New V Moda Crossfade M100 Master
Jul 31, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #106 of 208
Have you read any of the reviews for the M-100 Master on Amazon at the bottom of the page there?

Very, very helpful -- especially the last one (for me, at least)! :yum:

Anyway, a few hours ago I made my final decision regarding the new M-100 Master, which I wrote about flamboyantly and boisterously on the topic thread for the original M-100 at this link.

Later....

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #108 of 208
Does anyone have first-hand experience with both the original and master models of M100? If so I have just one question regarding them. Compared to the original model, does the master have more of sound clarity or flat response? I really hope they just sound more clear as I am not looking for flat response/reference cans. I haven't had either model and I'm really debating whether to just get the original or wait for the master to arrive in Canada.

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #109 of 208
Does anyone have first-hand experience with both the original and master models of M100? If so I have just one question regarding them. Compared to the original model, does the master have more of sound clarity or flat response? I really hope they just sound more clear as I am not looking for flat response/reference cans. I haven't had either model and I'm really debating whether to just get the original or wait for the master to arrive in Canada.

After listening to both extensively, I'd say that the M100 master and M100 have the same goal in mind, but the M100 master is more refined. Everything just seems tighter and clearer.
I ended up returning my original M100 because I felt the M100 master was worth the extra $50 I paid for them.

Hope this helps.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #111 of 208
The good thing that Roland brings to the table is their worldwide distribution. These should be avaible at guitarcenter soon.

There is now a new review on Amazon stating that the Master is muddy compared to the original M100. I really wonder what's going on here. Perceptions can't be that far apart. Maybe model to model variation?

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #112 of 208
The good thing that Roland brings to the table is their worldwide distribution. These should be avaible at guitarcenter soon.

There is now a new review on Amazon stating that the Master is muddy compared to the original M100. I really wonder what's going on here. Perceptions can't be that far apart. Maybe model to model variation?

Lol They've obviously never heard the lp if they think the master is muddy.

For real though, I'm not really surprised. In my experience, anything else will sound weird after listening to the same thing for an extended amount of time. Just like new shoes.

Aug 3, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #113 of 208
I received the Speakeasy DAC cable yesterday, which I bought to be able to use the Master directly from my iPhone. While I won't get back to cables for mobile use anytime soon, this combination might be put to use at the office. And it works quite well.

To me the Master has a much better defined bass that lets me hear more details down low, while still having a fun signature. Treble is clear, with an airy touch even, while not sharp in any way. There is definitely a familiar sound that is a common thread through all V-Moda models I know (M-80, M-100, CFW, CF2, CF2 Codex, M-100 Master). I could not wear the M-80 due to my sensitivity to on-ear headphones and I always felt it being a bit dull, but starting with the M-100 I really liked the sound signature. The CF2 and now the Master seem as an evolved, refined version, getting better and better while not loosing its character.

It is sad to see Val go, because obviously he spent a lot of work on making those headphones. Hopefully Roland will keep the spirit alive. But I think they did not get into this without a plan to do so -- they could have built up a headphone portfolio in other ways just as well.

Anyway -- I'm happy with this new model. And it may well serve me for a long time just as the original M-100 did. Its gorgeous to look at, nice to handle and a lot of fun to listen to. Actually a much better fun/price factor than most high-end headphones I used to own...

Aug 3, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #114 of 208
To me the Master has a much better defined bass that lets me hear more details down low, while still having a fun signature. Treble is clear, with an airy touch even, while not sharp in any way. There is definitely a familiar sound that is a common thread through all V-Moda models I know (M-80, M-100, CFW, CF2, CF2 Codex, M-100 Master). I could not wear the M-80 due to my sensitivity to on-ear headphones and I always felt it being a bit dull, but starting with the M-100 I really liked the sound signature. The CF2 and now the Master seem as an evolved, refined version, getting better and better while not loosing its character.

This is pretty much how I feel. Comparing the Master to the recent CF2, you can tell they have tailored their house sound. The bass is the most prominent improvement IMO...previously it was a bit too much and basically vibrated my ear when the volume was up. The new one doesn’t do that because it’s a bit more controlled and clear. Not just loud to be loud. They refined it and textured it more than ever before and it makes it more enjoyable.

I was skeptical when I first got the Master...how could it be better than the M100 original...I mean it looks identical and near as I can tell the hardware is the same but they have definitely tuned the driver better, which I appreciate. The ear pads are LIGHT years more comfortable than the original and don’t distort the sound as much as the XL pads. So that improvement is ideal.

Aug 3, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #115 of 208
Do you guys think some people, IE bassheads, would prefer the older version still?

Is the Treble more airy on the Master, or similar to the older one? I liked the treble on the older one too, it had some sparkle and air without ever getting harsh. What does the new voice coil on the master do to tune/change the sound?

In terms of clarity/resolution, where do the Masters sit in comparisons with headphones from other manufacturers? How much did they step up from the original M100?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #117 of 208
Currently planning to use the Immortal Life Program with my M80s to get a pair of M100 or M100 Master, leaning towards the latter at the moment.

I have read countless comments on M100 pads being uncomfortable and requiring the XL pads if you want to keep them on for 1+ hours, but do the Master use the same pads and require the XL as well?

I read some comments in this thread that state the Master are more comfortable, do they come with the XL out of the box?
Wondering if I should buy a pair of XL pads with the Master.

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #118 of 208
Currently planning to use the Immortal Life Program with my M80s to get a pair of M100 or M100 Master, leaning towards the latter at the moment.

I have read countless comments on M100 pads being uncomfortable and requiring the XL pads if you want to keep them on for 1+ hours, but do the Master use the same pads and require the XL as well?

I read some comments in this thread that state the Master are more comfortable, do they come with the XL out of the box?
Wondering if I should buy a pair of XL pads with the Master.

Read two posts up...they are in the middle of the original and XL pads. Way more comfortable than the originals.

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #119 of 208
Read two posts up...they are in the middle of the original and XL pads. Way more comfortable than the originals.
Thanks for the quick reply, saw your post on pg.7 but must have missed the one above.

If the Master pads are light years better than the M100 but you can only listen to them for 1~2 hours, I guess the M100 pads are pretty bad for long usage.
I tried them out quite a while ago for 5~10 minutes and didn't have an issue, but clamping force did seem a bit strong.

Anyways, guess I'll go ahead and get a pair of the Masters, they seem to have the signature I'm looking for; a more refined, controlled version of the V-MODA sound.

Aug 4, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #120 of 208
The pads introduced with the CF2 are a bit less deep than the original XL pads, but as I understand they use memory foam instead, so overall fit should be better than with the XL pads. CF2 and Master use the same pads as far as I know (and the do look the same).

I would have appreciated a larger inner opening, but yes, they are more comfortable than the original M-100 pads. With the Master (and the CF2 Codex) I did not stretch out the headband, clamping force is OK for me (with the original M-100 it was a bit high, so I did stretch the headband).

Its hard to get a recommendation right... to me the bass on the Master sounds better than with the other variants, clearer but still with lots of impact. A bit too much midbass was always my main critical point with the M-100, this is resolved with the Master (with the CF2 Codex right behind them). All of them have a very tasteful elevation of bass, but the Master hits my target best: I like bass strong but with good resolution (i.e. not simply resonating just for the pure amount of bass but showing details and control) and not hitting too hard (i.e. more sub- than midbass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back