New headphones Recommendations
May 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dvalent

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and thought id ask the experts..
I'm looking to buy new headphones around the range between 100-200£  (150 - 300 dollars)
I was really close to settle for the the Sennheiser 598 until I realized id probably use them other than home (office, library etc) so now im lost..

So far I've been looking at:

Sennheiser 598 (punchy bass) but open
Sennheiser 598 (which i love the look) but open
Audio Technica M50
[size=1.7em] Beyerdynamic DT990 (too bulky)[/size]
[size=1.7em] denon dn hp700[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
[size=1.7em] As i said ill probably use them in public spaces, are the open sennheiser a bad choice? [/size]
[size=1.7em] The music ranges from  electronica (mostly) - blues - jazz - rock [/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
[size=1.7em] Any suggestions?[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
[size=1.7em] D.[/size]

May 31, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 11
Hey mate,

I'm pretty new to the forums too (seeking advice, myself) but I own a pair of M50's and have been researching other models for an upgrade, including the DT 990's, so I can offer a few comments (others with more knowledge will have to correct me if I'm giving dud advice).

I've never actually owned a pair of open headphones but, while I'm not sure of the extent, they obviously leak noise (in and out). I'd suggest that a closed pair of headphones would be more suitable for your intended use. In case you're not aware of the main differences in sound quality between open and closed, here's an excerpt from a blog written by someone who knows more about it than me :p:

Quote:
Open headphones sound more ‘natural’ than closed models. Generally an open model will have much better soundstage (the ‘width and depth’ of sound), more natural bass (tighter and faster) and better separation (how well individual sounds/instruments/details are defined).
Closed headphones on the other hand tend to have a more ‘boxed in’ sound to them (where it sounds like the music is coming from inside your head) and boomier, more resonant (slower) sounding bass. Often this leads to closed headphones sounding bassier, but if you listen closely it’s normally just because the bass is stopping and starting slower, and less accurately, than it would on an open model. This is why using the term “better” can be very subjective. You might consider slow, boomy overpowering bass to be “better” than well defined and clear bass

Source: http://headphones.com.au/blog/open-vs-closed-headphones

Personally, I want the best sound (particularly soundstage) I can buy within my budget, so I'm going for a pair of open cans. I'll only be using them at home as I tend to use canalphones (CX300's) if traveling. You may like to consider this approach but I'll presume you want one pair for private/public use.

The M50's seem very well regarded as entry level headphones. A lot of people really enjoy them and suggest they're good for the price. They were the first pair of semi-decent headphones I've owned and I enjoyed them too. In fact, I'd probably say they gave me a 'taste' for higher-fidelity audio and have motivated me to search for more. I've had mine for 10 months and I now find myself dissatisfied with their soundstage and also their bass. I would basically agree with the quote I've added, above, for my current experience with M50's. So I basically say that as a warning about what you may find lacking in the M50's. I'll leave it to others to offer their praises and perhaps some more objective descriptions of those headphones.

The only other headphones you've listed which I know, or have read, anything about are the DT 990's. If you were considering the DT 990's, you may want to check out the DT 770's instead. The 990's are open while the the 770's are closed. I've read a lot of good things about both of these models. Apparently the 770's have a very good soundstage for closed headphones (and tighter bass than the M50's?) - so I would suggest taking a good look at those.

Edit: Also wanted to mention that the M50's are quite tight and not particularly comfortable. Obviously you can weaken the clamping force a bit but, if you plan on listening for extended periods, the tightness is worth consideration.

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 11
Ok, I love the HD598 but in public places, not really.

For your genres I would recommend:
Ultrasone Pro750
DT770
Sennheiser HD25-1 II (or Amperior)
Sennheiser Momentum

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the quick response guys, 

So ive been doing some more research and ive left the open sets aside 
frown.gif
 (i really liked the senns 598) 
Ive also looked at the DT770 and placed them aside for the time being. 

