New Innuos Pulse Streamer Series
Jun 3, 2022 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

zen87192

1000+ Head-Fier
So, Innuos have released details of their new series of Streamers, The Pulse, with three versions... Pulse Mini, Pulse and the Pulsar.
The Pulsar includes the Pheonix USB Reclocker built in but as a 'Lite' version.
Can anyone comment on differences between the 'Full' Pheonix and the 'Lite' Pheonix please?
Thanks to all who chime in.. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 85
Interested on this (Pulsar) too. My local dealer carries them. No info still on the 'Lite' version. Don't know how will it fare for a Streamer PC + Phoenix USB setup.

Will see...

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 85
I don't have any specific info beyond the press releases they keep sending, but my initial impression is that the Pulse stuff appears to be very similar to the original models, minus the disc drives. Which makes sense as many people have moved away from physical media these days.

If we take the "mini" models, it lines up perfectly, with Pulse being about US$150 cheaper than the original Zen. That seems about right for leaving out a disc drive and corresponding support pieces.

But then we go up to the next step and the Pulse is priced higher than Zen, lower than Zenith. Closer to Zen though. Not sure what to make of that.

At the top end, the Pulsar is priced a lot higher than Zenith but a lot lower than the Statement. So... my original theory probably doesn't hold up. Innuos certainly doesn't want to compete with itself or cannibalize sales, so surely they planned everything out. Maybe I can dig up an answer and get back to everyone.

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 85
I'll keep an eye on this thread as someone with a Zen Mini Mk.III that's eyeing the LPS + Phoenix USB combo upgrade or saving up (for a while) for the Aqua LinQ to match my La Scala. Maybe one of the Pulse could be an option but not sure.

Sep 11, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 85
Okay, I got the matching LPSU for my Zen Mini last week and it made an appreciable difference, especially in the bass. Sounds lovely.

My thoughts now re: upgrades are the following options (Note - my music library is currently 2/3rds ripped CDs and the rest streaming):

1. Get the Phoenix USB
  2. Get the Phoenix USB & Phoenix NET (unclear how much an improvement this will provide considering I already have the LHY SW-8 switch which was a surprising upgrade)
  3. Get the upcoming Pulsar (same price as a Phoenix USB + NET)
  4. Get the Aqua LINQ (most expensive option)

I'm wondering how close just adding the Phoenix USB would get me to a reference streamer while spending the least dough. Would the Pulsar be that much better? It seems like a one-box version of the Statement (even seems to include the next-gen PSU upgrades from the Statement).

I originally thought that the LINQ would be my long-term upgrade seeing as I have the matching DAC but I have grown to love just how good the Innuos Sense software sounds and the way it manages my music library.

Hoping the new Pulse series gets compared to the rest of the Innuos range by comparison.

Sep 11, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 85
What's tempting to me is Pulsar's one box solution. Next solution is a two box combo (Streamer + Phoenix USB). A Pulse + Phoenix USB could be one. Lately was contemplating about the future... And IMO it's Networking.. So I might be served only by a Phoenix Net. Although a Sonore Signature Rendu SE Tier II is a tad cheaper but hasn't been updated lately. So it is a wait and see.

My library is about 35% CD Flac, 30% DSD, 25% HiRes Flac and 10% Sacd ISO. My question to you is: does the Innuos Sense App supports Sacd ISO playback? Roon or BubbleUPnP does not.

Edit: Innuos gave me a reply. No Sacd ISO..:sweat:.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 85
So after some hemming-and-hawing I've pulled the trigger and ordered the PhoenixUSB over waiting on the Pulsar. My reasons are several:

1. I'm very happy with the sound of my Zen Mini + LPSU and seek to improve upon what's already there without spoiling the balance.
  2. Streaming is still in a high level of flux with new hardware and software rising and falling in quick succession. The PhoenixUSB allows a level of future-proofness and flexibility over sinking funds into an expensive streamer. Which brings me to my next point.
  3. Cost. The Pulsar (or the Aqua LinQ) are huge investments and while the PhoenixUSB isn't cheap it's half the price (or less) than my other options. I suspect (and reviews and testimonials seem to back this up) this gets me close to reference quality for a modest investment. I can always get a PhoenixNET if I want to get as close to a Statement as possible.
Anyhoo, looking forward to taking possession of the unit. I suspect it may need quite some running in.

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 85
I finally heard back from Innuos about the differences between their Pulse and Zen models. Unfortunately it isn't a linear, simple change that tracks equally compared to the Zen mkIII line.

In a nutshell, they told me lots of customers didn't necessarily want/need the CD ripping function, nor the ability to run as a Roon Core. So the Pulse series has no disc drive and are theoretically less powerful as they won't be handling server duties. The Zen line has a mixture of SSD and hard disk storage depending on the model, while all Pulse models only have SSD with no additional storage - which makes sense considering they are not intended to have local files on board. Pulse models also have more RAM - I believe it is double from their Zen counterparts but I am not 100% that applies in every single example.

