New ES9039MSPRO DAC: SMSL VMV D1se2 ES9039MSPRO MQA-CD Bluetooth DAC With Remote Control
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #16 of 30
Well all have our druthers ergo, we are all on the money for us! It is like me, I hate MQA so I do NOT buy any thing that has it. But there are plenty of choices for me. I agree with both of you that speaking out on what we like and loathe is paramount to making not only our desires know to manufacturers know but also our genuine needs.

Well said @nioh and you!

Since ESS chips now have MQA decoding built in does that mean you boycott any new ESS based DAC ? You hate MQA that much ? You can use these DACs without using MQA

Mar 28, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #17 of 30
Yes. Because even if I never use MQA I still had to pay the idiot that created it. That ain't gonna happen if I can help it, LOL! I tested MQA at a T.H.E. a few years back. I heard no difference in the music and I was controlling when it changed back and for and had no idea what was playing because I never looked at the device prior to starting the music. It is a farce and a disgusting money-grab for Blob Stewfart to pad his retirement.

Royalties for ever. FTN!

Would you want to pay for something you never used? I doubt it.

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #18 of 30
Yes. Because even if I never use MQA I still had to pay the idiot that created it. That ain't gonna happen if I can help it, LOL! I tested MQA at a T.H.E. a few years back. I heard no difference in the music and I was controlling when it changed back and for and had no idea what was playing because I never looked at the device prior to starting the music. It is a farce and a disgusting money-grab for Blob Stewfart to pad his retirement.

Royalties for ever. FTN!

Would you want to pay for something you never used? I doubt it.

Hmm well tbh quite a lot of electronics have some functionality I don’t use and sometimes the tech is indeed licensed from other companies- in hi fi Dolby Labs is a good example- I mean before Dolby C and S came around I thought Dolby noise reduction on consumer tape cassette units was crap and I never used it when making my own recordings but I had to buy tape decks that included it and I believe the manufacturer of those decks had to pay Dolby Labs a licence fee - seems similar to how you feel about MQA

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #19 of 30
Hmm well tbh quite a lot of electronics have some functionality I don’t use and sometimes the tech is indeed licensed from other companies- in hi fi Dolby Labs is a good example- I mean before Dolby C and S came around I thought Dolby noise reduction on consumer tape cassette units was crap and I never used it when making my own recordings but I had to buy tape decks that included it and I believe the manufacturer of those decks had to pay Dolby Labs a licence fee - seems similar to how you feel about MQA
Yes but near as I recall, Dolby was actually doing something (e.g. actual reduction of "tape hiss") while MQA (and its fetid creator Darth Blob) is merely taking something. Money for nothing and your dues his fee? :beerchug:
He wants his crap every where and demands payment. **** him for the canard spewing shillster he is. :ksc75smile:
MQA is the Emperor's New Clothes.

In all ways and for always be well, my friend.

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #20 of 30
What SMSL amp would be best to pair with this? What's the difference between this and the D400ES?

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #22 of 30
i was able to play around with the d1se for a week , i like the dac and i wonder how this d1se 2 compare to the sound signature of the first one .

Jul 16, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #25 of 30
Jan 7, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #27 of 30
I picked one up for a good price last week. Haven’t had a chance to really get a feel for it. I’m pretty impressed and find it’s a good compliment to my bifrost 2/64.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #28 of 30
This one is surprisingly good. It's hard for me to liking these chifi chip based dac, but among them I think VMV D1se 2 has one of the best implementation. I like it even more than their D400 siblings (EX and EX). Compared to typical fiio/topping/other smsl dac in this price range, d1se 2 produce more natural and fuller tone, with better depth perception.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #29 of 30
I’ve found the d1se2 to be a better match with the violectric v222 than the Bifrost 2/64. Both the B2/64 and v222 are a bit forward. The combo can be a little abrasive. The d1se2 (tube 3 filter) and v222 combo sounds more natural and smooth. I’d say the d1se2 and Bifrost 2/64 are of a similar class of DAC.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #30 of 30
I just bought a SMSL D1se2 and when I take a look into it's menu I see under the PCM filter option a "No Filter" setting.
Since this is a Delta/Sigma DAC it can't operate in "NOS mode" by design.
So what's the deal with this setting ?
Any idea ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back