New from Weiss - the DAC 204 IN STOCK A TTVJAudio.com
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #226 of 236
I just ordered a Weiss Dac 205 for cheaper price than 204. Beside I have already had a USB reclocker and Matrix X-Spidf 3 as a DDC and do not hear DSD so I do not want to spend more money on Weis Dac 204. After more than half of a year I jump on Weiss dac ship finally. Will write impressions after hearing and comparing to Schiit Gunnir Multibit dac. Hopefully this a magic box like Steve Huff's review.
BTW I was informed the graphs above are from Weiss so you can expect the 205 to sound the same as the 204. You may want to try your 205 with and without your reclocker/DDC as I have one too and the 204 sounds better without a DDC at least in my system.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #227 of 236
BTW I was informed the graphs above are from Weiss so you can expect the 205 to sound the same as the 204. You may want to try your 205 with and without your reclocker/DDC as I have one too and the 204 sounds better without a DDC at least in my system.
I would think so, since the 204 has a DDC already, it will completely re clock and reprocess the digital signal from any DDC... Not sure chaining DDC's provide any benefits.
It's a fantastic product, and it allows me to run more DACs and easily switch between them.

Feb 28, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #228 of 236
I just ordered a Weiss Dac 205 for cheaper price than 204. Beside I have already had a USB reclocker and Matrix X-Spidf 3 as a DDC and do not hear DSD so I do not want to spend more money on Weis Dac 204. After more than half of a year I jump on Weiss dac ship finally. Will write impressions after hearing and comparing to Schiit Gunnir Multibit dac. Hopefully this a magic box like Steve Huff's review.
I’m using 205 with farad super 3 9v & su6 ddc. I tried stock smps in the first month to get used to the sound & then I introduced the LPS. Improvement was easily audible. 205 pairs very well with my tube hp setup. I’m using DIY upocc silver RCA interconnects & coxial cable from Neotech. No harshness, thinness, digitus etc.

Feb 28, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #229 of 236
I’m using 205 with farad super 3 9v & su6 ddc. I tried stock smps in the first month to get used to the sound & then I introduced the LPS. Improvement was easily audible. 205 pairs very well with my tube hp setup. I’m using DIY upocc silver RCA interconnects & coxial cable from Neotech. No harshness, thinness, digitus etc.
I'll try that when I can stretch it. For now I'm using a 9v Studer 900 design from AliExpress. It's surprisingly good for €100, definitely better that the stock SMPS.

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #230 of 236
I just took my Weiss 205 to home and listening to it for more than 30 minutes now and I am happy to say this Weiss dac beats my Schiit Gunnuir Multibit a mile away. Everything is enhanced to one or two levels. Of course still shocking that this is using with the switch power unit come with the dac only. Can not imagine with good to great linear power supply this dac may have more potential. So Weiss 204/205 really are the bargain magic boxes like other reviewers stated. Look at the Wandla now I have to laugh at because the rip off Wandla by selling the software update for money.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #231 of 236
I just took my Weiss 205 to home and listening to it for more than 30 minutes now and I am happy to say this Weiss dac beats my Schiit Gunnuir Multibit a mile away. Everything is enhanced to one or two levels. Of course still shocking that this is using with the switch power unit come with the dac only. Can not imagine with good to great linear power supply this dac may have more potential. So Weiss 204/205 really are the bargain magic boxes like other reviewers stated. Look at the Wandla now I have to laugh at because the rip off Wandla by selling the software update for money.
Yes it is amazingly good even with the stock smps. Steve Huff's review was done using it. And, yes, a good LPS will kick it up another notch. It also opens more as it burns in after a couple hundred hours. They're not pretty but these Weiss products sure do sound unbelievable.

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #232 of 236
Today is near a week I put my Weiss 205 into my audio system chain. The ESS chip in Weiss DACs implementations are not like other ESS DACs from other companies which I heard. These are transparent, precise, crisp, musical, soundstage expansion, accuracy, details compare to Schiit. Now my Schiit Gunnir Multibit looks like crap (just kidding). My main headphone is Sennheiser HD650 with ZMF leather pad and the more I upgrade the system the better it sounds. Can not imagine how beautiful the flagship Helios from Weiss sounds like. Must be wonderful.

I think my audio system can still be improved by audiophile cables (still using cheap USB, power and XLR cables), power isolation, linear power supplies for my music server, ddc and Weiss dac 205.