Im pleased with the review of the M50's and since is my first pair of respectable headphones im considering them as a good choice. 

Ive got a new contender at the moment and are the sony MDR1R ive also looked at the Momentum and immediately fell in love with them although on the pricey side. i really like the leather look and feel 

any thoughts? 

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 11
Jun 1, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response guys, 

So ive been doing some more research and ive left the open sets aside 
frown.gif
 (i really liked the senns 598) 
Ive also looked at the DT770 and placed them aside for the time being. 

Im pleased with the review of the M50's and since is my first pair of respectable headphones im considering them as a good choice. 

Ive got a new contender at the moment and are the sony MDR1R ive also looked at the Momentum and immediately fell in love with them although on the pricey side. i really like the leather look and feel 

any thoughts? 

Sony MDR1R is a very good choice. I auditioned them and was very impressed. M50's I have never heard yet.

If you can try to listen to the PSB M4U2-1 for $299 an absolutely amazing headphone. 

Momentums are top notch, you can't go wrong with any of the three. 

My advice, listen to your gut feeling and go for one, listen for a few months. Having a headphone is always better than debating about them. :wink: and in the end, comparing specs and opinions doesn't help. I have headphones that others would ridicule but I really like to listen to them....

Cheers,
K

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 11
Back again, 

i just came back from trying the Momentums and although i really liked the design and are incredibly light, the audition didn't blow me away, might have been a number of things, crowded shop and no amp) and altogether is not the type of sound im looking for, and i feel more lost than before i really hoped id love them; so at the moment my semi finalist are :

Senn - Momentum (will give another chance)
Sony MDR 1R
Audio Technica ATH-M50
V moda Crosfade M80

The price range of these is quite similiar so ill stick to it for the time being, 

opinions?

D.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 11
Take a look at the V-MODA M-100. Greats set of closed back cans. Similar to the Momentum in price though I prefer them to the Momentum. They have a nice punchy bass that to me, the Momentum lacks.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 11
Sony MDR1R is a very good choice. I auditioned them and was very impressed. M50's I have never heard yet.

If you can try to listen to the PSB M4U2-1 for $299 an absolutely amazing headphone. 

Momentums are top notch, you can't go wrong with any of the three. 

My advice, listen to your gut feeling and go for one, listen for a few months. Having a headphone is always better than debating about them. :wink: and in the end, comparing specs and opinions doesn't help. I have headphones that others would ridicule but I really like to listen to them....

Cheers,
K

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 11
Would agree with pulling the trigger...you can always get another pair later. :wink:

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 11
 There are no "experts" here, only people with opinions and personal preferences. 

ATH-50's are a bit too heavy to be used as portables. Are you planning on using a headphone amp? If not, you'll want headphones that don't need one. Also, when you say dissatisfied with the bass do you mean too much bass or too little?

I just got a pair of the new Marshall Monitors; great separation and soundstage, great isolation so nobody hears what you're listening to, and less bass than the ATH M50's. I also recommend the V-Moda M80's (NOT the 100's). The Marshalls have the better soundstage but the M80's have sensational mids, yes they're pushed a bit but very musical sounding. The bass can also be perceived as a bit light in the M-80's, which is probably the reason the bass got boosted in the M100's. The isolation in the M-80's is not the best as well. The Marshall Major FX 50's are my all time favorite portable headphones, but you'd probably hate them because they have pushed mids, pushed bass, and below average isolation. Spectacular listening experience though. Sennheiser HD 25's-stay away from them. Horrible isolation/leakage, weak without a headphone amp, sound like weak toys compared to the headphones I just mentioned. Sennheiser Momentums I'd put just a step ahead of the HD 25's, just a boring listening experience for me. 

The MDR-1's are ok, but donuts-(hole in the mids) with the intention of sounding warm, but the bass is pretty fluffy to my ears, not enough definition. If you didn't like the ATH M50 bass, you'll absolutely hate the MDR1's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back