New headphones v upgrade equipment
Feb 26, 2015 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

thecrow

Headphoneus Supremus
A question without notice, to the floor

I have recently bought a pair of hd800s I'm very much enjoying.
These just beat out the he560s in my selections.

The hd800s won due to soundstage and a lively mid/upper end.
The timbre of the he560s is also something that stood out for me with their upper mids presence.

The hd800s is as analytical as I like my headphones to be - which I do and hence my first choice.
The he560s is at the other end (for me) when enjoying more presence in the bass. Clarity and definition with fun attached.

I also have the athm50x that I enjoy too in commuting and generally speaking when listening for "fun", ie when not being critical or analytical

I have not yet bought any mid-price (plus) dacs and amps.
I have the cayin c5.
About to receive the Odac and O2
I have a Polaris oriject amp.

I listen to aiff files via a fiio x5 and a Mac

Even though this is a decision that at the end of the day is a personal one, In your experience, if you were in my shoes, would your next $1k or so outlay be likely to be an upgrade of the dac and amp or to say pick up the he560s?

I have entertained the idea of mid-fi like some Akgs or he400i, etc but i have crossed out that option

I am still yet to audition a range of $500+ amps and dacs but I do appreciate these headphones will get even better with better equipment

Cheers
Peter t

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 3
I have recently bought a pair of hd800s I'm very much enjoying.
These just beat out the he560s in my selections.
The hd800s won due to soundstage and a lively mid/upper end.
The timbre of the he560s is also something that stood out for me with their upper mids presence.
The hd800s is as analytical as I like my headphones to be - which I do and hence my first choice.
The he560s is at the other end (for me) when enjoying more presence in the bass. Clarity and definition with fun attached.
I also have the athm50x that I enjoy too in commuting and generally speaking when listening for "fun", ie when not being critical or analytical
I have not yet bought any mid-price (plus) dacs and amps.
I have the cayin c5.
About to receive the Odac and O2
I have a Polaris oriject amp.
I listen to aiff files via a fiio x5 and a Mac
Even though this is a decision that at the end of the day is a personal one, In your experience, if you were in my shoes, would your next $1k or so outlay be likely to be an upgrade of the dac and amp or to say pick up the he560s?
I have entertained the idea of mid-fi like some Akgs or he400i, etc but i have crossed out that option
I am still yet to audition a range of $500+ amps and dacs but I do appreciate these headphones will get even better with better equipment

As your just getting the ODAC/O2, I think it's a little early on thinking about what your next upgrade will be.
Try the ODAC/O2 for awhile, it might take using the ODAC/O2 for a good period of time to figure out what you really want to improve on.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 3
I saw that here in Australia the he560 went up from $999 to $1250 in stores recently so I started getting itchy.

I'll try to cool my heels.

I guess the question I'll be facing later in having different audio options is should I look at having a small range of dac and amps or a small range of headphones.

I'm sure that would be best answered by auditioning stuff and listening to more experienced views than mine.

I did read a post here from a regular that advised us to enjoy listening to what we have and when we want to expand that to then listen, look out and trial something different to what we're used to. Fair call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back