NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jun 29, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2,431 of 2,741
  It is not much of an issue because I can get plenty volume even on low-gain but since it doesn't happen with the Magni 2 under identical conditions, I just wanted to make sure there was no quick/easy fix.  RickB's suggestion sounds like it would be the best bet.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I know a bit late in this topic, but I had the same crackling / humming issues before. I found out that if our electricity load is very high especially in summer (e.g. lot's of electric fans that is plugged in close to where you plug the amp), this issue gets louder. Try to plug the Asgard to an area with low electricity load and away from microwaves, electric fans or any electricity to mechanical device (i.e. vacuums, etc.) this noise will disappear like you've never heard it before.

Jul 5, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,433 of 2,741
Anything that has a 92.9 db spl or greater @ 50 ohms or less. Adequate for 300 ohms, but a good OTL amp will easily beat the Asgard 2 with high resistance, wide voltage swing HP characteristic.

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #2,434 of 2,741
Hello All,

I am coming back to the hobby after being immersed in my main audio system for a while. I used to own the HD650 and now with my Klipsch-SVS system I think I finally got to a ´point where I enjoy music as much as I did when I had my hd650 paired with a Headphonia lyrix portable DAC/AMP. 

Since I love headphones and blasting the big system isn't always feasible, I am going to get some high end cans and now with a proper headphone amp. I am seriously considering the HD600 instead of the HD650, because as much as i totally loved the Hd650, and its warm character allowed me to listen to music for soooo many hours (im smiling at the thought of it... :)  ), I did find myself sometimes wanting something more aggressive, maybe something like what I have now with Klipsch and my Yamaha receiver. So, because of that I am going back to the HD600.

I am considering the M&M 2 uber stack, but since I do see the HD800 in a not so distant future, I have been reading like crazy about the difference between the the magni 2 uber and the asgard 2, and how they compared in terms of SQ when paired with the high end Sennheisers. 

For those of you owning the HD600 and HD800 with both magni 2 uber and Asgard 2, should I get the magni and be over it or should I go with the Asgard 2??

I find it odd that most people say the HD800 are harder to drive than HD6X0, because it has a quite crazy 102dB sensitivity, considerably greater than both high end HD6X0.  

Thoughts??

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #2,435 of 2,741
  Hello All,

I am coming back to the hobby after being immersed in my main audio system for a while. I used to own the HD650 and now with my Klipsch-SVS system I think I finally got to a ´point where I enjoy music as much as I did when I had my hd650 paired with a Headphonia lyrix portable DAC/AMP. 

Since I love headphones and blasting the big system isn't always feasible, I am going to get some high end cans and now with a proper headphone amp. I am seriously considering the HD600 instead of the HD650, because as much as i totally loved the Hd650, and its warm character allowed me to listen to music for soooo many hours (im smiling at the thought of it... :)  ), I did find myself sometimes wanting something more aggressive, maybe something like what I have now with Klipsch and my Yamaha receiver. So, because of that I am going back to the HD600.

I am considering the M&M 2 uber stack, but since I do see the HD800 in a not so distant future, I have been reading like crazy about the difference between the the magni 2 uber and the asgard 2, and how they compared in terms of SQ when paired with the high end Sennheisers. 

For those of you owning the HD600 and HD800 with both magni 2 uber and Asgard 2, should I get the magni and be over it or should I go with the Asgard 2??

I find it odd that most people say the HD800 are harder to drive than HD6X0, because it has a quite crazy 102dB sensitivity, considerably greater than both high end HD6X0.  

Thoughts??

For sound quality I find both amps to sound very similar. Asgard 2 has a better volume pot, and stacks better with the Bifrost; if either of those are a concern/consideration then I'd go with the Asgard 2.

Personally, I love both the HD600 and HD800S with my Bifrost MB / Asgard 2 combo, but when I tried out the M/M stack (not with the HD800S though) I had a very hard time telling them apart. I feel (without having tested, since I no longer have my Modi) that I would have an easier time telling it and the Multibit Bifrost apart, but I doubt I'd be able to tell amp differences.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #2,436 of 2,741
  Hello All,

Thoughts??

From what I gather from this site, solid state Schiit amps won't be the best with high impedance headphones like the 800, might want to look at the Valhalla or other OTL tube amps. Not my own experience though, just the widely regarded opinion around here.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #2,437 of 2,741
  From what I gather from this site, solid state Schiit amps won't be the best with high impedance headphones like the 800, might want to look at the Valhalla or other OTL tube amps. Not my own experience though, just the widely regarded opinion around here.

