New HeadRoom Amp(s) Reviewed
Aug 20, 2001 at 9:30 PM Post #16 of 42
If HeadRoom wants to send them down for the Bay Area meeting this coming weekend we'll review them! I have a bunch of HeadRoom amps but they are all the old versions.

Aug 20, 2001 at 9:48 PM Post #17 of 42
why do we need reviews? I can sum it up pretty fast: they sound killer and people need them. easy as that!
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2001 at 3:31 PM Post #19 of 42
ha! I'm not afraid, come on over, we'll take it outside!
very_evil_smiley.gif

And I'll get my ass kicked...
frown.gif

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2001 at 3:40 AM Post #20 of 42
Thanks for all of the gnashing of teeth from those of you who took the post in the spirit it was intended. After a week of fighting switches, power entry modules, discontinued parts, and a particularly virulent virus (Windows I think it is called), I just had to tweak someone.

However, someone did ask why I could not review the amps. There are several possible reasons, you may pick the one(s) that best fit your world view.

1. I have a tin ear.
2. I designed the new amps, if I was to critique them, it would skew the feedback that I get from the users/buyers, and perhaps lead me to make poor design choices in the future.
3. I hate to write, I went into engineering so I would not have to. (And all of you experienced engineers out there know how well that worked out.
confused.gif
)
4. Todd would shoot me.
5. Tyll would write me a long post.
6. I am lazy.
7. I do not have the time.
8. It is more fun to torture you.
9. I really am a evil, cruel, sick, twisted person that enjoys torturing unsuspecting headphone types.

For those of you who are undecided which reason(s) to pick, I would just like to point out that I have spent the last two days listening to:
1. A BlockHead driving 600's.
2. A BlockHead driving RS-1's.
3. An Orpheus.

(Oh, I almost forgot, 'my' amps had the new stepped attenuator option.)

danny

Aug 22, 2001 at 5:17 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

For those of you who are undecided which reason(s) to pick, I would just like to point out that I have spent the last two days listening to:
1. A BlockHead driving 600's.
2. A BlockHead driving RS-1's.
3. An Orpheus.

(Oh, I almost forgot, 'my' amps had the new stepped attenuator option.)

Grrrr... alright danny, that did it...
mad.gif
mad.gif

Hey Neruda, mind lending me that butter knife for a minute?
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

wink.gif

Aug 22, 2001 at 6:04 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

So, when are you going to come up with a tubed max?

I would tell you, but then you would tell Tyll, and he would tell everyone else. As all experienced engineers will tell you, do not tell marketing what you are doing, or what is possible. A case in point, is the 'Red Rose' thread. Some engineer was asked (probably over a beer) 'could you build a headphone amplifier?'. The poor fool said yes. Marketing is now advertizing it, and the engineer is about to be asked 'SO WHERE IS IT?'. His/her reply will be 'what are you talking about, I am designing speakers for the next two years', to which Marketing will say, well we are taking orders (another marketing untruth) and the conversation will degenerate quickly from there.

This is why engineering does not talk to Marketing, and I will not tell you about the new tubed Max.

aren't you sorry you asked

Aug 22, 2001 at 8:51 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

This is why engineering does not talk to Marketing, and I will not tell you about the new tubed Max.

LOL!!!

Being an engineer myself I know EXACTLY what you mean.
I know all too well the evil
very_evil_smiley.gif
that is marketing!

"what do you mean this town is not ready for cable modem service yet?!? I have already sold 1000 orders!"

and no, I'm not sorry I asked.

so between us engineers, when is the tubed max coming?
I won't tell the dark side a word!
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2001 at 9:13 PM Post #29 of 42
Ever see the Dilbert cartoon where a random engineer is re-assigned to marketing? The boss slaps him really hard, so his head is spinning, all the while saying, "This will let you fit in for now."
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2001 at 9:16 PM Post #30 of 42
I LOVE THAT ONE, dhwilkin!

And isn't the two drinks minimum gag from dilbert, too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back