These Weiss Dacs are high quality sound products. They should have been known more.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #233 of 236
Today is near a week I put my Weiss 205 into my audio system chain. The ESS chip in Weiss DACs implementations are not like other ESS DACs from other companies which I heard. These are transparent, precise, crisp, musical, soundstage expansion, accuracy, details compare to Schiit. Now my Schiit Gunnir Multibit looks like crap (just kidding). My main headphone is Sennheiser HD650 with ZMF leather pad and the more I upgrade the system the better it sounds. Can not imagine how beautiful the flagship Helios from Weiss sounds like. Must be wonderful.

I think my audio system can still be improved by audiophile cables (still using cheap USB, power and XLR cables), power isolation, linear power supplies for my music server, ddc and Weiss dac 205.

These Weiss Dacs are high quality sound products. They should have been known more.
I have Weiss 204 Dac.I have had many DACs and a few more expensive than the Weiss .This is by far the best Dac I have owned and certainly the most musical .

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #234 of 236
I just received my new DAC204. I listened to it after only an hour of warm up with the stock PS. The Weiss sounded really nice, encompassing loads of space, texture, image density and shocking clarity even compared to my reference DACs. The only down side on this first audition was some gain that can be easily attributed to being turned on for only an hour, and of course, not broken in.

I have a Plixir Elite BDC 9v 4A and their Statement DC cable in box, awaiting companionship with the Weiss. Why did I go with a 9v 4A, because of advice from both James Soh at Plixir and Daniel Weiss, (see quotes below) regarding sound quality recommendations for voltage and amperage matching to the DAC 204.

Daniel Weiss, “I suggest you get a 9V supply which can supply up to 1.5A”
James Soh, “ The 9v 4amp PS will sound better than the 9v 2amp unit for your application”

Even though I’ve gone through the break in process with dozens of DACs and always heard the benefit, I don’t have the patience to wait the DAC204 to fully break before installing the Plixir. I plan to give to the DAC a few days to settle in, and then install the Plixir.

I had modest expectations for the Pixar power supply, I wasn’t really prepared for a transformational event. I installed the power supply today and let it warm up for six hours before I sat down to listen. At first listen I thought, ah, oh, the music has slowed down and it’s not as exciting, but I missed what had really occurred. After a few minutes, I realized that what actually changed was, all grunge and grain had completely vanished. There was no real loss of high frequencies but, the sense of authority massively ramped up. It like my small monitors just grew a pair from a injection of sonic testosterone. I hear all the qualities I heard earlier, but with big changes, all in the right direction. The power supply provided more life to the music with added image density. As I listen, I can now pear around the sound stage corners, and behind instruments, with far more natural harmonic decay. The Plixir addition also has created an almost eerie quietness. It sounded detailed and dimensional with stock the PS, but now there is a more luminous, almost luscious quality to the music. The Plixir brought a seismic lift in swagger, ease, refinement, musical communication, and an uncontrollable foot tapping issue. Not only is the music line dramatically more understandable but the DAC now has a machismo similar to my old Theta GEN5a. The Plixir added more dynamics, but simultaneously, my HiFi is now way more relaxing to listen to. I can’t imagine any Weiss 204 owner, not being completely blown away after installing the Plixir. Buy this power supply. I’m not overstating, that the DAC204 sounds twice as good with the Plixir and without an upgraded PS you’re running on three cylinders, and not hearing the what the DAC204 is actually capable of. I also have the Plixir Statement umbilical DC cable installed. I’m not sure how much it is contributing, but for $180 it’s a probably a good idea to purchase. I’m sure things will just get even better after a fuse upgrade and a few weeks of break in. I purchased the PS directly from Plixir and had several emails with James who was very helpful.

A bit more detail on the DC plug, ideally is a Switchcraft 760K type. Or one with a 2.5mm center hole and 5.5mm pin diameter. And a shaft length of about 9.5mm
The tip is positive.
I wanted to know if you still have the Weiss 204 and plixir power supply. Are you still enjoying it? Do you also plug into power conditioning unit or just wall socket? Also do you think the new plixir statement supply will be a step up from elite?. I feel it’s a lot more money. Thank you for your time

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #235 of 236
I wanted to know if you still have the Weiss 204 and plixir power supply. Are you still enjoying it? Do you also plug into power conditioning unit or just wall socket? Also do you think the new plixir statement supply will be a step up from elite?. I feel it’s a lot more money. Thank you for your time
Yes I still have the 204 dac and the Plixir power supply ,still love them and I can't believe that the statement upgrade would be worth it ,hope you are enjoying yours

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #236 of 236
They are compatible, at least, when the Weiss has an upgraded ps. Now, that being said, I will compare the two side by side after the Weiss is fully run in. I will have a better idea in few weeks.
Hi
Were you able to compare dac 200 vs weiss/plixir elite LPS ?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back