Valhalla may be even better, but Asgard 2 sounds excellent to me. And not trying to disagree, as it's always possible that if I got to hear the Valhalla 2 side by side with my Asgard 2 that I'd prefer it as well, but I can at least say that it does play very well with HD600 and 800S. Maybe you need to like clean/SS type sound, or maybe there's a further level that I haven't heard yet (certainly possible), but solid state and Sennheiser do go together pretty well.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2,438 of 2,741

Valhalla may be even better, but Asgard 2 sounds excellent to me. And not trying to disagree, as it's always possible that if I got to hear the Valhalla 2 side by side with my Asgard 2 that I'd prefer it as well, but I can at least say that it does play very well with HD600 and 800S. Maybe you need to like clean/SS type sound, or maybe there's a further level that I haven't heard yet (certainly possible), but solid state and Sennheiser do go together pretty well.

Defiant, I read your nice comparisson yesterday. I thought your conclusion was that the Magni 2 uber is about the same as asgard 2, especially for the HD600. Did I misunderstand you?

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #2,439 of 2,741
  Defiant, I read your nice comparisson yesterday. I thought your conclusion was that the Magni 2 uber is about the same as asgard 2, especially for the HD600. Did I misunderstand you?

Since it's an older comparison it was the original Magni and Asgard, but no, you've got it right, they sounded basically the same to me.

I'd mainly pick Asgard 2 for:
1. Nicer volume control.
2. Stacks better with the Bifrost.

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2,440 of 2,741

Since it's an older comparison it was the original Magni and Asgard, but no, you've got it right, they sounded basically the same to me.

I'd mainly pick Asgard 2 for:
1. Nicer volume control.
2. Stacks better with the Bifrost.

Thanks!

Have you tried any of Schiit's tube amps?  Since I am practically convinced of going with Magni 2 Uber I am considering getting a taste of their tubes. Even the vali 2 seems solid for both hd6x0 with 270mW into 300ohms. 

I dont think I would get the Bitfrost or a higher end DAC for while. Ive had some experience with DACs and after certain threshold they just seem the same to my ears. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #2,441 of 2,741
  Thanks!

Have you tried any of Schiit's tube amps?  Since I am practically convinced of going with Magni 2 Uber I am considering getting a taste of their tubes. Even the vali 2 seems solid for both hd6x0 with 270mW into 300ohms. 

I dont think I would get the Bitfrost or a higher end DAC for while. Ive had some experience with DACs and after certain threshold they just seem the same to my ears. 

I briefly heard an original Lyr years ago, but nothing useful on any of their current range. I'd probably go with the Vali 2 if you want a relatively inexpensive way to try out tubes.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #2,443 of 2,741
GUYS WOULD YOU SAY THAT THE ASGARD 2 IS SUITABLE FOR THE AUDEZE LCD2
AUDEZE SAY THAT ONE TO FOUR WATTS IS OK FOR THE LCD2 BUT IM FEELING THAT 
THE ASGARD 2 IS LACKING POWER FOR THE LCD2 WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK
SHOULD I GO FOR A MORE POWERFULL AMP FOR THESE .

CHEERS GUYS .

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #2,444 of 2,741
  GUYS WOULD YOU SAY THAT THE ASGARD 2 IS SUITABLE FOR THE AUDEZE LCD2
AUDEZE SAY THAT ONE TO FOUR WATTS IS OK FOR THE LCD2 BUT IM FEELING THAT 
THE ASGARD 2 IS LACKING POWER FOR THE LCD2 WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK
SHOULD I GO FOR A MORE POWERFULL AMP FOR THESE .

CHEERS GUYS .

That upper case comes across as either yelling or a 1960's Cobol program's output, so don't so that.
wink_face.gif

I have a couple of Hifiman cans (500 and 560) which do fine on the Asgard 2. What is the impedance and sensitivity of your set of cans? Those spec's can be used to work out an answer.
Going over 120 dBSPL is going to be painful and many say that reaching 115 dBSPL is more than good enough as it is unlikely that anyone would turn up the volume enough to get there. The reality is that recorded music does not have enough DR nor is it safe for your ears to listen at very loud levels for long.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #2,445 of 2,741
  That upper case comes across as either yelling or a 1960's Cobol program's output, so don't so that.
wink_face.gif

I have a couple of Hifiman cans (500 and 560) which do fine on the Asgard 2. What is the impedance and sensitivity of your set of cans? Those spec's can be used to work out an answer.
Going over 120 dBSPL is going to be painful and many say that reaching 115 dBSPL is more than good enough as it is unlikely that anyone would turn up the volume enough to get there. The reality is that recorded music does not have enough DR nor is it safe for your ears to listen at very loud levels for long.

lol sorry about the upper case my caps lock was stuck for some unknown reason and was in a hurry ,
anyway back to the topic , the lcd 2 are 60ohm .
its not a question of turning the volume up till your ears pop, its the fact that they need more power to reach their full potential .
and do not agree that 1 watt of power per channel at 50ohm is sufficient to drive these planers the asgard will drive them but not to their full potential imho.
i have heard the lc2 2.2 on the lyr 2 and it has more punch and control in the low end i put that down to the 4 watts of power per channel on the lyr
 on the asgard 2 the low end was lacking somewhat. power is essential not just to blow your ear drums to kingdom come .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back