NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Sep 11, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #4,232 of 4,971
Got the Vali last weekend to replace a Rolls HA43 Pro.

I was disappointed with the initial listen, because I didn't read up enough and know I had to wait for the tubes to get properly warm. Boy, what a difference that made! Very happy with this little amp.

Sep 19, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #4,234 of 4,971
I don't own a Vali but recently listened to one driving my HD800.  I must say that I am 100% impressed at what this amp can do as far as SQ for so little $.  Wow...

Sep 26, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #4,235 of 4,971
  Hi JHern, shouldn't something like the below work?

http://www.soundhouse.co.jp/shop/ProductDetail.asp?Item=656%5EAC16V1A%5E%5E

Edit: Of course, the tips need to match, and regulated/unregulated may be another thing to consider. But I thought maybe you can find an adapter you can use in Japan, rather than getting a voltage transformer. Just a thought. Maybe I'm way off.

Looks OK to me (Vali consumption only 8W), being AC regulated/unregulated doesn't come in to it, ask Schiit if specs OK (maybe they'll sell you a Vali without adaptor for a discount
wink_face.gif
).

Sorry, didn't see this until now, the replies were channeled into my spam folder somehow. When I asked the Schiit tech they specifically said I would need a step-up transformer...if powering the Schiit amp were so simple as buying a different AC power supply, they probably would have said so when I asked...no? I just don't want a step-up transformer and then another boxy AC US voltage converter on top of it cluttering up my power strips...this is simply unacceptable (we don't have an infinite amount of space to work with here in Tokyo, and I HATE clutter).

Sep 26, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #4,236 of 4,971

Sorry, didn't see this until now, the replies were channeled into my spam folder somehow. When I asked the Schiit tech they specifically said I would need a step-up transformer...if powering the Schiit amp were so simple as buying a different AC power supply, they probably would have said so when I asked...no? I just don't want a step-up transformer and then another boxy AC US voltage converter on top of it cluttering up my power strips...this is simply unacceptable (we don't have an infinite amount of space to work with here in Tokyo, and I HATE clutter).

vali-back.jpg

Any 16VAC 500mA plus plug pack would be fine (with the correct size plug to fit the socket).
I'm sure such things are available in Japan for the local market, yes?
So try to get the Vali without plug pack if you can and save cost and postage.
I have no idea why the Schiit "tech" would say otherwise, I would like to see his reply to you, can you post it?

From Australian distributor (for 240Volt supply):

"Power Supply: “wall wart” style 16VAC transformer, ...
...Power Consumption: 8W"

No mention of step-down transformer - just a local spec plug pack.

EDIT: Makes kind of angry, support like that from the manufacturer.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #4,238 of 4,971
  So try to get the Vali without plug pack if you can and save cost and postage.
I have no idea why the Schiit "tech" would say otherwise, I would like to see his reply to you, can you post it?

Eh why would you think Schiit would do any hassly "custom deals"? Do you think they would discount a $10 from AC adaptor (their sale price) which costs them probably $1-2? It's probably good chunk of profit from the whole sale. Postage is probably the same regardless of the small weight difference and precalculated. NOT to mention the horror that would ensure when they give green light for people to buy any adapters they want. Probably half of them would get a wrong DC adaptor, blow Vali to pieces, demand money back and rant on forums. I suggest reading the Schiit story to see how they operate..

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #4,239 of 4,971

Eh why would you think Schiit would do any hassly "custom deals"?

I didn't, it was just a stir, perhaps I should have appended a smiley face
tongue.gif

. I suggest reading the Schiit story to see how they operate...
... Probably half of them would get a wrong DC adaptor, blow Vali to pieces

I have.

Perhaps they should expand their range of Chinese wall warts to include one for the Japanese market . (USA, EURO, UK and AUS are catered for...).

EDIT:
Hopefully Schiit designed the power supply regulation in the Vali to tolerate a reasonable over-voltage and be immune (not harmed, not working ) if fed low AC voltage or DC; basic design Schiit.

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #4,242 of 4,971
Would this amp be too noisy for a pair of Grado SR80e's, I am looking to get an amp soon and I think the sonic signature of this amp would pair well with my phones. Has anybody had experience pairing this amp with Grados? I am also considering the magni, but I have read that it sounds bright and that is not what I am looking for to pair with the Grados. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #4,243 of 4,971
Would anyone be interested in a power supply unit encased in the small schiit chassis (to match vali/magni/etc.), offered as an upgrade to the wall wart supplied with the small chassis Schiit units? One could stack a piece of their Schiit on this PSU, and ditch the wall wart for a possible better sq. Doesn't seem like that bad an idea to me.

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #4,244 of 4,971
  Would anyone be interested in a power supply unit encased in the small schiit chassis (to match vali/magni/etc.), offered as an upgrade to the wall wart supplied with the small chassis Schiit units? One could stack a piece of their Schiit on this PSU, and ditch the wall wart for a possible better sq. Doesn't seem like that bad an idea to me.

Seeing the 16VAC from the wall wart is regulated internally to 60V (plate), 26V(SS buffer), and 1.2V(heater) a replacement in a box would either be as simple as the wall wart (not an upgrade) or rather complicated and necessitate a multi-pin connector and the modification of the Vali's internal power.
So unless you just want to pay way more just for the pretties ... or want to see how high you can stack Schiit
wink.gif

(Take the cases apart and get them plated?)

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #4,245 of 4,971

Other than aesthetics, there is nothing to be gained. This wall wart is not a noisy switching supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back