New plug to my Sennheiser CX-300, help needed
Aug 12, 2009 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Fantoon

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

After more than 2 years of heavy usage the original 3,5mm plug decided to give up...i started to hear sound from one channel leaving the other one coming back and forth depending of the position of the cable near the plug.

I went to one of the local stores and bought a new plug for some recabling, cut the cable just above the problem area to find that each cable houses 2 different fine threads of cabling.

The store clerk told me to solder the unit, left and right channel, then the ground. I've done some basic soldering earlier but feeling not that comfortable doing it...my question: Will I be able to hear sound (music) by putting the cables to/through the pins of the new plug...? How about the four fine threads that the cables provide...? How should they be arranged in order to obtain sound...

Can I damage the unit (IEMs) by testing different configurations of cables?

Help is needed cause I've never done something like this earlier...

Thanks!

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 5
Just take your time and concentrate, those fine little wires are not easy to work with but not impossible! The four wires should be separable into the three connections you need. Hopefully two of the wires are the same color, if so they would be the common and the other two are for left and right. The way a stereo plug also called TRS tip, ring sleeve works is the the sleeve is for the common the ring for the right and the tip for the left. If you look at it closely you should be able to see this. Just solder the wires to the appropriate spots and insure there are no stray strands about to cause a short and your good to go. There is tons of info in the DIY cables thread that will be helpful.
Good luck and have fun with it.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by aug_aug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could get a new pair for 16.00 right now online.

16$ CX300s? I am pretty sure they are fake!

To OP: Two of those wires are your ground or return wire. Connect them to the ground of your plug. Then one of the other two is left and the other is right. Solder them to the right pin.
I guess the wires are coated with enamel. You can melt it off with hot solder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back