical situations, I actually prefer the 50x, plus the DT770s long cord is a bit of an irritant) Any explanation as to why, even using the DFR, the gain/volume on the phone is seemingly so lacking?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #4,779 of 5,077
Jitterbug good.
Dragontail with usb c, even better.
But if you think it's snake oil, it is.

I find the Jitterbug drops the noise floor, while the dragontail widens the stage. Both improve dynamics :)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #4,780 of 5,077
Help!

My new Samsung Galaxy s10+ crashes and shuts down the moment I connect the Dragonfly Red.

I was running Android 9 as well on my old s9+, never had a problem.

Using UAPP, but it also crashes when I have UAPP deinstalled.

Anyone have an idea? Thanks!

Mar 9, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #4,781 of 5,077
I have a Dragonfly Black (recently purchased for mobile iOS device use) that appears to be VERY sensitive to static electricity. If I walk on a rug at all, or even sit on chair on a rug, the Dragonfly appears to reset (turns off and the light cycles through a few colors) when I touch the device directly, or even if I just touch the cable on my headphones. No shock is actually felt when this happens. I've been dealing with it by constantly discharging by touching some metal near me. Out of curiosity I tested this with my older Dragonfly 1.2 model, and no matter how much static charge I generate, it doesn't seem to behave the same way. I'm not sure if this is due to something that changed on the 1.5 model, vs the 1.2, or if I possibly have a faulty 1.5 model. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #4,783 of 5,077
supposed to be funny?

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #4,785 of 5,077
To the attention of Apple iPhone and IPad owners:
From Today if you update the TIDAL IOS app you can play now the TIDAL Masters tracks and albums reaching plenty of High - Res music!
It is a great step forward towards high quality music listening on the go, which was not typical at Apple...
Masters quality is shown with a capital letter M, provided you have a HIFI subscription and you have chosen Master quality clicking the quality sign (HIFI in blue color or Master in yellow color).
You should adjust the download quality as well in the Menu. If you already downloaded a Master album first remove it from your device, and after adjusting the download quality to Master you should download that album again to enjoy Master quality from your iPhone or iPad.
My question:
Anyone tried the new TIDAL app on IOS devices with an AQ DRF Red or Black connected with a camera adapter?
Does it work?
Does it make the second unfold of MQA file (rendering) showing a purple dragonfly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back