NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Feb 25, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #2,161 of 2,168
Schiit's are pretty tough pieces of gear.
That's good! :smile_phones:
I was also wondering (I am not a tech guy)
if 2 tubes in the 1st cascade - are they working one per a channel?
I.e. in parallel - one tube for left, another for right?
And does the Lyr 2 schematics has a sort of anode current aligning
between 2 tubes?
So that if I have 2 tubes of the same type and model but due to different mnfg years for example
they have a bit different anode current parameters each I nevertheless can use them?

UPD: I've asked Schiit support and they responded:
Yes, the tubes on the Lyr 2 are in parallel (one per channel). You can use tubes of the same type but we recommend having them matched to at least 2% to avoid channel imbalance.
The Lyr 2 does not have auto current alignment. Make sure to use 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, 6N23P, and 6BZ7 tube types and that they are matched.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #2,163 of 2,168
FWIW I use tube socket protectors since removing and swapping tubes with the given height makes tube removal a real chore, with the socket savers they stick out far enough to grasp and pull firmly. I would recommend getting some anyways, I can't image the SQ would take a hit, as they are just conductors that you're attaching pins to, feeding the same tube from the same circuit.

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #2,164 of 2,168
FWIW I use tube socket protectors since removing and swapping tubes with the given height makes tube removal a real chore, with the socket savers they stick out far enough to grasp and pull firmly. I would recommend getting some anyways, I can't image the SQ would take a hit, as they are just conductors that you're attaching pins to, feeding the same tube from the same circuit.
The ones I tried were poor conductors and sounded as such. Which savers are you using?

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #2,165 of 2,168
I have a Lyr 2 and never felt the need to sidegrade to another amplifier, but I was curious about the Liquid Carbon. They now have a massdrop edition. I don't know if it has a spacious sound but it is said to be warm. I will have to try it someday.

The Lyr 2 is very neutral with LISST tubes. And with most tubes I have tried especially the russians reflektor it stays very neutral.

I listened to the Liquid Carbon - its first iteration anyway some years back with a variety of headphones.
IMO it was pretty neutral and accurate but a full sound. I remember others saying how "warm" it was. Thats BS to me.
It was not a warm sound, just a bigger more powerful sound.

But perhaps later updates were made to the Carbon to make it warmer or a different SQ.
IMO, there is no real comparison b/w the Carbon and Lyr in terms of warmth.

Feb 28, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #2,166 of 2,168
I listened to the Liquid Carbon - its first iteration anyway some years back with a variety of headphones.
IMO it was pretty neutral and accurate but a full sound. I remember others saying how "warm" it was. Thats BS to me.
It was not a warm sound, just a bigger more powerful sound.

But perhaps later updates were made to the Carbon to make it warmer or a different SQ.
IMO, there is no real comparison b/w the Carbon and Lyr in terms of warmth.

I own both the Lyr 2 and the Massdrop edition of the Carbon. IMO the Carbon is MAYBE a touch warmer than neutral but I don't find it overly so. I haven't closely analyzed the two since I use them in different rooms but I don't think one is noticeably warmer than the other. They are both very good for the power they deliver (and cost) but I probably prefer the Lyr 2 since I can slightly alter the sound with tubes.

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #2,167 of 2,168
The ones I tried were poor conductors and sounded as such. Which savers are you using?
I just used generic black bakelite 9-pin sockets, can be bought online. If you're concerned about SQ you could also remove your tubes, look at the part Schiit uses on the PCB, and get those

Mar 1, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #2,168 of 2,168
Just wanted to revive the thread a bit. :)
Does someone use "tube savers" to protect the stock sockets or they are robust enough to live
through infrequent tube changes?
I've been using the ones from Tube Monger, well made and haven't had any issues with them over the past 5 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back