Essentially we should think of the Zen models as servers whilst the Pulse models are streamers. Which makes a lot of sense I guess. It still isn't quite as clean of a distinction as I'd like, mainly because the Zen line has different configurations (Zen Mini has HDD only but Zen Mini S has SSD for OS and HDD for storage, Zen has HDD for everything, Zenith has SSD for everything). But that might be due to the Zen stuff trickling out over the years while Pulse is a more cohesive product launch.

The top model Pulsar is weird one, as it seems to have a brand new design that they haven't fully explained yet. That's why it costs disproportionally more than the Zenith. Something to do with integrated USB reclocking similar to their Phoenix product. But I guess Pulsar is just about to actually ship so info is still sparse.

Anyway hope this helps in some way. I personally quite like the idea of ditching the CD drive as I would rarely use that, if ever. Same thing with Roon Core abilities - there are plenty of other ways to handle that in a cheaper/more effective way imho.

Feb 12, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 85
After lengthy discussions with my audio dealer, i added a Pulse model to my 2nd 2 channel system. My main rig uses the Zenith Mk3. I wanted to use the Innuos Sense software across both my systems and it made the most sense to add a Pulse unit. Still a few days out from delivery but waiting excitedly to incorporate the new unit. The 2nd biggest selling point of the Pulse is that it offers AES output so that i can move off USB for my secondary DAC which is a Berkeley Alpha Reference series. getting off the USB output on the secondary system was important to me and the Pulse has the extra outputs. We shall see in a few weeks how the investment turns out for me. 🤷‍♂️

Feb 13, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 85
Thanks, let us know how you get on with the Pulse once you have it in the system. I agree, the extra SPDIF outputs are handy, for DACs which don't have USB or just don't sound their best via that input.

I noticed that they are using the older Intel N4200 CPU for the Pulse and Pulse Mini. That's a really low power chip, both in processing power as well as TDP (6W if I recall correctly). I've seen it used for NAS devices as well as fanless miniPC applications, so despite its age I'm not sure if there is a better choice considering the application here - the focus is on reliability, long life, and power efficiency, which are very different priorities than general purpose processors for desktop/laptop use.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 85
New Pulse streamer has arrived, it’s heavy but reasonably compact, built like a small little tank and the feet are really cool, made of various materials with an obvious build to actually perform damping.

This streamer is replacing a SoTM triple stack that was fully upgraded so I am not expecting any sort of night and day difference In SQ. What i was expecting and it happened immediately was better synergy w/ the Berkeley Aplpha Reference DAC, Going from USB to AES is a cleaner, noise free connection in MY system, especially since i use sensitive speakers and often times i would be able to pick up the internal workings of my DAC’s and the streamer when i maxed the gain on the amplifiers and listened for it. This is an advanced tweak/upgrade, it solved a small issue i was having and makes for a blacker background which should allow me to get just a tiny bit more detail, space, depth amd imaging out of my system. I’m good w/ that. 🤌
5774E018-AA89-4CD0-9404-B323E808AD30.jpeg
88FA9221-6DAC-4AA5-991B-BB02398F975D.jpeg
6FE03C70-4435-46DD-B86B-C32145BB07FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #13 of 85
A couple of weeks have gone by and as far as I’m concerned I am comfortable that any possible burn in that may have been required in the new Innuos Pulse streamer has taken place and the electronics should all be settled in. The streamer operates extremely well with ZERO software issues, no drops or hiccups of any kind. The Innuos Sense software, IMO, has the best sound qualities. It is my preferred streaming software over ROON. It is not as technically capable and the ROON AI does a superior job at picking new music for me to try but no matter, the Innuos Sense simply has the better resolution between the two, that’s my personal opinion and I stick to my words until I prove differently to my own ears on my own system.
The Pulse unit itself does NOT seem to color or flavor the sound signature of my system in any direction. I maintain a wide soundstage with excellent depth, height and no localization of my speakers, (more often than not depending on the album and recording/mastering quality) for this I’m thankful and pleased. I don’t have funds or resources to experiment with various high-end cable options. I use an upgraded power and AES cable with a retail cost of approximately $800 for the two and I have left it at that, the performance is what it is w/ them in line.
There is not much more I can add to this update, my Innuos Zenith MK3 handles the “core” duties when I use the Sense software, and I have a custom Intel NUC that I use as my core when switching over to ROON. The pulse integrates with either seamlessly and simply takes a few minutes to switch over from one streaming source to the other. If you have an extra $3k burning a hole in your pocket and you want a solidly built unit with a company that supports you I can happily and comfortably recommend an Innuos unit. Happy Listening to all.

Attachments

• FE6E2898-0A5D-4A98-B6CF-0D13D6116BE3.jpeg
    FE6E2898-0A5D-4A98-B6CF-0D13D6116BE3.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 3531FF41-50AF-4101-B300-8457EB6826EB.jpeg
    3531FF41-50AF-4101-B300-8457EB6826EB.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Oct 28, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 85
Auditioning the Innuos Pulsar at the moment. My dealer has been so kind as to loan it to me for a week.

This is day 2 and so far I’m really, really impressed. This is a BIG step up from my iFi Zen Stream (which I consider excellent value). Even Roon sounds great with the Pulsar 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back